Stutter Problem in CS:GO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
dnp

Stutter Problem in CS:GO

Post by dnp » 18 Jun 2014, 07:36

Hey, I've been having stutter problems since January, it occurs when in a fire fight. I'm always over 120 fps, my net, temps, choke, is fine. 6/11, no EPP, 500hz kana v2 w/tapefix 400dpi/2.6 My PC Set-Up is the following:

- MONITOR: Benq XL2411T @ 120hz in-game

- GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2048MB TwinFrozr III ( not OC'd )

- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4 GHz ( not OC'd )

* Disk Drives: 1TB WD Black 7200rpm 64MB, SSD 120GB Intel 330
* RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP
* PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650, 650W 80+ Gold
* MB: ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX
* CPU-FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
What I've tried is the following;
* Verified Game Cache
* Re-Installed Windows 7 64 ult and CS:GO, once on HDD, and once on SSD
* Updated drivers; GFX, Realtek, Chipset, motherboard drivers etc.
* Deleting my .cfg file and trying both default and my friend's one
* Scanning for; Virus with Multiple Anti-Virus programs, Disk Drive problems
* Trying all kinds of older drivers
* Buying a new Motherboard (MSI Z77 G41)
* Un-Plugging GFX-Card and using CPU-Integrated Graphics
* Changing GFX power cord
* All kinds of Launch Options, -processheap, -threads 4 -high etc
* Unparking all of my CPU-Cores
* Underclocking GFX-Card
* Tried all kinds of Ingame Video Settings and Nvidia Settings
* Locking fps to 121, 128 etc
* Tried V-Sync on/off, tried 60hz
* Tried different mouse
I'm willing to reward the person who finds a solution with an ingame skin worth of ~ 50€ of your choice, or just money via PayPal.
My steam: cs_mannen90, I have posted this on reddit also. http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive ... 50_reward/

Trip

Re: Stutter Problem in CS:GO

Post by Trip » 18 Jun 2014, 08:29

You can do a frame time test with fraps to insure you have good rendering times and it is not micro stutter. Just download fraps and under the benchmark tab click frame times. Once you see the stutter occurring just press the predefined benchmark key and it will save them in a .csv file I believe. Later you can watch the graph back with this nifty tool http://sourceforge.net/projects/frafsbenchview/files/ to stay as accurate as possible I would start the benchmark the moment you experience the stutter. If this is smooth(nice even graph) your pc is probably fine if not it might be a component or setting that could be the culprit. Do not use fps as the resolution of fps is not high enough frame render times are way better to see micro stutters. Else most likely it is your internet which is a horrible to thing to fix in general.

dnp

Post by dnp » 18 Jun 2014, 10:20

[quote="Trip"]You can do a frame time test with fraps to insure you have good rendering times and it is not micro stutter. Just download fraps and under the benchmark tab click frame times. Once you see the stutter occurring just press the predefined benchmark key and it will save them in a .csv file I believe. Later you can watch the graph back with this nifty tool http://sourceforge.net/projects/frafsbenchview/files/ to stay as accurate as possible I would start the benchmark the moment you experience the stutter. If this is smooth(nice even graph) your pc is probably fine if not it might be a component or setting that could be the culprit. Do not use fps as the resolution of fps is not high enough frame render times are way better to see micro stutters.

this sounds very complicated, but I'll give it a go, ill report back

dnp

Post by dnp » 18 Jun 2014, 11:14

dnp wrote:
Trip wrote:You can do a frame time test with fraps to insure you have good rendering times and it is not micro stutter. Just download fraps and under the benchmark tab click frame times. Once you see the stutter occurring just press the predefined benchmark key and it will save them in a .csv file I believe. Later you can watch the graph back with this nifty tool http://sourceforge.net/projects/frafsbenchview/files/ to stay as accurate as possible I would start the benchmark the moment you experience the stutter. If this is smooth(nice even graph) your pc is probably fine if not it might be a component or setting that could be the culprit. Do not use fps as the resolution of fps is not high enough frame render times are way better to see micro stutters.

this sounds very complicated, but I'll give it a go, ill report back
http://puu.sh/9z9sw/5b1d831289.png

Trip

Post by Trip » 18 Jun 2014, 13:31

It seems ok on first look the slowest was 16ms which is very good since if that would be constant it would still be 60 fps. I cant see any problems with your hardware then could be packet loss but this is harder to test. Sorry man but from these graphs your hardware looks to be working fine most likely your internet connection I think or server sided. Not that knowledgeable in that regard afaik.

Small edit: If you are really used to very high frame rates maybe those drops back to 16ms might even be seen as stutter. you could try to limit the framerate to a lower value so these variations have a smaller effect on your eyes but it seems unlikely this is the culprit.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Jun 2014, 15:26

Many people get that. Me too. It's been mentioned before:

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=798

Some people claim that it gets better if you logout of Windows and then in a gain, or you put the PC to sleep and then wake it up again prior to starting the game. Doesn't seem to help much here though.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

flood

Post by flood » 18 Jun 2014, 19:45

for my case it was very specific circumstances (listen server, no bots, t side dust2) that caused the game itself to stutter. not related to OP's problem.

OP: on reddit you uploaded a demo showing the problem...
If the problem is visible in the demo, it's probably due to the game itself and your sensitivity to stutters rather than a problem with your hardware/setup

I'll take a look though

edit:
k that's really weird... I looked at it at 25% speed (shift+f2 while playing demo) and there's ridiculous stuttering even when you're turning.