Overwatch -- Lightboost 120Hz + Fast Sync

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
daniloberserk

Re: Overwatch -- Lightboost 120Hz + Fast Sync

Post by daniloberserk » 23 Aug 2017, 14:47

RealNC wrote:If the in-game limiter is jittery, it means it renders faster than the limit. So you'll probably get more lag with it than with RTSS.

And again: you need 144.008Hz. 144.002 is not enough. So you should raise it in CRU until you get 144.008 in the test.

Or, use the fractional FPS limit of RTSS, using the LimitDenominator setting. In that case you leave the monitor at 144Hz and use a 143.992FPS limit.
So I finally get home and here is my tests (if I did everything correctly):

If I raise the cap on CRU to 144.015Hz I get this values:

It's good enough? Unfortunately if I change to 144.014Hz it goes all way down to 144.002Hz... Not sure why.

So, this is my test now with the RTSS cap to 144:

An incredible flat line! But it seems as good as before if you check the other screenshots, same 6.9ms value and flat line.

The ingame limiter seems better to, but a little above (7.2ms~) and a little jitttery. But RTSS seems better overall!

This is just mindblowing! Vsync + Blur Reduction + low input lag! I honestly can't believe yet!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Aug 2017, 18:43

The only way to be sure whether RTSS or the in-game limiter gives you the least latency, is to actually measure it. Unfortunately, no one has done that yet. I just suspect that it's RTSS that gives less latency here, since it's able to prevent the game from reaching the vsync limit. The in-game limiter is jittery, and that means the game hits the vsync limit often.

But until someone measures this, it's just conjecture on my part.

Btw, you can get a "second opinion" on the real Hz of the monitor here:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=refreshrate
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

daniloberserk

Post by daniloberserk » 23 Aug 2017, 19:34

RealNC wrote:The only way to be sure whether RTSS or the in-game limiter gives you the least latency, is to actually measure it. Unfortunately, no one has done that yet. I just suspect that it's RTSS that gives less latency here, since it's able to prevent the game from reaching the vsync limit. The in-game limiter is jittery, and that means the game hits the vsync limit often.

But until someone measures this, it's just conjecture on my part.

Btw, you can get a "second opinion" on the real Hz of the monitor here:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=refreshrate
I hope someone with the right gear test when possible! But seems very interesting so far!

Didn't know you guys already had a test here! It seems the same 144.011Hz value (when it is stable after a couple of seconds).

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 Aug 2017, 20:34

144.011Hz is perfectly fine, btw. Even 144.02Hz is still OK. The time between frame skips is still large. (The higher the difference between cap and refresh gets, the more frequent frame skips will occur.)

Frame skips start to actually become noticeable once you get to a 0.05 difference or so. This depends on the game; you will notice them easier in a racing game that has constant smooth movement, for example.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

daniloberserk

Post by daniloberserk » 23 Aug 2017, 22:11

RealNC wrote:144.011Hz is perfectly fine, btw. Even 144.02Hz is still OK. The time between frame skips is still large. (The higher the difference between cap and refresh gets, the more frequent frame skips will occur.)

Frame skips start to actually become noticeable once you get to a 0.05 difference or so. This depends on the game; you will notice them easier in a racing game that has constant smooth movement, for example.
Ty very much for all your patience! I'll try to fine tune here!

drmcninja

Post by drmcninja » 04 Sep 2017, 12:55

Step 2 different method: Using CRU

Instead of using a fractional RTSS frame rate limit, you can instead continue using the default frame cap, but instead modify your monitor's refresh rate slightly. You can do that using CRU:

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... tility-CRU

For example, if you want to cap to 60FPS, modify your 60Hz mode to 60.007Hz. For 120FPS, modify your refresh rate to 120.007Hz.

The downside to using CRU for this is that you need to re-apply your edits every time you upgrade your GPU drivers.
Is this still accurate? My CRU still seems to keep the custom resolution, even after I upgraded my Nvidia drivers...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Sep 2017, 13:14

drmcninja wrote:

Instead of using a fractional RTSS frame rate limit, you can instead continue using the default frame cap, but instead modify your monitor's refresh rate slightly. You can do that using CRU:

For example, if you want to cap to 60FPS, modify your 60Hz mode to 60.007Hz. For 120FPS, modify your refresh rate to 120.007Hz.

The downside to using CRU for this is that you need to re-apply your edits every time you upgrade your GPU drivers.
Is this still accurate? My CRU still seems to keep the custom resolution, even after I upgraded my Nvidia drivers...
Have you rebooted? It loses the settings after a reboot.

Which isn't a problem. You can export all your current tweaks in CRU into a .bin file, and then import it again after the upgrade.

drmcninja

Post by drmcninja » 04 Sep 2017, 14:24

RealNC wrote:
drmcninja wrote:

Have you rebooted? It loses the settings after a reboot.

Which isn't a problem. You can export all your current tweaks in CRU into a .bin file, and then import it again after the upgrade.
Just rebooted, the custom resolutions (240.010 it says, but shows up as 240.011-240.012 in vsynctester.com as well as the custom 182Hz one I added, which isn't included with the monitor) are still there in CRU utility. o_O