Finding for heavy/floaty mouse movement [input lag]

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Future

Re: Finding for heavy/floaty mouse movement [input lag]

Post by Future » 15 Nov 2023, 08:51

Zodasaur wrote:
15 Nov 2023, 06:27
TheKelz wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 02:00
Zodasaur wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 01:12
What is "heavy mouse movement"? Heavy describes a degree of weight, not the way something moves. Unless the object/mouse cursor is somehow falling.
I've tried to think through this for awhile and can't comprehend what it could mean.
Heavy means that when you move your mouse and expect it to move to a specific position, it's like it moves but stops sooner than expected, as it feels like you are dragging it because it feels heavy and not free or not 1 to 1 like it should. Changing DPI, mouse or anything doesn't help, any mice and/or their settings exhibit the same behavior.
How is it possible for the cursor to feel heavy when it's a graphic on your screen? It's just something you are observing. If you look at a cup full of ice, does that make you feel cold? For me, observing a cup of ice doesn't make me feel cold. Turning my mouse sensitivity up doesn't cause me to feel my mouse cursor weighing less.
Maybe there is a scientifical term, but saying "heavy or floaty feeling" is the closest you can call it. If you have never felt it, I doubt there's any way to understand what the issue is.

Another thing I just found recently is when I launch Counter-Strike 1.6, every single time I start the game, my mouse feels differently.

I launch the game, I go to random server, I move my mouse - good. I quit the game.
I launch the game again within 10 seconds, I go to random server, I move my mouse - terrible. I quit the game again.
I launch the game once again within 10 seconds, I join random server, I move my mouse - perfect.
Without quitting the game, I'm going to the video settings, click on Run in Window. The game runs in windowed mode, then I uncheck the "Run in window" option and the game forces itself in fullscreen - flawless mouse feeling, like the good old days.

What is it that breaks the mouse input and why does every launch of the game feel different? Also when I minimize the game and I hover over the icon on the task bark, sometimes it displays a picture of ingame session, sometimes it displays black screen, sometimes it displays a white screen. I know for a fact it is related to the mouse input, but I can't diagnose what exactly is the connection between these things, as I am not such an expert. Could someone elaborate on that?

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 15 Nov 2023, 16:09

Future wrote:
15 Nov 2023, 08:51
Zodasaur wrote:
TheKelz wrote:
Zodasaur wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 01:12
What is "heavy mouse movement"? Heavy describes a degree of weight, not the way something moves. Unless the object/mouse cursor is somehow falling.
I've tried to think through this for awhile and can't comprehend what it could mean.
Heavy means that when you move your mouse and expect it to move to a specific position, it's like it moves but stops sooner than expected, as it feels like you are dragging it because it feels heavy and not free or not 1 to 1 like it should. Changing DPI, mouse or anything doesn't help, any mice and/or their settings exhibit the same behavior.
How is it possible for the cursor to feel heavy when it's a graphic on your screen? It's just something you are observing. If you look at a cup full of ice, does that make you feel cold? For me, observing a cup of ice doesn't make me feel cold. Turning my mouse sensitivity up doesn't cause me to feel my mouse cursor weighing less.
Maybe there is a scientifical term, but saying "heavy or floaty feeling" is the closest you can call it. If you have never felt it, I doubt there's any way to understand what the issue is.

Another thing I just found recently is when I launch Counter-Strike 1.6, every single time I start the game, my mouse feels differently.

I launch the game, I go to random server, I move my mouse - good. I quit the game.
I launch the game again within 10 seconds, I go to random server, I move my mouse - terrible. I quit the game again.
I launch the game once again within 10 seconds, I join random server, I move my mouse - perfect.
Without quitting the game, I'm going to the video settings, click on Run in Window. The game runs in windowed mode, then I uncheck the "Run in window" option and the game forces itself in fullscreen - flawless mouse feeling, like the good old days.

