What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ? [RESOLVED]

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Mims

What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ? [RESOLVED]

Post by Mims » 07 Nov 2023, 05:27

What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ? Or Cloudfare servers 1.1.1.1 ? Or by using MTR ?

I'm saying this because with the simple facts that most of the people here with their ethernet cable plugged off, they get not more issues with input lag or desync with their peripherals and monitors, it's just logically related to the equipments of your ISP.

I did the test, and a network equipment from my ISP is getting spikes to 2000ms, and an avegerage latency of 600 MS with 5 to 10 % packet loss. Without my ethernet cable plugged in, i get no more fuzzy display on my 240hz monitor when playing online game (by playing offline game) which make it look like it's an electricity issue and interference and etc, but it's not on my side.

When i plug in my ethernet cable and use a VPN via Wireguard for example, the fuzzy look on my screen goes away when playing online, the hitreg and the desync is less apparent, but still unplayable unfortunately since i'm physically using the network infrastructure of my ISP.

Lowering the power usage of my computer and the speed of the network card decrease the desync and hitreg issues online too, might be related to the fact that there is less network correction since less data is sent over internet to the servers that hosts games. So i think higher input lag, less desync and hitreg (still at a rate that isn't playable at high level of competition).

Using an ethernet cable 5e instead of 7 or 8 gives the same results, with the 5e my inputs are faster, the screen less fuzzy, but still got desync and hitreg issue, on the other hand with a 7 or 8 cat ethernet cable, the screen looks more fuzzy, my mouse goes crazy, and there is much more desync and hitreg issue (did the test between a 1GB port and a 2,5GB port, same logic).

I'm testing things out and just sharing my experience (i might be wrong).
Last edited by Mims on 16 Nov 2023, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

unconnected

Re: What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ?

Post by unconnected » 07 Nov 2023, 06:35

I used to have the same issue, disconnecting lan resulting in flawless gameplay.
The problem was eth onboard chip (z690 strix - intel 225v3), got a realtek pcie and it is fixed now.

I am still struggling with input lag, but it is not related to lan now (same performance with eth cable connected and diconnected)

Mims

Post by Mims » 07 Nov 2023, 09:30

unconnected wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 06:35
I used to have the same issue, disconnecting lan resulting in flawless gameplay.
The problem was eth onboard chip (z690 strix - intel 225v3), got a realtek pcie and it is fixed now.

I am still struggling with input lag, but it is not related to lan now (same performance with eth cable connected and diconnected)
I'm glad that you managed to find out about the onboard chip ! I also thought at first that it might be coming from my onboard chip, but i got a realtek PCIE and an intel PCIE intel l225v and l226v, same results with the 3 of them. I'm changing my ISP tomorrow and test again to see if it has an impact.

I still identified an issue with a gateway belonging to my ISP, that they refused to troubleshoot because i have a bandwith that match the offer which i'm subscribed to (with the high latency stated in the first post) ... So a technician from another ISP is coming by tomorrow to change my router lol.

What do you mean by input lag, you have no more desync and hitreg issue but just delay with your peripheral ?

unconnected

Post by unconnected » 07 Nov 2023, 11:51

I get like 30ms click-to-image delay on a 144hz zowie,
tried every tweak possible, I suspect EMI but still have to try in another house.

For your case, try changing interrupt moderation in eth adapter settings.
Is your 5e/7/8 cable shielded? If 7 and 8 are, but 5e is not, it may be the router carrying emi into the mobo.
Maybe a high end router may solve the issue.
What type of connection do you have? Copper/fiber/coaxial ?

Mims

Post by Mims » 07 Nov 2023, 12:23

That's a lot, did you tried with a different monitor for exemple ? Or tested every component of your PC ? Like hard drive, RAM and etc ?
I already changed the interrupt moderation, the results were still the same and it had no impact whatsoever.
I have every variant or the cable, i have shielded 5e, 7e , 8 FTP / S/FTP, same results.

I have the last generation of router given by my ISP, i also have an FTTH technology to my place.

I saw that with the new ISP that i'll get tomorrow and the offer that i took, i'll have a dedicated connection towards the mutual point which distribute the internet to every person in my area, we'll see how it goes.

Mims

Post by Mims » 09 Nov 2023, 05:05

After changing ISP yesterday, i have no more desync or hitreg issues, i just now have an issue with some stutter and input lag. I'm looking at it and hopefully i'll fix it quickly :)

unconnected

Post by unconnected » 09 Nov 2023, 13:27

Mims wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 05:05
After changing ISP yesterday, i have no more desync or hitreg issues, i just now have an issue with some stutter and input lag. I'm looking at it and hopefully i'll fix it quickly :)
Sorry for the late reply.
I really don't want to flood your thread with my problems.

For the stutters, are you using intel 12/13/14th series?
If so, try using balanced power plan.
Also reset power related settings in registry (optimizer.exe tweaks, ecc.)
If you have a p/e cpu try -threads N (N of your cpu P cores)

Mims

Post by Mims » 16 Nov 2023, 04:27

I'm using a 13th gen intel CPU, i already tried many tweaks, but none of them mattered.

I'm posting again to announce after 4-5 years of moving to one house to the next, changing ISP, equipments ... i finally get the same perfect latency that i was looking for, same at my brother's house.

The finally to get rid of the latency was to just replace an SSD that i bought a month ago (before changing ISP, which was causing a lot of lag that couldn't see, even thought with 1 to 5 ms displayed in games, read my first post ...), that is supposed to be the best NVMe SSD on the market right now, but a couple days ago, i suspected it to have stability issue which cause the system to add latency, hitreg, and desync issue (since the OS is kind of running on it, so ...)

