Couldn't find out which USB ports are the CPUs & which are the Chipset's

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Traveler

Re: Couldn't find out which USB ports are the CPUs & which are the Chipset's

Post by Traveler » 16 Apr 2023, 04:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 18:14
...it is possible to do 1600dpi accurately in CS:GO if you edit the configuration file to sync up your settings, and stick to mathematically clean numbers...
Is there a thread here I missed that talks about it in more detail?
Is there any tutorial for this?

Traveler

Post by Traveler » 16 Apr 2023, 04:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 18:12
It's better to game at "higher-but-predictable" lag versus "low-but-erratic-hitreg" lag. More people quit esports from the latter problem.

It's best to have both, but if you had to pick your poison, now you know which poison to take...
Is it possible to have both?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Apr 2023, 19:05

Traveler wrote:
16 Apr 2023, 04:48
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
It's better to game at "higher-but-predictable" lag versus "low-but-erratic-hitreg" lag. More people quit esports from the latter problem.

It's best to have both, but if you had to pick your poison, now you know which poison to take...
Is it possible to have both?
Yes and no -- depends on the context.

The latency chain is complex.

This diagram is grossly oversimplified, but hints at the complexity:

The moral of the story is that

1. It's impossible in some contexts (e.g. Internet latency, since you can't control other's people latency or ping jitter, and you may always have unfixable erratic hitreg issues). You cannot wave a magic wand and lower the other person's internet lag, if they are on dialup and you are on FTTH...
2. It's possible in other contexts (e.g. in a different game other than CS:GO such as DOTA2, intentionally using a slightly lower Hz + QFT + inputdelay + RTSS Scanline Sync techniques to get DOTA2 panning as perfectly as www.testufo.com/map while having low-lag. Basically using the custom tearingless VSYNC OFF technique combined with ToastyX, to get a nearly lagless VSYNC ON technique via complex means)

In other words, depending on which part of the lag chain you are targetting, you may find you have to choose high-but-consistent versus low-but-erratic. Certain games with a large intentional tapedelay buffer (like a tiny Netflix buffer — of tens or hundred milliseconds — to dejitter everybody's game packets to keep them in sync with gametime) can successfully de-stutter erratic game latency better than CS:GO can, and have much better hitreg, at the cost of massively increased lagfeel. But we prefer lower lag, and some games use lag compensation algorithms that can be erratic with hitreg (successful shots that do not register AND missed shots that sometimes register as kills) etc, that can be problematic in very jittery Internet backbones combined with a zoo of competing player latencies.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

phaze

Post by phaze » 17 Apr 2023, 14:49

naporitan wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 23:36
motherboard?
B550 AORUS PRO AC

phaze

Post by phaze » 17 Apr 2023, 15:11

Slender wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 21:39
phaze wrote:
14 Apr 2023, 08:54
Hey there,

I'm a pro VALORANT player and been into these things since way back, figuring out different things from time to time, came across the USB Ports could be causing slight input lag as it takes more time to transmit and receive when it's connected to the chipset's controller rather than the CPU's, my motherboard says

CPU:
3 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports on the back panel
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A port (red) on the back panel
Chipset:
1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.2 Gen 2 support
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A port (red) on the back panel
2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports available through the internal USB header
2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports on the back panel
Chipset+2 USB 2.0 Hubs:
8 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

there are many of them which are the same, so I had to use USB Device Tree Viewer to figure out, Now I want to know which CPU controller is which, the top one or the lower one, I assume its the top cuz it has the prioritized PCI Busing which is Number 1, while the other one is PCI Bus 7

also, I used Device Cleanup tool to clean all unused device entries.

Also, Higher DPI causes less input lag than 400 DPI for example? or is it the same since the mouse displacements are the same?
for example

Which is better?
400 DPI and 0.8 ingame OR 1600 DPI and 0.2 ingame?

EDIT: Came across a Topic that says I should use triple digits+ in ingame sensitivity, for example @400dpi - 0.800 or 0.801 if it doesn't work, did I understand this correctly? or I misunderstood something!

