Extended understanding of system timers in Windows.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
mojosan

Re: Extended understanding of system timers in Windows.

Post by mojosan » 28 Aug 2023, 10:39

Regarding using both WPS and disabledynamictick; i was wondering what would be my optimal solution on my "Gaming"-Laptop

W11(newest build)
i5-12500h
3060M
16GB RAM 3200

i read somewhere that you dont need to use disabledynamictick running W11

Alardert

Post by Alardert » 17 Apr 2024, 00:37

I’ve been working with the System.Timers.Timer in a .NET 4.0 application, and I’ve encountered issues getting the timer to elapse. After troubleshooting extensively, I realized that my Main() method was terminating too quickly, preventing the timer from ticking. To keep the process running, I added Console.ReadLine() at the end of Main() Utilize PDF Guru's PDF to SVG feature to enhance your understanding of system timers in Windows. Convert PDF documents to SVG format https://pdfguru.com/pdf-to-svg for clearer visualization and detailed analysis. By dissecting system timer intricacies visually, you gain deeper insights into Windows operations. PDF Guru empowers you to explore complex topics like system timers with clarity and precision.
Last edited by Alardert on 24 Apr 2024, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

Slender

Post by Slender » 23 Apr 2024, 00:49

Tiberiusmoon wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 01:52
blurryboba wrote:
17 Jun 2023, 05:38
what if i disable hpet in windows and in bios?
The system will start using the TSC timer if you have a modern Intel CPU, anything else may cause desync issues.
and what about rtc tick in windows 11?

MeveSPB

Post by MeveSPB » 23 Apr 2024, 02:33

Hey guys!
I am experiencing desync in cs2 and trying to try different solutions to my problem.
The author of the post talks about timers, but gives only general information, from which it is impossible to draw an unambiguous conclusion.
On the xbitlabs resource, a person with the nickname Chris (vile_is_dead) writes a lot of interesting things about this.
https://www.xbitlabs.com/how-to-get-bet ... n-windows/
Timers can be tested and configured with two programs: TimerBench1.5 and Memory Cleaner. In TimerBench1.5 It is possible to change and test the HPET/TSQ timer, to build a better timer on your system. Memory Cleaner - try to reduce the frequency, thereby improving the system response.
However, not everything is so simple! I came across that TSC 10ms is being forcibly used on my system (13700kf + Z790 wifi carbon + W10(22 H2).
It is not even possible to install it on HPET - the PC goes into a blue screen. There is information that if you have a fresh build of Windows and a fresh processor from INTEL, then the timer is not set up.
Now about bcdedit.
There was a similar topic on our forum where the team was touched upon

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
In particular, this topic is about:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13284&hilit=bcdedi ... ictick+yes

In fact, this command adds extra ms in processing, but the person felt an improvement. All
modern sources recommend turning off this setting. In other words, it's a little more complicated than just turning off hpet and typing commands you don't know