8000Hz keyboards, are they needed?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
F1zus

8000Hz keyboards, are they needed?

Post by F1zus » 06 Aug 2023, 06:30

Hi guys. I am about to purchase a razer huntsman v2 tkl 8000hz keyboard.
I'm currently using a 1000Hz keyboard. I noticed that the movement of the model in the csgo game is smoother at 1000hz compared to 125hz.
Tell me, who had experience with high-hertz keyboards. Does 8000hz give any advantage in the game of csgo (smoothness of the character, sharper strafes)?
Second question - currently on my keyboard click delay is about 20ms. On a new keyboard, about 1ms. Tell me, is it strongly felt during strafes or character movements in the game?

dervu

Re: 8000Hz keyboards, are they needed?

Post by dervu » 06 Aug 2023, 07:24

I think you would have better experience with Wooting 60HE keyboard.
Ryzen 7950X3D / MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio / ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS / 2x16GB DDR5@6000 G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279QM / Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT / SkyPAD Glass 3.0 / Wooting 60HE / DT 700 PRO X || EMI Input lag issue survivor

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 06 Aug 2023, 08:40

dervu wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 07:24
No, I don't want to buy things that haven't been tested. It's like a cat in a bag.
Yes, I know the razer isn't the best keyboard in terms of feel and sound, but it certainly is the best in terms of latency. 0.5ms and this is official information from the rtings portal. This keyboard has almost the lowest latency among all keyboards. I'm interested to know if this gives an advantage, as well as 8000Hz.
I haven't found any reviews for high-hertz keyboards, although many people buy them.

I don't like stupid people who buy a new mouse/keyboard and just say they're good. These people can't say more than two words.
I love detailed reviews that clearly describe the pros and cons of the device and whether it gives an advantage or not.

TYT

Post by TYT » 06 Aug 2023, 09:27

if its about value and smoothness the wooting 60he is the best at the market higher hertz is better in terms of latency but its a factor of many than can make it a worse keyboard than the wooting 60he i have the old huntsman TE and i say having controller movement default without any 3party software will make the latency lower and the 0.1 Actuation range is making the keyboard almost instant and a built in low latency mode even the click feel is super good and sound as well its right now the best keyboard watch some reviews about it
240Hz Omen X 25f nvidia 1660 super razer huntsman TE Logitech G PRO X SUPERLIGHT razer viper 8k

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 06 Aug 2023, 10:10

TYT wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 09:27
if its about value and smoothness the wooting 60he is the best at the market higher hertz is better in terms of latency but its a factor of many than can make it a worse keyboard than the wooting 60he i have the old huntsman TE and i say having controller movement default without any 3party software will make the latency lower and the 0.1 Actuation range is making the keyboard almost instant and a built in low latency mode even the click feel is super good and sound as well its right now the best keyboard watch some reviews about it
Look, this wooting 60he keyboard costs almost 2 times as much in my country. According to the rtings tests, it has a 1.1ms click delay, the razer has 0.5ms and another 8000Hz.
Why should I buy a keyboard from another country 2 times more expensive without a guarantee if it is worse in latency?
The wooting 60he keyboard does not even have arrows for controlling the BIOS and additional home keys, which I use.
I see no point in this purchase.
Bro, I want to try new technologies in the form of an increased polling rate.

Ragerlis

Post by Ragerlis » 06 Aug 2023, 12:34

Wooting is the best keyboard in the market for responsiveness, razer optical switches are faster for the FIRST click, after that actuation enters in the game and can make the next clicks way slower because you have to release the key so the next click can be accepted.

8000hz keyboards can cause problems especially when paired with a 8000hz mice and/or an old rig.

And no, they are not needed, because the most important thing in keyboards as said by everyone is actuation, not input lag, counting ofc the input lag is low enough to not get in the way. Actuation is more important for better control, sharper strafes or whatever you want to call because keyboards do not work in the same way of mice and going in 8k territory is a huge diminishing returns for keyboard because there is not smoother movement and synchronization as exists for mice.