<3
Seems like the Port1 is the BIOS Q-Flash Port, is it normal if I plug the mouse in it?
Port2 in the CPU USB, is the 3.1 beside the BIOS Q-Flash

phaze

Post by phaze » 17 Apr 2023, 15:16

Calypto wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 12:29
You can easily verify the port by going into hwinfo main window→bus→check which controller is which; with Zen it will show the CPU and chipset controllers separately.
Capture.PNG
Big fan of your guide here Calypto <3, Is it correct now? The one on the top says the Chipset, where I have the Keyboard plugged in, Taking High polling rate device should be seperated to avoid freq. interference in account. and the one in the lower, is the CPU USB Ports, Also Port1 seems to be the BIOS Q-FLASH port, is it fine if I use my mouse in it?
Attachments
Tree.png
Tree.png (85.01 KiB) Viewed 3192 times

phaze

Post by phaze » 17 Apr 2023, 15:29

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Calypto wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 15:14
Trial and error.
Yes, USB port roulette.

Here's the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7618

However, whether the ports go through CPU or chipset or PCIe lanes is more academic to the fact that you have USB contention (processing/bandwidth-sharing) between the high-poll keyboard and high-poll mouse. That's the more important optimization you need to make -- preventing USB competition between USB devices is more important than caring about CPU vs chipset vs PCIe lanes.

You may even have slightly higher lag but predictable latency can be more important than erratic latency jitter -- low lag can becomes useless if there's a lot of latency variances (spikes, lag overshoots, lag undershoots, weird hitreg where hits don't register, or missed hits register). It's better to game at "higher-but-predictable" lag versus "low-but-erratic-hitreg" lag. More people quit esports from the latter problem.

Exactly, I always love to test with my eyes rather than some bs Copy-Paste on Youtube. That's what I felt, Honestly, Idk if its placebo or not, but I live with this, "I feel a change, then there is a change" and when I plugged my mouse in the lower USB Root hub in USBTree, I felt the mouse is really responsive and very smooth (While taking seperating devices in account), not like dropping frequencies at some intervals, but I saw that people kept saying keep it in the top Root Hub & I was like idk, but the lower Hub feels smoother and responsive to me, and for sure I'd rather have the predictable latency than the variable latency jitters.

Walk

Post by Walk » 19 Apr 2023, 19:11

Hello, please take a look: I was also having these issues and this thread helped me.. I had 2 high polling mice and 2 high polling keyboards all in same spot :(

Moved them around a bit but want to make sure it's correct, I did notice an immediate improvement on my gaming mouse.

https://i.imgur.com/d0DbmNw.png

Red is mobo USB ports(so cpu or chipset), blue is a PCIE USB hub.

My mobo doesn't appear to have(or else it's not showing) separate CPU/Chipset for USB controllers. It's a MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS. I went through the other thread linked earlier but couldn't another example like this.

Should I move my gaming keyboard(see image) down to the fresco controller for minimum input latency/more consistency on my gaming mouse? Or should it stay as is in the image? Currently i only have the gaming mouse and gaming keyboard plugged into the mobo's USB slots, everything else is plugged into the PCIE card, including audio and my mic, but I do have one more slot that the gaming keyboard could fit in. I am also not sure why it shows that many USB ports.. I do not have that many.

The 2nd keyboard and 2nd mouse(currently plugged into the PCIE USB hub) are not in use during gaming.

pigzera

Post by pigzera » 20 Apr 2023, 08:08

phaze wrote:
17 Apr 2023, 15:16
Calypto wrote:
15 Apr 2023, 12:29
You can easily verify the port by going into hwinfo main window→bus→check which controller is which; with Zen it will show the CPU and chipset controllers separately.
Capture.PNG
Big fan of your guide here Calypto <3, Is it correct now? The one on the top says the Chipset, where I have the Keyboard plugged in, Taking High polling rate device should be seperated to avoid freq. interference in account. and the one in the lower, is the CPU USB Ports, Also Port1 seems to be the BIOS Q-FLASH port, is it fine if I use my mouse in it?
Please, tell me how i can access the HWInfo bus window? I tried looking everywhere but i didnt find this damn thing lol

naporitan

Post by naporitan » 20 Apr 2023, 10:42

Walk wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 19:11
Z490
z490diagram.jpg
z490diagram.jpg (343.21 KiB) Viewed 2723 times