Input Lag Hierarchy

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
BTRY B 529th FA BN

Input Lag Hierarchy

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 13 Aug 2014, 11:47

What is the hierarchy of input lag? And will Blur Busters expand into these other regions?

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Input Lag Hierarchy

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 13 Aug 2014, 16:25

Which input lag? Of computer components or wanna see each 120+ Hz monitor input lag?

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 13 Aug 2014, 19:16

I guess from the user input POV. Or any way that would seem proper for different scenarious.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Aug 2014, 23:18

We'll be exploring input lag more over the coming months.

There's an old but good article, AnandTech: Exploring Input Lag, Inside and Out, which shows that input lag can be affected by many parts of the chain.

versus

We do plan to write a new, more modernized article (but in the Blur Busters style, and accounting for strobing technologies) similiar to this, within several months from now.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 16 Aug 2014, 10:37

Any articles over HPET via bios, and in the OS ? the OS timers play a big factor with syncing up audio, networking, and image with some games

flood

Post by flood » 16 Aug 2014, 16:53

i dont think anyone has objective evidence that messing with hpet affects anything like what some people claim.

but generally these things are highly game/game engine dependent

all i know is that timers on windows suck :D

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 17 Aug 2014, 11:34

I agree that there is more than what's mentioned in the Anandtech article. The timers for one, via bios e.g HPET, in OS timers, CPU behavior, etc.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Aug 2014, 21:04

BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:I agree that there is more than what's mentioned in the Anandtech article. The timers for one, via bios e.g HPET, in OS timers, CPU behavior, etc.
I agree that a modern test is needed to uncover unexpected causes of input lag. The problem is it would take weeks and months to test thousands of combinations, so a few select tests (e.g. HPET, large vertical totals, HDMI vs DVI vs DisplayPort, etc) needs to be done, and determine how many milliseconds can be shaved off. 0.5ms there, 0.5ms there, it all adds up, 5ms total can actually make a big difference. Some input latency reducing tasks only shaves microseconds and are practically wortheless to do, but certain optimizations will impact things in an "it adds up" way.

Blur Busters is only a part time job for me (not my primary) -- it would be cool if it becomes a full time job so that i can do such kinds of tests on a more continuous and intensive basis. That said, I do plan more work on input lag related stuff -- keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BTRY B 529th FA BN

Post by BTRY B 529th FA BN » 17 Aug 2014, 21:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
BTRY B 529th FA BN wrote:I agree that there is more than what's mentioned in the Anandtech article. The timers for one, via bios e.g HPET, in OS timers, CPU behavior, etc.
I agree that a modern test is needed to uncover unexpected causes of input lag. The problem is it would take weeks and months to test thousands of combinations, so a few select tests (e.g. HPET, large vertical totals, HDMI vs DVI vs DisplayPort, etc) needs to be done, and determine how many milliseconds can be shaved off. 0.5ms there, 0.5ms there, it all adds up, 5ms total can actually make a big difference. Some input latency reducing tasks only shaves microseconds and are practically wortheless to do, but certain optimizations will impact things in an "it adds up" way.

Blur Busters is only a part time job for me (not my primary) -- it would be cool if it becomes a full time job so that i can do such kinds of tests on a more continuous and intensive basis. That said, I do plan more work on input lag related stuff -- keep tuned.
Awesome