Valorant issues always come back

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
BlurWickd

Re: Valorant issues always come back

Post by BlurWickd » 03 Jan 2024, 01:34

Some things from my personal testing regarding your post (I don't have any actual statistics so take it with a grain of salt, just my personal opinion as a high elo player as well as my research):

Disabled CUDA - Force P2 State - I read about why this wasn't ideal somewhere, I didn't notice any difference either way so I just left it default.

MSI mode enabled on i219-v ethernet - disable this if you can, many report improvements, this nic doesn't actually support MSI its on by default by mistake. Personally when I disable it my internet disconnects and wont come back on till restart but I haven't seen anyone else with that issue and I can't seem to figure out why that is.

Rss enabled - Disable it, pointless because the nic doesn't support rss.

TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
Enabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6)
Enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
Enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6)
Enabled
IPv6 disabled and the others in 'Rx enabled' seem to work best for me. Receiving info is offloaded to the nic, transmitting is done by the cpu. I read a post about this and he seemed to be right imo.

Setting high priority on the i219-v definitely feels like I win more fights, sometimes causes the odd rubber banding though so its up to you.

Interrupt moderation - I tried with off for a while since its recommended for lowest latency but honestly I just leave it default adaptive at this point. The game doesn't provide enough interrupts for it to be even be used but still it affects mouse and I highly doubt any high elo player modifies this.

Receive/transmit buffers - I set both to 1024. 256-512 seems to give desync for me.

Win32priorityseparation - It might seem better to have 2A or whatever so the foreground application is the most prioritised but I've been testing with 18 HEX recently which basically gives the same priority to everything, including the processes that handle the mouse and it works better for me. Slightly less fps but more consistent, give it a try.

Game resolution: If you're using native, try out 1600x900 which is another 16:9 res. I don't have any idea why but there is actually plenty of youtube vids/reddit posts about this, the game just feels much more responsive.

Idle disabled - Don't do this, I did this for a while and while yes it does improve latency to a certain extent I find it makes the game feel laggy. I hope you don't have HT enabled while you do this either.

You are completely right about ram timings on valorant as well for the longest time I was using 4x16gb 3200mhz 16-18-18-36 2T but had to run it at 3000mhz for it to be stable. Popped 2 of those out so running 2x16gb and running it at XMP 3200mhz same timings and wow, unreal difference. Probably some faulty ram. I think you should test out 3200mhz but use '1T' command rate as I assume you have tested your ram on stuff like TM5 using anta777s extreme/absolut config? so 1T should definitely be stable at 600mhz less.

For me personally I have an i9 10980xe and the latency kinda sucks on it so I tried my best to OC it to 4.7-8ghz, turns out I got the best results at 4.5 but overclocking my core cache to 3.0 rather than default 2.4. Something for you to try.

I find discord completely slows down my game, I don't know why but discord has a process thats listed as 'above normal' I use processlasso to set all discord processes to below normal and set it to cores that my game doesn't use. You only really need about 3-4 for discord. I do the same for chrome.

I don't personally use high priority for valorant, it feels like it causes stutters for me. I don't know if setting the I/O priority is key for valorant, it definitely increases your mouse speed thats for sure but I've read some stuff about IO dropouts on UE4 engines which valorant is on so maybe it could be a fix? I still need to try this out.

Nvidia settings to try out:
Texture filtering quality - set this to quality/high quality, if you research this the difference in fps from high performance is barely anything and for some odd reason high performance decreases responsiveness. I find this annoying because I actually prefer how the character models look with high performance. Most pros use this because their pcs are godlike and probably don't know the difference.

OpenGL rendering gpu - I don't know why but setting this to my actual GPU made a big difference for me, I saw a post somewhere saying auto-select is better even if you don't have an iGPU or 2 cards but my fps increased alot from setting it.

Texture filtering negative lod bias clamp - set this to the default, clamp doesn't work in valorant either pretty sure. I think this setting only works in opengl games and I don't think val is? Clamp made me have weird issues ingame.

Using nvidias colour settings if you have them on made my game feel like shit, no idea why.