And yes, 60% keyboards uses a overlay system, so the arrows and home and whatever key you want is there.

TLDR: Actuation point is more important than input lag for keyboards, beware with your expectations and the tip everyone gave to you in this topic is golden.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 06 Aug 2023, 13:03

dervu wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 07:24
I second the Wooting 60he.

With keyboards these days we already got to the point where we can reach more than acceptable click latency, now the real input lag difference comes from the human part of actuation.

This is often solved by using low actuation force switches but it's a double-edged sword since they also provide low rebound force so the actuation threshold for release is harder to hit. It can easily take double or even triple digit milliseconds values to release a switch after bottoming out which at the same time is the threshold to perform another actuation.

Hall effect keyboards with rapid trigger are simply the best approach to solve actuation issues.

Interestingly, there's currently a korean developer working on a set of 8khz keyboards (GENESIS8K) with a Hall Effect 8k option (more informations here: https://discord.com/invite/zHw6d2DfE3).
It's still far from being a final product and if I had to guess it will only get KCC certification before being available to other countries but it would be nice to see a product pushing keyboards to the extreme of both USB specs and hardware. The developer uses high performance MCUs and aims for overkill scanrate levels. He also tested scanrate on the 60HE and he claims that it's compliant with the polling rate (which unfortunately is not the case for many 1000hz keyboard that can barely reach 600/700hz scanrate).
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Arbybear

Post by Arbybear » 06 Aug 2023, 14:21

I third the Wooting, if you use Rapid Trigger https://wooting.io/rapid-trigger.

Look at this video of someone pressing down a key of a Corsair K70 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjT5AAjsCiU. It's recorded at 240 fps. Each press down takes anywhere from 4 to 10 frames, and the release is ~4-6 frames. That means a press is ~16.667-41.667 ms, and release (by finger, not by spring) is ~16.667-25 ms.

I also recorded my own video, but I only have access to 60 FPS recording https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUjn9uRMcHk. It always took about 2 frames, so if we assume an actuation point halfway between the top and bottoming out, the average key press or release takes:

Code: Select all

2 frames * (1/60 seconds per frame) * (1/2 keyboard actuation distance) = 0.016666 seconds = 16.666 milliseconds
If you use a Wooting keyboard with Rapid Trigger enabled, your actuation time on both the keypress and release is a small fraction of that time.

Saving less than a millisecond with 8000 Hz is nothing compared to saving tens of milliseconds with instant actuation.

Traveler

Post by Traveler » 06 Aug 2023, 15:25

F1zus wrote:
06 Aug 2023, 10:10
The wooting 60he keyboard does not even have arrows for controlling the BIOS and additional home keys, which I use.
There's a thing called "key overlay".
Also, there's Wooting Two HE (full-size version).

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 06 Aug 2023, 20:25

I had followed the Wooting 60HE early on, but forgot about it until this topic. Ordered.

I already have the G915 TKL, but the caps aren't really replaceable, and the cheap finish easily wears off, leaving an ugly sheen and light leak even with regular cleaning (I had a free replacement a year ago, and the new one is also beginning to exhibiting it, even with a daily purified water + microfiber wipe down).

The improvement in typing and features like the Rapid Trigger for gaming are welcome as well, even though the G915 is obviously no slouch. Being a minimalist, I also dig the further reduction of keys over tenkeyless, and I don't need wireless on my main desk setup anyway (with the receiver only sitting a couple inches away).

As for 8000Hz, agreed with the others here about how it's less impactful for keyboards than it is for mice due to the difference in how input is made; I'd far prefer quicker physical key actuation over extra polling Hz if I have to pick one. That, and from first hand experience, even with a beefy rig (see specs in sig), 8000Hz stability can be a crapshoot; I've played a few newer games lately, and my Viper Mini SE was hard crashing Remnant II (and my PC) at 8000Hz, and I ultimately had to lower it (even though the game is crashing for other reasons as well, currently).

I don't really find it worth the trouble of attempting to run two 8000Hz input devices simultaneously, at least until software becomes more consistently high Hz-friendly.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)