What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ? [RESOLVED]

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Mims

Re: What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ?

Post by Mims » 16 Nov 2023, 08:59

n1zoo wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 05:00
Mims wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 04:27
I'm using a 13th gen intel CPU, i already tried many tweaks, but none of them mattered.

I'm posting again to announce after 4-5 years of moving to one house to the next, changing ISP, equipments ... i finally get the same perfect latency that i was looking for, same at my brother's house.

The finally to get rid of the latency was to just replace an SSD that i bought a month ago (before changing ISP, which was causing a lot of lag that couldn't see, even thought with 1 to 5 ms displayed, read my first post ...), that is supposed to be the best NVMe SSD on the market right now, but a couple days ago, i suspected it to have stability issue which cause the system to add latency, hitreg, and desync issue (since the OS is kind of running on it, so ...)

The name of the SSD : WD_BLACK SN850X, which i'm sure a lot of you guys have on your computers ....
For my point of view, this SSD have a LOT of issue, even thought after running CrystalDiskMark, or WD Dashboard, it tells you that the SSD is in good health, actually no.
I swapped to WD because i was replacing my entire gear after moving out but ... just stick to samsung, i just reinstalled the old samsung that i had that i was using in a house with a lot of dirty electricity, and it's just running PERFECTLY.

I'm finally done with all of this, it's such a relief and from the bottom of my heart, i really hope you guys manage to find whatever is causing you issues to enjoying gaming like everyone else. Don't let it get to your mind and be always positive.

PS : To get more in depth of what i did before changing and afterwards
I used the software given with the WD SSD, "Dashboard", which gives you the ability to control the state of the hard drive, and also put it in a gaming mode "2.0", which boost your SSD for gaming ... But whenever i was activating this mode, my computer had more lag, latency, hitreg, desync ... Whenever i was boosting other setting like my graphic card, ram by overclocking and etc, it just became more laggy. Which is counter intuitive, the whole system couldn't take more performance without becoming slower ...

Whenever i was desactiving the gaming mode, less lag overall, but still unplayable. So i was like it might be related to the SSD.

Setting that i was using before which added a lot of latency, for example in the NVIDIA control panel, "threaded optimization", gives me now a lot of advantage in fps games, less latency, my keyboard and mouse react wayyyy faster and wayyy more precise, which before was the complete opposite. And other test with the same logic ... all around the settings that i was putting with my hard drive (and before, also with my internet connection when i had issue with it).

Stability is key, really really hard to troubleshoot, but it can affect your system entirely, at a point you might be thinking that it is an electricity issue since all of your component behaves kind of in the same "counter intuitive way".
so in short, hitreg and desync are fully fixed after replacing the SSD?
Hitreg and desync fully fixed after changing ISP by getting rid the lag delay and high latency caused by one of the gateway of my old ISP, and replacing the SSD.

Mims

Re: What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ?

Post by Mims » 16 Nov 2023, 09:03

TheKelz wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 08:10
Mims wrote:
16 Nov 2023, 04:27
I'm using a 13th gen intel CPU, i already tried many tweaks, but none of them mattered.

I'm posting again to announce after 4-5 years of moving to one house to the next, changing ISP, equipments ... i finally get the same perfect latency that i was looking for, same at my brother's house.

The finally to get rid of the latency was to just replace an SSD that i bought a month ago (before changing ISP, which was causing a lot of lag that couldn't see, even thought with 1 to 5 ms displayed in games, read my first post ...), that is supposed to be the best NVMe SSD on the market right now, but a couple days ago, i suspected it to have stability issue which cause the system to add latency, hitreg, and desync issue (since the OS is kind of running on it, so ...)

The name of the SSD : WD_BLACK SN850X, which i'm sure a lot of you guys have on your computers ....
For my point of view, this SSD have a LOT of issue, even though after running CrystalDiskMark, or WD Dashboard, it tells you that the SSD is in good health, actually no.
I swapped to WD because i was replacing my entire gear after moving out but ... just stick to samsung, i just reinstalled the old samsung that i had that i was using in a house with a lot of dirty electricity, and it's just running PERFECTLY.