The name of the SSD : WD_BLACK SN850X, which i'm sure a lot of you guys have on your computers ....
For my point of view, this SSD have a LOT of issue, even though after running CrystalDiskMark, or WD Dashboard, it tells you that the SSD is in good health, actually no.
I swapped to WD because i was replacing my entire gear after moving out but ... just stick to samsung, i just reinstalled the old samsung that i had that i was using in a house with a lot of dirty electricity, and it's just running PERFECTLY.

I'm finally done with all of this, it's such a relief and from the bottom of my heart, i really hope you guys manage to find whatever is causing you issues to enjoying gaming like everyone else. Don't let it get to your mind and be always positive.

PS : To get more in depth of what i did before changing and afterwards
I used the software given with the WD SSD, "Dashboard", which gives you the ability to control the state of the hard drive, and also put it in a gaming mode "2.0", which boost your SSD for gaming ... But whenever i was activating this mode, my computer had more lag, latency, hitreg, desync ... Whenever i was boosting other setting like my graphic card, ram by overclocking and etc, it just became more laggy. Which is counter intuitive, the whole system couldn't take more performance without becoming slower ...

Whenever i was desactiving the gaming mode, less lag overall, but still unplayable. So i was like it might be related to the SSD.

Setting that i was using before which added a lot of latency, for example in the NVIDIA control panel, "threaded optimization", gives me now a lot of advantage in fps games, less latency, my keyboard and mouse react wayyyy faster and wayyy more precise, which before was the complete opposite. And other test with the same logic ... all around the settings that i was putting with my hard drive (and before, also with my internet connection when i had issue with it).

Stability is key (including your INTERNET CONNECTION), really really hard to troubleshoot, but it can affect your system entirely, at a point you might be thinking that it is an electricity issue since all of your component behaves kind of in the same "counter intuitive way".

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 16 Nov 2023, 05:00

Mims wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 04:27
I'm using a 13th gen intel CPU, i already tried many tweaks, but none of them mattered.

I'm posting again to announce after 4-5 years of moving to one house to the next, changing ISP, equipments ... i finally get the same perfect latency that i was looking for, same at my brother's house.

The finally to get rid of the latency was to just replace an SSD that i bought a month ago (before changing ISP, which was causing a lot of lag that couldn't see, even thought with 1 to 5 ms displayed, read my first post ...), that is supposed to be the best NVMe SSD on the market right now, but a couple days ago, i suspected it to have stability issue which cause the system to add latency, hitreg, and desync issue (since the OS is kind of running on it, so ...)

The name of the SSD : WD_BLACK SN850X, which i'm sure a lot of you guys have on your computers ....
For my point of view, this SSD have a LOT of issue, even thought after running CrystalDiskMark, or WD Dashboard, it tells you that the SSD is in good health, actually no.
I swapped to WD because i was replacing my entire gear after moving out but ... just stick to samsung, i just reinstalled the old samsung that i had that i was using in a house with a lot of dirty electricity, and it's just running PERFECTLY.

I'm finally done with all of this, it's such a relief and from the bottom of my heart, i really hope you guys manage to find whatever is causing you issues to enjoying gaming like everyone else. Don't let it get to your mind and be always positive.

I used the software given with the WD SSD, "Dashboard", which gives you the ability to control the state of the hard drive, and also put it in a gaming mode "2.0", which boost your SSD for gaming ... But whenever i was activating this mode, my computer had more lag, latency, hitreg, desync ... Whenever i was boosting other setting like my graphic card, ram by overclocking and etc, it just became more laggy. Which is counter intuitive, the whole system couldn't take more performance without becoming slower ...

Whenever i was desactiving the gaming mode, less lag overall, but still unplayable. So i was like it might be related to the SSD.

Setting that i was using before which added a lot of latency, for example in the NVIDIA control panel, "threaded optimization", gives me now a lot of advantage in fps games, less latency, my keyboard and mouse react wayyyy faster and wayyy more precise, which before was the complete opposite. And other test with the same logic ... all around the settings that i was putting with my hard drive (and before, also with my internet connection when i had issue with it).

Stability is key, really really hard to troubleshoot, but it can affect your system entirely, at a point you might be thinking that it is an electricity issue since all of your component behaves kind of in the same "counter intuitive way".
so in short, hitreg and desync are fully fixed after replacing the SSD?

TheKelz

Post by TheKelz » 16 Nov 2023, 08:10

Mims wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 04:27

The finally to get rid of the latency was to just replace an SSD that i bought a month ago (before changing ISP, which was causing a lot of lag that couldn't see, even thought with 1 to 5 ms displayed in games, read my first post ...), that is supposed to be the best NVMe SSD on the market right now, but a couple days ago, i suspected it to have stability issue which cause the system to add latency, hitreg, and desync issue (since the OS is kind of running on it, so ...)

For my point of view, this SSD have a LOT of issue, even though after running CrystalDiskMark, or WD Dashboard, it tells you that the SSD is in good health, actually no.

Stability is key (including your INTERNET CONNECTION), really really hard to troubleshoot, but it can affect your system entirely, at a point you might be thinking that it is an electricity issue since all of your component behaves kind of in the same "counter intuitive way".
You are lucky that an SSD was your biggest problem, because for me it wasn't. I had an HDD, a SATA SSD and now NVME which is 870 Evo Plus 1TB. All of those always gave me the same issue. Threaded optimization also does absolutely nothing. So my theory is that it's either different for absolutely everyone or changing parts makes one excited and it turns into a placebo.