Anti-Alialising and lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
flood

Re: Anti-Alialising and lag

Post by flood » 20 Sep 2014, 21:39

paulemannsen wrote:there must be more to it. the mouse for instance becomes considerably more sluggish with aa on. nearly in every game. the framedrop alone cant explain that.
if you could give any specific examples, i could try to measure this.

but other than by increasing frame rendering time, antialiasing in itself does not affect input lag. if it does, that's a bug in the game or graphics driver.

mello

Post by mello » 21 Sep 2014, 05:00

And what about DSR ? http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvid ... 0-review/6
Will it add any input lag when used ?

flood

Post by flood » 21 Sep 2014, 15:41

well if it's just scaling down every frame, that should only add as much input lag as it takes to scale down a frame. which isn't that long (~1ms maybe)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2014, 18:15

flood wrote:well if it's just scaling down every frame, that should only add as much input lag as it takes to scale down a frame. which isn't that long (~1ms maybe)
Yes, normally this is true, but if your GPU is extremely busy doing 3D rendering, then scaling could theoretically slow things down. Adding 1ms to rendertimes can turn 10ms frame cycles (100fps) into 11ms frame cycles (91fps). So you see, 1ms can slow your framerate by a double-digit percentage (10%+). Unless the GPU has a scaling pipeline independently of the rendering pipeline (which may not be true for all GPUs).

Not all forms of AA uses scaling methods (supersampling), there are many kinds of AA, such as FSAA, FXAA, MSAA, all of which potentially produce different behaviors to input lag. The internal implementation of AA is often a company trade secret, so is often an input lag black box, that needs to be measured end-to-end such as the high-speed-video LED mouse button test that Blur Busters pioneered (for GSYNC Preview #2).

Try cycling AA to a different AA and see how your input lag behaves.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

paulemannsen

Post by paulemannsen » 27 Sep 2014, 20:13

i cant think of a specific game right now that showcases my statement, since i long stopped using aa, due to the "sluggish" mouse. only when i have 200 frames + i sometimes use it and can barely notice the sluggishness then.
i have a single gpu and v-sync off and up until one month ago i used a crt. only tried msaa 2x or 4x.

btw, the same goes for v-sync. it heavily seems to effect the "snappiness" of the mouse. i need like 120 hz and double the theoretical average frame output so that playing with v-sync becomes bearable.
well, maybe im just overly sensitive to those things. played alot of cs and quake...

flood

Post by flood » 27 Sep 2014, 21:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The internal implementation of AA is often a company trade secret, so is often an input lag black box
imo the important thing is that there is no intrinsic reason for AA to add significant input lag, and so when trying a new game, one should not worry about turning up AA any more than worrying about turning up other graphics settings.

and i'm pretty sure the algorithms are pretty well documented...

paulemannsen

Post by paulemannsen » 28 Sep 2014, 18:42

you are probably right. i shouldnt write aa off. gonna try it in the future.