What is it that breaks the mouse input and why does every launch of the game feel different? Also when I minimize the game and I hover over the icon on the task bark, sometimes it displays a picture of ingame session, sometimes it displays black screen, sometimes it displays a white screen. I know for a fact it is related to the mouse input, but I can't diagnose what exactly is the connection between these things, as I am not such an expert. Could someone elaborate on that?
This is something I can't wrap my head around as well. Every launch of the game gives a different mouse feeling. Or just alt-tabbing out of and back in the game also can drastically change the feel of the mouse and the smoothness of the game. Sometimes I alt-tab several times in a row and it gives this perfect input and frametime consistency for at least 3 minutes before going bad again. I don't think there's anyone in the world who can actually explain this.

Bobo

Post by Bobo » 15 Nov 2023, 16:52

alt-tab messes it up badly, if you do it a lot of times it gets even worse, but somehow it doesn`t affect everyone.

Everythingblows

Post by Everythingblows » 15 Nov 2023, 17:28

TheKelz wrote:
15 Nov 2023, 16:09
Future wrote:
15 Nov 2023, 08:51
Zodasaur wrote:
TheKelz wrote:

This is something I can't wrap my head around as well. Every launch of the game gives a different mouse feeling. Or just alt-tabbing out of and back in the game also can drastically change the feel of the mouse and the smoothness of the game. Sometimes I alt-tab several times in a row and it gives this perfect input and frametime consistency for at least 3 minutes before going bad again. I don't think there's anyone in the world who can actually explain this.
Yeah alt tabbing in and out usually makes it better for me but it only lasts a few seconds, maybe a minute, and the effect isn’t consistent either. There’s a lot of other things that give similar relief to alt+tabbing such as changing in-game display settings, processor related settings, plugging cables or devices into my USB ports, plugging things in my power strip. Probably the biggest improvement I’ve seen was waving magnets around the connections to my monitor. All of a sudden the inputs immediately felt normal and the display was so smooth and clear. I’m going insane

I have no idea if it’s the PC, router, or monitor that is having problems or if it’s all of them. I have all the same awful symptoms on my Xbox and it behaves in the exact same way with the same things that alleviate it.

Future

Post by Future » 16 Nov 2023, 04:25

I was doing some test yesterday, and I have the following theory:

The game has its own mouse input capture, while the OS has another one and they interfere with eachother, which messes up the game's mouse input process. How did I come to that conclusion?

I am currently testing Counter-Strike 1.6, because it's an old game, and I am ruling out performance issues. So here are the steps for you to test it for yourself.

1. Launch Counter Strike 1.6 in Fullscreen mode.
2. Go to Video options and check "Run in window" box, click on OK.
3. When the game runs in Windowed mode, go to Video options, uncheck "Run in windows" - your game will force itself in Fullscreen mode.
4. Notice how smooth and correct your mouse movement is. This is the mode the game should run in when you launch it. But it doesn't.

It seems to me that when doing this thing, the Windows somehow realizes it's a game, not some program, and allocates resources to the game, prioritizes it over anything else. But as giving it more CPU time or something, like a graphical proccess. Of course it's a subjective feeling, but you can test it yourself and share the results.

InputLagger

Post by InputLagger » 23 Dec 2023, 01:29

eropsy wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 15:55
Amazing. Its definetly works for me, atleast for now. Went to deathmach and i feel confidence in my aim like old times. Good finding, thank you.
Still working?

eropsy

Post by eropsy » 23 Dec 2023, 06:02

InputLagger wrote:
23 Dec 2023, 01:29
eropsy wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 15:55
Amazing. Its definetly works for me, atleast for now. Went to deathmach and i feel confidence in my aim like old times. Good finding, thank you.
Still working?
nah, it was placebo. next day that trick didnt work :( What i do is disable c-states and speedstep with setting manual vcore and i have always running ThrottleStop software in background. so far best mouse feeling (also avoid installing nvidia hd audio,for me this driver adds input lag)

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 23 Dec 2023, 07:54

The alt tabbing causing different mouse feeling was so typical for csgo... If i remember well, odd alt-tab = bad, even alt-tab = again good. So after alt-tabbing i needed to alt-tab once more. But this was due to trash game engine (sadly they replaced it with another trash).