Dyac is so hit and miss for me, I just leave it off at this point but not sure what 360hz you're using, I'm personally using the xl2566k and I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes the game is perfect, smooth like butter then all of a sudden it feels like complete shit. I had this same issue before with my xl2540, the last time I remember an actual smooth experience was when I had my 144hz asus monitor like 10 years ago lol. I'm so close to just saying fuck this pc and buying a new one.

4000hz doesn't seem to play well for me, it seems inconsistent like one minute its smooth like butter next its shit. I've tried everything but 2000hz seems fine. I'm currently just sticking to 1000hz so I can try to find the specific issue.

fa1kk

Post by fa1kk » 03 Jan 2024, 09:17

BlurWickd wrote:
03 Jan 2024, 01:34
Some things from my personal testing regarding your post (I don't have any actual statistics so take it with a grain of salt, just my personal opinion as a high elo player as well as my research):

Disabled CUDA - Force P2 State - I read about why this wasn't ideal somewhere, I didn't notice any difference either way so I just left it default.

MSI mode enabled on i219-v ethernet - disable this if you can, many report improvements, this nic doesn't actually support MSI its on by default by mistake. Personally when I disable it my internet disconnects and wont come back on till restart but I haven't seen anyone else with that issue and I can't seem to figure out why that is.

Rss enabled - Disable it, pointless because the nic doesn't support rss.

TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
Enabled
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6)
Enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
Enabled
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6)
Enabled
IPv6 disabled and the others in 'Rx enabled' seem to work best for me. Receiving info is offloaded to the nic, transmitting is done by the cpu. I read a post about this and he seemed to be right imo.

Setting high priority on the i219-v definitely feels like I win more fights, sometimes causes the odd rubber banding though so its up to you.

Interrupt moderation - I tried with off for a while since its recommended for lowest latency but honestly I just leave it default adaptive at this point. The game doesn't provide enough interrupts for it to be even be used but still it affects mouse and I highly doubt any high elo player modifies this.

Receive/transmit buffers - I set both to 1024. 256-512 seems to give desync for me.

Win32priorityseparation - It might seem better to have 2A or whatever so the foreground application is the most prioritised but I've been testing with 18 HEX recently which basically gives the same priority to everything, including the processes that handle the mouse and it works better for me. Slightly less fps but more consistent, give it a try.

Game resolution: If you're using native, try out 1600x900 which is another 16:9 res. I don't have any idea why but there is actually plenty of youtube vids/reddit posts about this, the game just feels much more responsive.

Idle disabled - Don't do this, I did this for a while and while yes it does improve latency to a certain extent I find it makes the game feel laggy. I hope you don't have HT enabled while you do this either.

You are completely right about ram timings on valorant as well for the longest time I was using 4x16gb 3200mhz 16-18-18-36 2T but had to run it at 3000mhz for it to be stable. Popped 2 of those out so running 2x16gb and running it at XMP 3200mhz same timings and wow, unreal difference. Probably some faulty ram. I think you should test out 3200mhz but use '1T' command rate as I assume you have tested your ram on stuff like TM5 using anta777s extreme/absolut config? so 1T should definitely be stable at 600mhz less.

For me personally I have an i9 10980xe and the latency kinda sucks on it so I tried my best to OC it to 4.7-8ghz, turns out I got the best results at 4.5 but overclocking my core cache to 3.0 rather than default 2.4. Something for you to try.

I find discord completely slows down my game, I don't know why but discord has a process thats listed as 'above normal' I use processlasso to set all discord processes to below normal and set it to cores that my game doesn't use. You only really need about 3-4 for discord. I do the same for chrome.

I don't personally use high priority for valorant, it feels like it causes stutters for me. I don't know if setting the I/O priority is key for valorant, it definitely increases your mouse speed thats for sure but I've read some stuff about IO dropouts on UE4 engines which valorant is on so maybe it could be a fix? I still need to try this out.

Nvidia settings to try out:
Texture filtering quality - set this to quality/high quality, if you research this the difference in fps from high performance is barely anything and for some odd reason high performance decreases responsiveness. I find this annoying because I actually prefer how the character models look with high performance. Most pros use this because their pcs are godlike and probably don't know the difference.

