what tweaks to make for the lowest input lag possible?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Kirayamato

what tweaks to make for the lowest input lag possible?

Post by Kirayamato » 21 Jun 2014, 18:29

ok i just wanted to ask what tweaks are the best from the gurus here I want my input lag chain to be the lowest possible the normal stuff like mouse at 1000 hz is done anyways wanted to ask a few questions to please add things that you know that help but i didn't ask because i probably dont know them yet?

1) hpet should be on or off for the best input lag? some people say have it on some say off so dont know for sure
2) ingame settings that can help?
3) bios settings?
4) ssd ram settings?
5) any specific keyboard settings?

Q83Ia7ta

Re: what tweaks to make for the lowest input lag possible?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 21 Jun 2014, 19:49

Kirayamato wrote: 1) hpet should be on or off for the best input lag? some people say have it on some say off so dont know for sure
2) ingame settings that can help?
3) bios settings?
4) ssd ram settings?
5) any specific keyboard settings?
1. OFF in most cases. Check at DPC Latency Checker.
2. Native resolution of display, v-sync off, triple buffering off, higher refresh rate.
4. Doesn't matter.
5. No.

flood

Post by flood » 22 Jun 2014, 00:22

Q83Ia7ta wrote:Check at DPC Latency Checker.
is there anything other than anecdotal reports that dpc latency is related to game smoothness?

I may be wrong, but it seems to be a "placebo" thing. of course if the latency is ridiculously high (several ms) then that's a sign that something's bad in the system, but I've seen threads where people obsess over, for instance, 20us vs 10us.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 Jun 2014, 01:15

Yeah, the DPC thingy is getting ridiculous. I've seen people going to great effort, including wiping out the entire system and reinstalling everything from scratch in order to get from 40us to 20us, only to then launch something like Mumble or TeamSpeak for their online game, which naturally raises the DPC latency to about ~500us and makes those 20us they're trying to gain just statistical background noise :lol:
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Berserker

Post by Berserker » 22 Jun 2014, 07:08

1) Hpet off, very noticeable on my old 2007 and z68 motherboards.
2) Lower the graphical setting the shorter is the rendering pipeline, most laggy settings: high quality ambient occlusion, depth of field, motion blur, shadows set too high, shaders, antialiasing. Textures and aniso filtering have very small impact in most games.
3) Turbo Boost/C-States/EIST off, also is very noticeable on my board.
4) No idea, difference will probably be negligible.
5) If your keyboard came with ps/2 adapter, use it instead of usb.
6) Have minimum amount of drivers: intel inf., sound, network, driver for dedicated video card.
Disable integrated graphics card. Non native usb 3.0 ports increase latency.
7) Set frames to render ahead to 1. 0(zero) also works in most games, but was removed from nvidia cards.
8) On Nvidia cards set scaling to "display - no scale".
9) Some sound drivers like C media increased input lag and dcp latency for me.
10) Some mouse drivers increase input lag by interpolating data from mouse: synapse, logitech or steelseries ones.

To clear some bs about dcp latency checker: it doesnt and cant measure total input lag, its just useful to see if you have some settings enabled that also increase overall system latency. Some people just got really obsessed with it, for no good reason. My dcp latency is 6-12, goes to 48 when using chrome.
Last edited by Berserker on 23 Jun 2014, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

Kirayamato

Post by Kirayamato » 22 Jun 2014, 16:30

berserker what is a c media sound driver i have a creative x-fi sound card its pci express i have its driver so ya?

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 23 Jun 2014, 00:44

Berserker wrote:To clear some bs about dcp latency checker: it doesnt and cant measure total input lag, its just useful to see if you have some settings enabled that also increase overall system latency. Some people just got really obsessed with it, for no good reason.
+

Berserker

Post by Berserker » 23 Jun 2014, 03:09

Kirayamato wrote:berserker what is a c media sound driver i have a creative x-fi sound card its pci express i have its driver so ya?
I meant that some sound drivers can increase latency, I only had experience with c media, you should be fine with creative.