MSI Z790 d4 bios guide

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Slender

MSI Z790 d4 bios guide

Post by Slender » 27 Jan 2024, 06:52

To begin with, I will say that the entire time I have had this board I have been experiencing certain problems with input and with the feeling of 60hz on my xl2566k, I have collected all the BIOS settings that compensate for this problem, but do not solve it completely, so if you have any or thoughts on this matter, I will be glad to listen to them.

For first you need to install v14 bios, because new bios is completly destroy you motherboard.
Use usb flashback option to flash it, after that im recomend use CLRRTC button. I will also say that some settings need to be tested in accordance with your level of feelings (im write test in () for it)
Settings:

Pci sub-system:
m2 - set it to max (or use 1:1 for device, test feel)
pcie_e set it to max (or use 1:1 for device, test feel)
Above 4g and resize bar - enabled (disable both for test)
Native pcie / ASPM - disable

Integrated peripherals:
VGA detection - ignore
Bluetooth / wifi - off
bt tile mode - disabled
CNVi - disabled
VMD - disabled (you dont need use RST driver)
HD audio - disabled (dont, if you use that trash)
(also, disable it in ezmode (it disables unused audio driver in dev.man)

USB configuration:
do not disables xhci hand-off because that option not work on all z790 boards (it not lowering your usb to 2.1 from 3.0)
Legacy usb support - disable (im disable it for more mouse control and smooth but test it)(it cause heavy mouse on am4 platform)
USB port control: im disable 10, 11 and 13 port (aura / audio / bluetooth)

BIOS csm / uefi mode - UEFI, (you can test CSM if you have problems with your gpu (stuck on poweroff / reboot, black screens, etc..), (but for full csm work you need install your OS with MBR mode, it fully disable uefi), csm can help if you have bad GOP on your card.

MSI driver installed - disable
BOOT: fast boot disable, full logo - enabled.
Security: Disable Trusted Computing (TPM)
Secure boot - disable

OC:

P-core ratio: set your stable multiplayer for fixed cpu oc
Cpu ratio mode - fixed mode (Test Dynamic Mode, it enables EIST and intel turbo boost, you have a bug with it, task manager shows incorrect cpu speed, to fix it you need enable SpeedShift)
DONT TOUCH ANY OF E-CORES SETTINGS
AVX control - im disable it, but you can stay on enable, just use 0 ratio.
Ring ratio - use max 4.5 for this bios (you need v16 to use more then 4.5 bur for my feel v16 is trash, test it)
CPU cooler tuning - Water
Set manual of your ram (dont use xmp)
Disable SA GV / SPD write - False
Power down control - disable
ODT duration setting mode - Fixed mode
Latency timing setting mode - Fixed mode
Turn Around Timing setting mode - Fixed mode
CPU loadline - mode 3 (also you can set 2 or 1, but mode 3 take a flatline)
CPU loadline saturation control - disabled
overvoltage protection - 400mv and enchanced
CPU switching freq - 800 khz (if you have problem stay with 500 khz for 100% stable)
temp - 95°
AUX loadline - mode 3
Cpu core voltage mode - override mode and set stable voltage.
Set dram voltage.
another voltages - auto (default)
Cpu features: Virtualization / VT-D tech / IOMMU - disable
idk about AES instructions and cfg lock

Advanced CPU settings:
Bclk 100hz lock on - enable
ALL ANOTHER - DISABLE
powerlimit 4096/128/4096/512
CPU liteload control advanced : AC/DC 1 / 1
PLL freq 3200
Core HW Fixup During TSC copy - im disable it but idk how it works but im feel it affect on mouse, test both option.
DMI LINK SPEED - that fixed my mouse responce, use gen3 (by default 4)

or buy normal asus board, ha-ha

about e-cores : im disable it in OS, because disable it in bios gives me bad result in latency moon and feel like i have 60hz monitor.
It also decreases kernel timer latency and affect on wdf driver, thanks intel for that.
bcdedit /set numproc 8 (16 if you use HT)

i can be wrong about all of this settings, if you know something write about it please.

eropsy

Re: MSI Z790 d4 bios guide

Post by eropsy » 27 Jan 2024, 08:14

Do your peripherals work in bios after you disable Legacy usb support ?

Slender

Post by Slender » 27 Jan 2024, 08:28

eropsy wrote:
27 Jan 2024, 08:14
Do your peripherals work in bios after you disable Legacy usb support ?
yes, on all platform i have (z390, z490, z690, x570), if your devices not work maybe you need auto, or stay with on. Also, you can use scewin for change all hidden bios settings from OS.

R1sk

Post by R1sk » 27 Jan 2024, 12:05

Great guide from Master 8-)
Thank you bro you are really helpful

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 28 Jan 2024, 07:02

This guy is so funny. He is struggling with the abnormal problem of input lag and 60 Hz in his radioactive apartment, buying new PC and changing BIOS settings. 4 years already lol

Slender

Post by Slender » 28 Jan 2024, 12:58

TN_fun wrote:
28 Jan 2024, 07:02
radioactive apartment
Attachments
IMG_20240128_205722_384.jpg
IMG_20240128_205722_384.jpg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 3267 times

BlurWickd

Post by BlurWickd » 03 Feb 2024, 13:56

Just wrote out a big reply and accidentally lost it lol so I'll try keep it brief:

On am5 after testing xhci hand-off turned on with legacy disabled it feels much better too.
Disabling fast boot literally made my xl2566k feel so much more responsive like holy, I heard that this causes ram training every boot so it can make your mouse/aim inconsistent? is this true?

I'm personally using the asus tuf gaming b650 plus wifi + a 7800x3d so the bios settings/chip might be different but I'm currently disabling PSS support and NX mode as I read it causes mouse inconsistency / sluggishness in valorant but I'm not sure if that's right

I just wanted to ask a few questions that maybe you could shed some light on since there's not much info online and it seems to vary:

Do you recommend disabling global c-state control on amd?

PCI Express Native Power Management is enabled by default in mine which shows the native aspm which is also enabled, are there any benefits to disabling these?

My pcie link speeds for gpu, m2, chipset etc are all set to auto - I remember reading something about setting these to gen 3 for better mouse is this true? changing my gpu to gen 3 (my gpu is a 4070) seems to affect mouse movement.

Can you share how you found the exact usb ports for the asus aura etc to disable?

Is windows balanced the best powerplan for amd? this prebuilt pc came with their own OC powerplan which I lost after reinstalling windows as they installed all the asus bloatware, their powerplan set the min processor to 10% whereas balanced is set to 5, 10 makes my mouse feel different.

I don't think disabling audio controller is possible in ezmode for asus it just shows the general screen to turn on expo, fans, boot priority etc unless you mean via search whilst in ezmode?

I read that you should set flck to half your ramspeed but my ram is 5600mhz, I set it to 5400 to ensure stability using the expo II preset but when I set my flck to half it I get a black screen until I reset my cmos. By default its on auto which seems to set it at 2000. Is this actually needed?

Does disabling svm/virtualisation bring any benefits or best to just leave it?

My new xl2566k seems to have a ringing noise coming from the right side near the power button, does this happen for you also? I don't think my old one did that.

I'm thinking of just saying fuck asus and going with another mobo sometime soon, what is the best mobo on the market currently in your opinion? intel/amd

I might've forgot some things since I re-wrote it up fast and I apologise for the amount of questions but I appreciate your input and thank you for sharing all that you do

Slender

Post by Slender » 07 Feb 2024, 17:52

BlurWickd wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 13:56
Just wrote out a big reply and accidentally lost it lol so I'll try keep it brief:

On am5 after testing xhci hand-off turned on with legacy disabled it feels much better too.
Disabling fast boot literally made my xl2566k feel so much more responsive like holy, I heard that this causes ram training every boot so it can make your mouse/aim inconsistent? is this true?

I'm personally using the asus tuf gaming b650 plus wifi + a 7800x3d so the bios settings/chip might be different but I'm currently disabling PSS support and NX mode as I read it causes mouse inconsistency / sluggishness in valorant but I'm not sure if that's right

I just wanted to ask a few questions that maybe you could shed some light on since there's not much info online and it seems to vary:

PCI Express Native Power Management is enabled by default in mine which shows the native aspm which is also enabled, are there any benefits to disabling these?

My pcie link speeds for gpu, m2, chipset etc are all set to auto - I remember reading something about setting these to gen 3 for better mouse is this true? changing my gpu to gen 3 (my gpu is a 4070) seems to affect mouse movement.

Can you share how you found the exact usb ports for the asus aura etc to disable?

