Microsoft Store and XBOX stuff (specifically Game Bar) messes things up for me

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
xShino

Microsoft Store and XBOX stuff (specifically Game Bar) messes things up for me

Post by xShino » 24 Nov 2023, 17:13

TL;DR:
After a fresh install the mouse is easier to control, until Game Bar gets updated.

I've been testing for 5 hours nonstop now and I won't reinstall windows again for now because I am tired and fed up.

I think the stupid Game Bar is one of the culprits of what I would call "unprecise mouse movement". The mouse just feels too fast even though it's the same setting I've been using for years - No accel, 800 DPI, and middle notch (6) of Windows mouse speed settings.

I am sure there are different and easier ways to test this, but this is how I reproduced the problem:

1. Format PC
2. Install and click through the first steps normally (Diagnostics and such), I have selected Offline/Local Account
3. When logged in into Windows, don't do anything untill the the default GPU driver is installed (Wait for your screen to flash black, takes about one/two minutes)
4. Set up your mouse (speed and accel) and your Monitor refresh rate (120/144/240, whatever you are used to), this helps me to track/check how my mouse feels right now or how it's supposed to feel.
5. Move your mouse around and try to remember how it feels right now. I usually do slow horizontal movements.
6. Open the Microsoft Store > click on the three dots upper right corner > Update and Install > click on Game Bar ... this started an update in my case (can be checked by going back upper left corner)
7. Right now the mouse should feel different, less precise, maybe even faster

I tried disabling or even uninstalling Microsoft Store through PowerShell, Registry and GPOs but it did not help. The Microsoft Store Apps still get updated, I am not sure from where.

Right now I've used "Geek Uninstaller" to uninstall everything from the MS Store and the Store itself. It feels better than doing nothing but it doesn't feel like the same as in step 5.

If you have something to say please try not to change the topic as it happens with every post on here.

Good luck yall.

Edit:
I just came up with a possible solution that I did not think of:
One could try to run "Geek Uninstaller" after installing Windows (without Internet) to uninstall the Microsoft Store and its components. But I don't trust Windows Updates to not automatically install the Microsoft Store. So it might be a workaround but not really a solution for my taste.

Relic

Re: Microsoft Store and XBOX stuff (specifically Game Bar) messes things up for me

Post by Relic » 25 Nov 2023, 21:48

I've felt this issue for a while as well. Feels like every tweak/fix is just fighting against this fast inaccurate feeling. For me I think removing gamebar after its updated may help a bit but doesn't fix it.

I have installed windows many times this year to get that good feeling for a bit, tracking is just so easy on a fresh install but it just doesn't last and i'm just sending my nvme to an early grave.