I fixed my Desync/input Lag/Hitreg in CSGO

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
KingAzar

Re: I fixed my Desync/input Lag/Hitreg in CSGO

Post by KingAzar » 19 Sep 2023, 10:55

[email protected] wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 09:24
dougg0k wrote:
18 Sep 2023, 20:43
I left all comments about how I did in my interrupt affinity auto file. Though I think this will be for every game.

It's been consistent across different ranked matches.

https://github.com/dougg0k/gaming_os_tw ... o.ps1#L233
I don´t undestand the script. Can you make a little tutorial with screenshots please. :)
If I'm not mistaken, it seems like it's a Powershell script, you just need to download the file and then run it. Now I don't know if you just need to run it 1 time or at every restart.

dougg0k

Post by dougg0k » 19 Sep 2023, 11:56

KingAzar wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 10:55
[email protected] wrote:
dougg0k wrote:
I left all comments about how I did in my interrupt affinity auto file. Though I think this will be for every game.

I don´t undestand the script. Can you make a little tutorial with screenshots please. :)
If I'm not mistaken, it seems like it's a Powershell script, you just need to download the file and then run it. Now I don't know if you just need to run it 1 time or at every restart.
It should not need a screenshot nor tutorial. If you read my message and open the link, it will redirect you straight to the comment lines I left as I mentioned. In the comments, there is my experience from the results and what I did to get to that.

https://github.com/dougg0k/gaming_os_tw ... o.ps1#L236

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 19 Sep 2023, 13:05

dougg0k wrote:
I didnt tested in CS, but I can certainly say that today I have truly solved this sort of problem, so far at least in Overwatch 2, in my machine. With results I have never experienced before. I left all comments about how I did in my interrupt affinity auto file. Though I think this will be for every game.

Thanks for the work you've done.
Based on the algorithms for the msi interrupt mode and your description in the script, we need to set “msi limit” 34 and higher to forcefully enable the msi-x mode even if the device supports only 8 interrupts.

msi supports up to 32 interrupts simultaneously, which means that with a value of 32 the device will still operate in msi mode.

msi-x has lower latency compared to plain msi.

This needs to be checked.

dougg0k

Post by dougg0k » 19 Sep 2023, 13:29

F1zus wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 13:05
dougg0k wrote:
I didnt tested in CS, but I can certainly say that today I have truly solved this sort of problem, so far at least in Overwatch 2, in my machine. With results I have never experienced before. I left all comments about how I did in my interrupt affinity auto file. Though I think this will be for every game.

Thanks for the work you've done.
Based on the algorithms for the msi interrupt mode and your description in the script, we need to set “msi limit” 34 and higher to forcefully enable the msi-x mode even if the device supports only 8 interrupts.

msi supports up to 32 interrupts simultaneously, which means that with a value of 32 the device will still operate in msi mode.

msi-x has lower latency compared to plain msi.

This needs to be checked.
That is not the main thing mentioned. network.cmd script updates has the biggest part in it. I just decided to add into the interrupt affinity auto file, it didnt make much sense in adding into the tweak file.

About the MSI-X, I am probably wrong, but the hard limit needs verification for sure. Because I've seen hard limits with lower values, and drivers manufactors setting the non-hard limit value way higher, maybe it could be bypassing the hard limit in some way, not sure where the hard limit comes from anyhow.

As for activating the MSI-X, accordingly to this https://docs.kernel.org/PCI/msi-howto.html#using-msi if the device has both MSI and MSI-X, MSI-X will take precedence.

Edit:

Just read the docs a little more, it could be that it's based on the vectors size, so regardless of the limit you set, it will be capped on the size of it. Hence, hard limit. But again, a possibility would be that the limit set would bypass the hard limit by overwriting the vector size, but who knows, I have no way to confirm that.

I guess it was also not a good idea to post in that file, so I will remove from the file and add it here instead.
I noticed a very fast and responsive feeling when hitting shots after newly updated network.cmd script with better RSS tweaks, making better usage of the CPU and combined with MSI-X.
I never had this feeling before, snappier, before it was, as if there were a sort of very small delay before the hit got to the target. This is on Overwatch 2.
It seem to make sense, since more RSS queues, packets are processed faster.
I reconfirm this, certanly very noticeable results. It's also like, the receive of the packets are processed faster and the hitbox are more in sync (maybe?), what I experienced is that the shots and close hits like healing when with baptiste, just connect like never before.
I think all this was the missing piece in solving the hitreg problem, at least for me.
Edit2:

I read something else now, it seems that MSI does not deliver messages instantly. https://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/76878
If MSI-X has in fact lower latency than MSI, then it would be MSI-X vs Line based, if you have low interrupt latency. While keeping most of the other devices in MSI mode.

Edit3:

A possible way that could indicate that the limit is overwriting the hard limit is from those people that have problems when they set a high number, ask them to set the same value as the hard limit, if there is no problem and a higher value does, then that would indicate something. Just a thought.
Last edited by dougg0k on 20 Sep 2023, 11:02, edited 3 times in total.

kriegsnake

Post by kriegsnake » 19 Sep 2023, 18:24

dougg0k wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 11:56
KingAzar wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 10:55
[email protected] wrote:
dougg0k wrote:

It should not need a screenshot nor tutorial. If you read my message and open the link, it will redirect you straight to the comment lines I left as I mentioned. In the comments, there is my experience from the results and what I did to get to that.

https://github.com/dougg0k/gaming_os_tw ... o.ps1#L236
When I run it with powershell everything is ok, except the first line.
Attachments
123.png
123.png (45.5 KiB) Viewed 7157 times

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 19 Sep 2023, 20:38

I got the same:
2023-09-19 19_36_42-Administrator_ Windows PowerShell.png
2023-09-19 19_36_42-Administrator_ Windows PowerShell.png (69.78 KiB) Viewed 7110 times
Also, I have 13900K, why isn't put on separated cores for each component?

dougg0k

Post by dougg0k » 19 Sep 2023, 21:04

You should read my last post before this one instead of doing what you are doing.

KingAzar

Post by KingAzar » 19 Sep 2023, 23:43

dougg0k wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 21:04
You should read my last post before this one instead of doing what you are doing.
Sure, thanks for steering us in this direction, but I believe our attention is primarily centered on this specific post and the outcome it produced:
dougg0k wrote:

At this point, you're mentioning your PowerShell script line 233, and some of us are still closely following it with the assumption that we just need to run that PS script. If we seem to be making mistakes, please specify where we're going wrong and provide clear instructions instead of leaving us to guess which post you displayed. Keep in mind that some of the people here lack expertise and are simply gamers attempting to resolve that people on the forum are facing. That said we all here appreciate your results and solutions.

dougg0k

Post by dougg0k » 19 Sep 2023, 23:53

KingAzar wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 23:43
dougg0k wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 21:04
Sure, thanks for steering us in this direction, but I believe our attention is primarily centered on this specific post and the outcome it produced:
dougg0k wrote:

At this point, you're mentioning your PowerShell script line 233, and some of us are still closely following it with the assumption that we just need to run that PS script. If we seem to be making mistakes, please specify where we're going wrong and provide clear instructions instead of leaving us to guess which post you displayed. Keep in mind that some of the people here lack expertise and are simply gamers attempting to resolve that people on the forum are facing. That said we all here appreciate your results and solutions.
I understand, but you can now ignore that older post and use that one that I mentioned, because changes were made and better clarification were provided.

If you want to know what to execute, depending on what you have, only network.cmd script would be enough, but you can also execute the interrupt affinity auto script if you want, based on what you devices have support for.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 20 Sep 2023, 04:18

Can someone screenshot the "MSI mode utility" tool with the settings, which dougg0k is setting with his script?

PLEASE!