OpenGL rendering gpu - I don't know why but setting this to my actual GPU made a big difference for me, I saw a post somewhere saying auto-select is better even if you don't have an iGPU or 2 cards but my fps increased alot from setting it.

Texture filtering negative lod bias clamp - set this to the default, clamp doesn't work in valorant either pretty sure. I think this setting only works in opengl games and I don't think val is? Clamp made me have weird issues ingame.

Using nvidias colour settings if you have them on made my game feel like shit, no idea why.

Dyac is so hit and miss for me, I just leave it off at this point but not sure what 360hz you're using, I'm personally using the xl2566k and I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes the game is perfect, smooth like butter then all of a sudden it feels like complete shit. I had this same issue before with my xl2540, the last time I remember an actual smooth experience was when I had my 144hz asus monitor like 10 years ago lol. I'm so close to just saying fuck this pc and buying a new one.

4000hz doesn't seem to play well for me, it seems inconsistent like one minute its smooth like butter next its shit. I've tried everything but 2000hz seems fine. I'm currently just sticking to 1000hz so I can try to find the specific issue.

Thanks for your time and reply! I do appreciate that!
1) I have tried off and on for the CUDA - Force P2 State and I prefer to leave it on. The recommendation is to keep the feature default, eventually, disable it on a per-game profile basis, if you find any significant benefit in stability after doing your own tests. But you should also pay special attention to the adaptive STDEV values and not only to the usual lows.

2) MSI mode on i219-v ethernet should be checked if supported using System Information https://imgur.com/gallery/DiYhyG2. My i219-v does support MSI mode and it's enabled by default. I have tried to disable it and I faced huge problems with the Internet.
If MSI mode is disabled, RSS also stops working, partially because you can't assign more than 1 IRQ to the card. RSS might be bad for competitive gaming, so I did my own tests and I feel better with it enabled.

3) Interrupt moderation. I have checked the research about this setting and I'm pretty sure, it should be disabled for good reason.

4) Receive/transmit buffers is an interesting feature due to the fact, when I set them to 1024\1024 my game feels faster, like I'm playing at 1.25 speed, but the hit registration feels super unstable. I assume it depends on the Internet provider, but it's worth giving it a try to leave them as default and set them to 1024\1024.

5) Win32priorityseparation definitely the big one. For myself I did a huge amount of research and lots of tests, and for my system 14,16,26,2a feels much better than the rest. But when it comes to the experience from the game itself, 2a feels better for input and 14 for smoothness, but with time the smoothness from 14 hex goes away, so I set my WPS to 2a and forgot about it.

6) Game resolution: I just prefer native for many factors, but yes, setting lower resolutions give better feeling, but again, the 'woah' feeling goes aways within a couple of hours or days, so I don't change the resolution.

7) Idle disabled , I'll try to disable it, I'll report about the changes.

8) I don't use discord or chrome while playing, and if I do, I don't play ranked, and when it comes to team activities, TeamSpeak is much better for communication.

9) High priority for valorant gives me massive improvements, and without it, every player starts to ferrari peek, so it feels literally unplayable.

10)Nvidia settings I have tried all of them. And when I set to my actual GPU - OpenGL rendering gpu my game become unplayable, so I leave it on auto.
Texture filtering negative lod bias I use Allow for now.
Texture filtering quality is an interesting one, Since I have tried just performance, and the other settings and to be fair there is a difference, but I can't tell if it's huge or not.

11) I have Dell Alienware aw2521h, Benq is an overrated company, just go to the rting website and check the settings that Benq monitors provide. I used to have a Benq monitor for a long time, and I would say if you have an option, I would recommend you try an OLED monitor. ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM seems to be the best one on the market. Just check the Response Time @ Max Refresh Rate
https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/g8 ... -large.jpg

12) When it comes to the mouse and the polling rate, It's just a preferance, since most of the people don't notice the difference between 4k and 2k. And in my opinion, using 4k causes more CPU usage, but better feelining.

13) Check this guide about the Ram https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHe ... g-software, and don't go lower frequencies.

widow13

Post by widow13 » 05 Jan 2024, 11:48

You can try this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... _in_games/
Personally it helped me a lot.