Presentation Model / slutters / input lag in Valorant

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
kamilff32

Presentation Model / slutters / input lag in Valorant

Post by kamilff32 » 14 Feb 2024, 13:18

hey, im looking for some clarification about things that i mentioned in subject and below and also to start some discussion about it, coz this game feels completely different on other presentation modes, and maybe someone gonna find something useful here.
I was following amitxv PC-Tuning guide and he write a little bit about Presentation Model.
As default i always changed valorant flag in "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\Children\" from 11 to 211.
I did it coz once time i was looking how to make valorant exlusive full screen and found info about it. Game feels more smooth for me with it so i always change it.
So amit write about presentmon and about checking what presentation mode app is using so i did it,
In presentmon, flag 211hex is Hardware: Legacy Flip while, 11 is Hardware: Independent Flip.
I start to trying other modes, but no matter what i tried always Legacy Flip was the best one when it comes to smoothnes, while Hardware: Independent Flip (game as Windowed) was most responsive one.
Also theres different flags i tried like 200hex(512dec) its also Legacy flip (anything below it like 511dec auto change to different value 470 or something and presentmon shows it as Hardware: Independent Flip) and i checked avg in spreedsheet, and it looks like its better than 211 flag.
I also tried to disable/enable MPO and HAGS. Best values for me was when MPO was off, and HAGS on.

Theres also different present modes in presentmon but i couldnt figure out how to actually use them (the one i used are bolded)
Hardware: Legacy Flip
Hardware: Legacy Copy to front buffer
Hardware: Independent Flip
Composed: Flip
Hardware Composed: Independent Flip
Composed: Copy with GPU GDI
Composed: Copy with CPU GDI

The methodology i used to determinate what is better and what worse, is
1. My feeling in game
2. I put data from presentmon to google spreedsheet and checked avg values. (played dm for like 1min)

And now to the point of this post.
1. Im sure my methodology with spreedsheet was bad, so can someone explain how i can do it better to get correct resoults about what is better and what worse?
2. What in theory should be the best presentation mode for valorant ?
3. What i missed in all of this? I feels like theres more settings/options that should be considered.
4. What is actually this flag in "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore\Children" ? and what other i should test ?
5. If its gonna make sense how to use different modes that i couldnt use (mentioned above) ?

I always had problem with micro slutters and they are still here, but i feel like this can be solution to fixing this problem.

SPECS if needed:
ryzen 5 5600x
MSI b450 tomahawk
gigabyte rtx 2060 super
32gb ram
512 m.2

InputLagger

Re: Presentation Model / slutters / input lag in Valorant

Post by InputLagger » 02 Mar 2024, 16:15

The games not only feels different, but looks different too https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comme ... t/kdhmvll/ This not about valo, but other games also... :(

I actually found out this by watching back streamers games, where they were on the other team. I started clipping my OWN games and when I found a streamer who was on the other team, I would watch back their VODs and compare the 2.

It was VERY apparent that when I'm top fragging, on my own clips they all seem like bumbling noobs. I can run rings around them, knife from behind etc. When I watch their stream back, I'm the one with God Tier aim/reflexes and they literally stood no chance.

The other (more common) scenario is the roles are reversed. In the comparisons, they would have significantly more time to aim/headshot me, and it just looks like I'm reacting too late after I've even 'noticed' them. My side was comprised of me dying with no time to react, while they appear to perform running headshots with the aim of Jesus Christ.

It was a hard pill to swallow, but this whole time I've been living under a rock. Now I've seen it for myself I know exactly what to expect in games, and pretty much know when I'm going to get dunked on.

People don't realise that the game is actually very unauthentic playing online, to a point where I don't know how good or bad I am. We're left to emulate bad internet to stand a chance in the high-ping matches, but risk being banned for it. Comp is also flawed, not only because of this but its way too easy to get back to your 'best' rank (despite how out of practice you are).

As for Riot, I doubt they'll address because it caters to the wider audience. Immortal players are generally teens with basement PC setups, riding their Grandma's Wi-Fi.

The wider audience aren't aware of these flaws in mainstream, and some of the threads I've found are years old. Riot would never even 'remotely' consider fixing this until it was more recognised. It would require effort, and I'm doubtful people can be bothered to post their own videos of themselves vs streamer POV's to highlight/question the gameplay inconsistencies.

Not that the dev's or anyone else will care, but I've uninstalled the game. I'm going to take up fishing, because I believe it has less RNG.

n1zoo

Post by n1zoo » 03 Mar 2024, 05:44

maybe someone know why none of my games are in GameConfigStore\Children and how I can add it?

ApexLeg

Post by ApexLeg » 03 Mar 2024, 06:45

InputLagger wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 16:15
The games not only feels different, but looks different too https://www.reddit.com/r/VALORANT/comme ... t/kdhmvll/ This not about valo, but other games also... :(
100% that is true - I've seen lots of enemies on my screen moving so fast and erratic that I've no idea how I'm meant to track them. Yet watching majority of streamers gameplay their enemies move slow in comparison. .

I've yet to find a tool or create one that artificially increases my ping. I play Apex mostly but had this issue inside of CoD too, which only ever started to happen when I got rid of the standard ISP router and got a better one.