Is windows balanced the best powerplan for amd? this prebuilt pc came with their own OC powerplan which I lost after reinstalling windows as they installed all the asus bloatware, their powerplan set the min processor to 10% whereas balanced is set to 5, 10 makes my mouse feel different.

I don't think disabling audio controller is possible in ezmode for asus it just shows the general screen to turn on expo, fans, boot priority etc unless you mean via search whilst in ezmode?

I read that you should set flck to half your ramspeed but my ram is 5600mhz, I set it to 5400 to ensure stability using the expo II preset but when I set my flck to half it I get a black screen until I reset my cmos. By default its on auto which seems to set it at 2000. Is this actually needed?

My new xl2566k seems to have a ringing noise coming from the right side near the power button, does this happen for you also? I don't think my old one did that.

I'm thinking of just saying fuck asus and going with another mobo sometime soon, what is the best mobo on the market currently in your opinion? intel/amd

I might've forgot some things since I re-wrote it up fast and I apologise for the amount of questions but I appreciate your input and thank you for sharing all that you do
Thanks for reply.
yes, im always disable c-state and HT when use fixed clocks for cpu. Also, on amd you can use bcdedit numproc for disable HT in windows (maybe better?). I have 5800x previous setup, and im disable it, yes.
yep, you need disable all power management's whats provide your bios. Also, you can use scewin to disable hidden pm settings (and another)
About pci gen, for true, your device and port need be 1:1, but how you know, auto or max gen maybe be better. i have massive fps drop when i use gen3 with gen4 gpu.
im disable audio in settings and ezmode because it complitly disabled audio (usb + high def.) for me, board to board, anyway, better to use external dac for audio (move it to chipset).
idk about fclk on am5, sorry.
I think no problem to disable any virtualization.
Yea, i have that noise compare to my previous xl2546s, but it not hard, and i think yes, if we have emi problems xl2566k with internal psu is bad choise. Im 100% sure xl2566k have worse "power" then xl2546s and i have worse smooth in it, idk how fix that. (im wait 3-4 day for online ups), im write in this thread after i test it.
About asus. Im 100% sure asus better on intel, but on amd i think msi is better. (im compare msi vs asus am4, and msi have better on amd setup), but msi is 100% trash on intel.
About platform, im hate e-cores, and i have better input latency and move feel on amd then intel, but intel have better smooth with nvidia gpu (driver have less dpc latency).
anyway, idk how fix it on all.

widow13

Post by widow13 » 07 Feb 2024, 17:58

Slender wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 17:52
BlurWickd wrote:

Thanks for reply.
yes, im always disable c-state and HT when use fixed clocks for cpu. Also, on amd you can use bcdedit numproc for disable HT in windows (maybe better?). I have 5800x previous setup, and im disable it, yes.
yep, you need disable all power management's whats provide your bios. Also, you can use scewin to disable hidden pm settings (and another)
About pci gen, for true, your device and port need be 1:1, but how you know, auto or max gen maybe be better. i have massive fps drop when i use gen3 with gen4 gpu.
im disable audio in settings and ezmode because it complitly disabled audio (usb + high def.) for me, board to board, anyway, better to use external dac for audio (move it to chipset).
Yea, i have that noise compare to my previous xl2546s, but it not hard, and i think yes, if we have emi problems xl2566k with internal psu is bad choise. Im 100% sure xl2566k have worse "power" then xl2546s and i have worse smooth in it, idk how fix that. (im wait 3-4 day for online ups), im write in this thread after i test it.
About asus. Im 100% sure asus better on intel, but on amd i think msi is better. (im compare msi vs asus am4, and msi have better on amd setup), but msi is 100% trash on intel.
About platform, im hate e-cores, and i have better input latency and move feel on amd then intel, but intel have better smooth with nvidia gpu (driver have less dpc latency).
I'm really curious about the results you gonna get with the online ups and I'm gonna wait for your feedback.
Have you tried line-interactive UPS or is this your first one ?

Slender

Post by Slender » 07 Feb 2024, 17:59

widow13 wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 17:58
Slender wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 17:52
BlurWickd wrote:

Thanks for reply.
I'm really curious about the results you gonna get with the online ups and I'm gonna wait for your feedback.
Have you tried line-interactive UPS or is this your first one ?

nope, that my first :D