I'm finally done with all of this, it's such a relief and from the bottom of my heart, i really hope you guys manage to find whatever is causing you issues to enjoying gaming like everyone else. Don't let it get to your mind and be always positive.

PS : To get more in depth of what i did before changing and afterwards
I used the software given with the WD SSD, "Dashboard", which gives you the ability to control the state of the hard drive, and also put it in a gaming mode "2.0", which boost your SSD for gaming ... But whenever i was activating this mode, my computer had more lag, latency, hitreg, desync ... Whenever i was boosting other setting like my graphic card, ram by overclocking and etc, it just became more laggy. Which is counter intuitive, the whole system couldn't take more performance without becoming slower ...

Whenever i was desactiving the gaming mode, less lag overall, but still unplayable. So i was like it might be related to the SSD.

Setting that i was using before which added a lot of latency, for example in the NVIDIA control panel, "threaded optimization", gives me now a lot of advantage in fps games, less latency, my keyboard and mouse react wayyyy faster and wayyy more precise, which before was the complete opposite. And other test with the same logic ... all around the settings that i was putting with my hard drive (and before, also with my internet connection when i had issue with it).

Stability is key (including your INTERNET CONNECTION), really really hard to troubleshoot, but it can affect your system entirely, at a point you might be thinking that it is an electricity issue since all of your component behaves kind of in the same "counter intuitive way".
You are lucky that an SSD was your biggest problem, because for me it wasn't. I had an HDD, a SATA SSD and now NVME which is 870 Evo Plus 1TB. All of those always gave me the same issue. Threaded optimization also does absolutely nothing. So my theory is that it's either different for absolutely everyone or changing parts makes one excited and it turns into a placebo.
Which indicates that it might not be an hard drive issue for you.
Before changing ISP, threaded optimization was giving a ton of lag once i activated it in the control panel, way less when i fixed the ISP issue, and none when i changed my SSD. Everything is linked together, one component behaves badly, or add instability, everything seems to be impacted.

I strongly believe it is different for everyone, because we don't have all of the same hardware combination, same ISP with same routing for our packet over internet ... but we have standard we can base ourselves on to see if there issue or not which can help troubleshoot what's wrong. I've already changed part many many times during these recent years, but it was always out of curiosity and desperation but not based on facts that indicated me an issue with the hardware that i was changing. I just decided to be really methodical with all of this to go on for good.

Oh, to add more to the SSD issue, another thing that indicated me that there was an issue with it, is when performing an sfc /scannow on my windows, it was always fixing corrupted files. And even after performing a clean install, it was indicating me that they were corrupted file, and the funny thing is, after performing these command, when i went into a multiplayer game after, like fortnite, valorant ... my mouse was more precise and more responsive, but still lag, it lasted for hours until it came back to slow and heavy movement.

Mims

Re: What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ? [RESOLVED]

Post by Mims » 19 Dec 2023, 05:11

To add another thing, also check your received fiber signal, if it's below -19dbm, you'll be experiencing TCP retransmissions when playing online, which will add latency, cause desync ... It has to be equal or above this number, otherwise even if your harware is stable, you see no packet loss occuring, there is still your fiber connection that can cause that. If you don't have access to this information, contact your ISP to take a look at it.
It also might explain why people going from ADSL to optical fiber, are now experiencing lag, desync ... I did the test from using different type of fiber connection from going to -19dbm / -20dbm to -24dbm, and the difference is night and day.

Like i said in my first post, it also correlate with the fact that more data is transmitted (by activating XMP for exemple, overclocking your GPU, CPU) ... more issues are happening because the optical fiber signal received from your ISP to your router is weak, resulting in input lag, desync... There is a lot to troubleshoot

You'll thank me later.

akylen

Re: What are your results with a tracert to 8.8.8.8 ? [RESOLVED]

Post by akylen » 19 Dec 2023, 09:33

I have

Optical power received
-19.6dBm

optical power transmission
4.3dBm

on mine.

But , can you even change that ?