test to check graphical setings affect on input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Kirayamato

test to check graphical setings affect on input lag?

Post by Kirayamato » 23 Jun 2014, 13:31

can we get someone with the equipment to check what effect graphics settings have on input lag like shadows antialiasing etc with a fixed framerate so that fps diff is not the factor Thanks

Berserker

Re: test to check graphical setings affect on input lag?

Post by Berserker » 23 Jun 2014, 14:45

HL2 with vsync: 112 msec
HL2 without vsync: 76 msec
HL2 without vsync and drastically reduced image quality: 58 msec
HL2 without vsync, reduced quality and no multicore renderer: 50 msec
http://renderingpipeline.com/2013/09/me ... t-latency/

Its possible to tell difference between highest and lowest settings both at same capped fps by moving mouse back and forth 180 degrees, low settings feel and are more connected to hand movement.

Kirayamato

Post by Kirayamato » 23 Jun 2014, 20:11

yes but i really wanna know what is really needed to turn off and what isn't i really prefer to have texture quality at max and low shadows and high amount of aa as that adds clarity so i wanna know what will really make the difference like tests with each setting off and on you know what i mean

Berserker

Post by Berserker » 23 Jun 2014, 21:38

It differs from game to game and from GPU performance.
I doubt someone will have time for that.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 23 Jun 2014, 22:00

The majority of in-game settings lead to a lower or higher frame rate. Just look at the frame rate. If it is higher you have less input lag, if it is lower you have more.

The only real exceptions are multicore rendering and SLI.

Kirayamato

Post by Kirayamato » 23 Jun 2014, 22:33

sharknice wrote:The majority of in-game settings lead to a lower or higher frame rate. Just look at the frame rate. If it is higher you have less input lag, if it is lower you have more.

The only real exceptions are multicore rendering and SLI.
yes exactly i said at a fixed framerate whats the difference basic things like v sync i know add input lag and multcore rendering i believe u can only turn it off in source engines so i dont think thats a factor in most games unless u know a way to turn it off in others?

the point was how it affects input lag when the framerate is the same? thats my question

Kirayamato

Post by Kirayamato » 23 Jun 2014, 23:24

just got it confirmed from john carmack at same fps anti aliasing shouldn't affect input lag
http://gyazo.com/db2c79fcf882c2b1b496adec2a18fda3