Not an EMI thread - Terminal slug cursor is PSU resistance based, not interference based

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Thatweirdinputlag

Re: Not an EMI thread - Terminal slug cursor is PSU resistance based, not interference based

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 04 Feb 2024, 08:31

r0ach wrote:
03 Feb 2024, 08:47
Mr1991 wrote:
02 Feb 2024, 18:50
Interesting, I’ve just ordered a 125V power cable to test with this setup (both the monitor and psu are 250v) which should come tomorrow, saw another guy say he has better results with the 125, but I guess I’ll find out
I don’t know anything about that subject, but for PSU’s, the guy who runs HWBusters PSU reviews said something the other day like “smaller PSUs are able to outcompete the larger PSUs” in some kind of metrics (meaning ones that are like 1200-1300w), but I don’t know exactly what he was alluding to. I think he made the statement concerning SF850-L vs SF1000L.

I can tell you that cable length matters a lot. Obviously or you wouldn’t see companies shipping 25 feet 24AWG HDMI cables and then 28 and 30 AWG 6 foot ones (anything above 26 AWG sucks even at 6 feet though IMO). So on PSU’s with extra short cables like the SF600/SF750/SF850/SF1000 series, these have huge return rates on Amazon because people can’t get them to stretch far enough for their cases to work. Little do they know, instead of a negative, the short cables (they’re 16 AWG to boot and not 18 AWG junk), are probably actually a benefit.
When I got my newest build, the only ATX 3.0 Available to purchase was from thermaltake, safe to say even though I had a mini case, everything was so close to each other, the standard cables barely made it. Cable management went down the drain since there was literally no place for them to go from the back of the motherboard. Yet, all of the problems of latency, input lag, sluggish mouse etc etc were there. Needless to say ofc, the first week I've experienced 0 input lag, 0 latency, 0 hitreg issues etc, everything was perfect even though it was stock all the way from Bios to the windows 11.

Just giving my 2 cents on shorter PSU cables.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

r0ach

Re: Not an EMI thread - Terminal slug cursor is PSU resistance based, not interference based

Post by r0ach » 04 Feb 2024, 11:53

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 08:31
When I got my newest build, the only ATX 3.0 Available to purchase was from thermaltake, safe to say even though I had a mini case, everything was so close to each other, the standard cables barely made it. Cable management went down the drain since there was literally no place for them to go from the back of the motherboard. Yet, all of the problems of latency, input lag, sluggish mouse etc etc were there. Needless to say ofc, the first week I've experienced 0 input lag, 0 latency, 0 hitreg issues etc, everything was perfect even though it was stock all the way from Bios to the windows 11.

I'm kind of confused by this statement. Are you saying your new PSU with normal cable length is better than some previous one with short cables or what?

r0ach

Post by r0ach » 04 Feb 2024, 12:00

Also, I've gone and talked to JonnyGuru about the bare copper thing. He says:

"We use tinned copper wires and terminals and I believe everyone else does too."

So the difference in mouse movement between some of these PSUs seems to be entirely due to 16 vs 18 AWG PCIE/CPU cables + 18 vs 16 vs 14 AWG power cord (of course there's other internal components that can matter as well). He also says strand numbers and such can vary between cables so you could probably get different results among the same gauge.

His above answer in bold though isn't quite true as Seasonic uses gold plated terminals and connectors on many units. The only question is if they also use tinned copper cables or not. Plating all the stuff in gold to try and create the perfect PSU then using tinned copper seems like a pointless idea, so if any company uses bare copper instead, it would probably be Seasonic (but I haven't been able to find answers yet).

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 05 Feb 2024, 00:00

r0ach wrote:
04 Feb 2024, 11:53
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

I'm kind of confused by this statement. Are you saying your new PSU with normal cable length is better than some previous one with short cables or what?
Nope, both exhibited the same type of lag, sluggishness etc etc..
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

amorou

Post by amorou » 05 Feb 2024, 12:37

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 00:00
r0ach wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

You are on win11 , you already have shitload of lag

Its possible since you already have more lag than us , while some things will make difference for our systems , they will not change yours

Object goes with 5mph , you try to push it with 5.1 mph , it will go 5.1 mph
Another object goes 2 mph , you push it with 5.1 mph , it will go 5.1 mph

Vocaleyes

Post by Vocaleyes » 06 Feb 2024, 04:06

amorou wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 12:37
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
r0ach wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

Its possible since you already have more lag than us , while some things will make difference for our systems , they will not change yours

Huh?

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 06 Feb 2024, 08:22

amorou wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 12:37
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
r0ach wrote:
Thatweirdinputlag wrote:

Why did I get singled out for using windows 11 lol! As if I'm the black sheep in a white herd. And please stop drinking, it's the middle of the week.

Besides that, people tend to forget that on a new out of the box system with absolute stock settings everything runs perfectly smooth, snappy as it should, then a couple of days later that perfect 1 to 1 precise mouse movement, hitreg, character responsiveness goes down the drain and you never experience the same level of responsiveness, you'll definitely get close on certain days, but it's just not the same.

So as far as any kind of OS goes, the problem resides elsewhere. If you can't see that, then you're insisting on getting stuck in this hell loop.

amorou

Post by amorou » 06 Feb 2024, 09:05

Enable secure boot with grounding connected, test mouse
Disable it , remove your grounding , test mouse
Enable it while grounding removed , test mouse

anyway

xShino

Post by xShino » 06 Feb 2024, 10:12

Besides that, people tend to forget that on a new out of the box system with absolute stock settings everything runs perfectly smooth, snappy as it should, then a couple of days later that perfect 1 to 1 precise mouse movement, hitreg, character responsiveness goes down the drain and you never experience the same level of responsiveness, you'll definitely get close on certain days, but it's just not the same.

Yooo, speak for yourself. Not everyone has the same issues as you do. That said, I personally never had the feeling that my problem comes and goes or changes.

Thatweirdinputlag

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 07 Feb 2024, 23:51

amorou wrote:
06 Feb 2024, 09:05
Enable secure boot with grounding connected, test mouse
Disable it , remove your grounding , test mouse
Enable it while grounding removed , test mouse

anyway
:roll: