2023 Esports Optimization Guide

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Coldplayer

Re: 2023 Esports Optimization Guide

Post by Coldplayer » 10 Sep 2023, 21:24

trefe wrote:
07 Sep 2023, 05:07
axaro1 wrote:
31 Aug 2023, 03:50
I found a couple of settings that might improve mouse input with AM4 motherboards when using SCEWIN.
I highly recommend to use Amitxv fork since there are apparently people putting malicious scripts.

(https://github.com/amitxv/SCEWIN/tree/main).

These two are simple power saving stuff, there are multiple hidden layers of power saving once you expose all the values hidden by the UI.

^this one is very interesting, if you are forced to use C-States (like in the case of the 5800x3d, which is the only way to have 1-2 cores boost to 4550mhz, you can keep C-States ON while breaking of the c-states when the mouse detects an input.

Enabling this feature makes C0 residency double when using c-states with high polling rate mice.

Do you guys remember Buildzoid recommending to disable C-states with X570/B550 to fix the USB Dropout issue?

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7YvN8MKQg)

I 100% believe that enabling this setting is the long-awaited USB dropout fix for X570 owners who failed to fix this issue with the official "bios fix" from their manufacturers.
Thanks!

It was a particularly useful tip for me, my mouse feels better (Apex Legends).
Maybe the slight sluggishness that characterized the enemy's target (my target) has improved.
As if, but it's only as if, it also smoothed the game a little (I don't use g-sync or RTSS, I use caps inside the game).
Did you change all 3 or just the first 2 tweaks?

trefe

Post by trefe » 10 Sep 2023, 22:51

Coldplayer wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 21:24
trefe wrote:
axaro1 wrote:
I found a couple of settings that might improve mouse input with AM4 motherboards when using SCEWIN.
I highly recommend to use Amitxv fork since there are apparently people putting malicious scripts.

These two are simple power saving stuff, there are multiple hidden layers of power saving once you expose all the values hidden by the UI.

^this one is very interesting, if you are forced to use C-States (like in the case of the 5800x3d, which is the only way to have 1-2 cores boost to 4550mhz, you can keep C-States ON while breaking of the c-states when the mouse detects an input.

Enabling this feature makes C0 residency double when using c-states with high polling rate mice.

Do you guys remember Buildzoid recommending to disable C-states with X570/B550 to fix the USB Dropout issue?

I 100% believe that enabling this setting is the long-awaited USB dropout fix for X570 owners who failed to fix this issue with the official "bios fix" from their manufacturers.
Thanks!

Maybe the slight sluggishness that characterized the enemy's target (my target) has improved.
As if, but it's only as if, it also smoothed the game a little (I don't use g-sync or RTSS, I use caps inside the game).
All 3 of them

Coldplayer

Post by Coldplayer » 11 Sep 2023, 22:42

trefe wrote:
10 Sep 2023, 22:51
Coldplayer wrote:
trefe wrote:
axaro1 wrote:

Thanks!

All 3 of them
Thanks and to confirm you're using c-states and a 5800x3d?

trefe

Post by trefe » 12 Sep 2023, 00:41

Coldplayer wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 22:42
trefe wrote:
Coldplayer wrote:
trefe wrote:

Thanks!

All 3 of them
No, I use a 5600(non).

These are my bios settings
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10232&hilit=AMD
The SoC/Uncore OC Mode is an exception under this, I left it on the default setting (disabled), my experience was that it stutters a bit.

I have to say that I almost only play Apex, and this game itself is stuttering, and you quickly notice the wrong direction changes (even in Firing Rang).

What is interesting to me (after the changes) is that with SMT turned on, my mouse is more direct and I feel the input is better. However, this was reversed before the changes, I never used SMT, because the input of my mouse became noticeably worse with SMT...because I felt as if I was playing with G-sync

Sorry for the translation.

Coldplayer

Post by Coldplayer » 12 Sep 2023, 20:33

trefe wrote:
12 Sep 2023, 00:41
Coldplayer wrote:
11 Sep 2023, 22:42
trefe wrote:
Coldplayer wrote:

All 3 of them
No, I use a 5600(non).

These are my bios settings
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10232&hilit=AMD
The SoC/Uncore OC Mode is an exception under this, I left it on the default setting (disabled), my experience was that it stutters a bit.

I have to say that I almost only play Apex, and this game itself is stuttering, and you quickly notice the wrong direction changes (even in Firing Rang).

What is interesting to me (after the changes) is that with SMT turned on, my mouse is more direct and I feel the input is better. However, this was reversed before the changes, I never used SMT, because the input of my mouse became noticeably worse with SMT...because I felt as if I was playing with G-sync

Sorry for the translation.
I found that playing with SMT but using process lasso to disable SMT for the game you're playing works best.

thizito

Post by thizito » 16 Sep 2023, 20:27

axaro1 wrote:

nah, usb is related to soc issue and voltage issues
ur 3 y late for amd bios tweaks tho. you cant fix amd

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 19 Sep 2023, 01:39

thizito wrote:
16 Sep 2023, 20:27
nah, usb is related to soc issue and voltage issues
ur 3 y late for amd bios tweaks tho. you cant fix amd
It surely isn't related to USB voltage issue unless your usb device use a non-compliant cable or a cable too long that ends up suffering from voltage drops.
I tested with the USB DAC-UP port by boosting USB voltage from 0.1V up to 0.3V. It did fix the issue I had with running the Viper8khz with a 2m long aftermarket cable, but it was not an AM4 USB port connected directly to the CPU so I stopped using it.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 19 Sep 2023, 06:09

axaro1 wrote:

Enabling this feature makes C0 residency double when using c-states with high polling rate mice. .
Based on the name of the function and description, this applies to EHCI USB controllers, that is, to USB version 2.0. Modern motherboards only have an XHCI controller. Most likely your setting in the BIOS does not apply to it.
Moreover, if global c-state is disabled, then I don't know if this setting does anything.
On my asus b550 tuf motherboard there are two types of USB controllers, one processor and one chipset. Both call AMD XHCI controller.
I checked your setting and did not find that it had any effect on my 8kHz mouse.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 20 Sep 2023, 18:25

I saw the post about replacing realtek audio with a DAC, which reminded me to turn this off:

(Windows 10)
windowsaudio.png
windowsaudio.png (211.29 KiB) Viewed 5618 times

These settings will help with audio delays caused by Windows and will also make the game sound like it should without an added filter. In my testing, even with audio disabled, the desync issues were still prevalent, so I often forget about these settings.

imprecise

Post by imprecise » 20 Sep 2023, 18:39

Here are some additional Process Lasso changes I've recently started using:
plpriorities.png
plpriorities.png (29.29 KiB) Viewed 5608 times
Source engine doesn't seem to have the I/O drop-outs like UE4, and I think it helps more in UE4 games. The difference could be that Source does this by brute force with higher framerates.

Induce performance mode is helpful if you're trying to run the system in power saving when not gaming. When the game launches, Process Lasso should turn on performance mode. A power profile can be activated the same way:
plpower.png
plpower.png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 5605 times