CS2 What Is The Best Setup

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ButWhatAbout

CS2 What Is The Best Setup

Post by ButWhatAbout » 21 Feb 2024, 13:59

Hi guys,

I know. There are many posts and articles about Reflex and G-Sync. And they are really good. Thank you Blurbusters.
But nevertheless, I‘m still quit unsure for the only real truth for Counter Strike 2 and would really appriciate if a pro could tell me what I‘m supposed to do and if so, where I should get this settings done. I game or in the nVidia Control Panel.

Look. I don‘t really care about tearing in CS2, but what should i prefer:

Leave everything uncapped. Set fps_max 0, leave Gsync off and ignore Reflex (+Boost) and hope that some people are right and get the best latency with this settings.

Or should I

Turn Gsync on, get Reflex running and maybe vsync? Or without vsync? Should I cap the frames? Should I limit them on a stable value like maybe 350? Or should I limit them 3 frames under my refresh rate (180Hz)?

My System:
LG 27GP850
Ryzen 7800x3d
Nvidia RTX 4080
32 GB Ram @6000 Mt/s

hazilla

Re: CS2 What Is The Best Setup

Post by hazilla » 22 Feb 2024, 16:24

I'm forever messing around with settings, atm I have it running really smooth atm. Here's what I'm using.

12900k @ 5.2 ghz
Vcore 1.3
XMP enabled
3600 Gear 1
Hyperthreading enabled

Windows 11 Pro, with Atlas AME
Installed ethernet, intel chipset + intel management drivers from mobo site
Network settings reset to default
Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling OFF (I think this made a difference)
disabledynamictick true

Nvidia:
VSYNC, GSYNC off
Low latency mode On

CS2
Reflex ON
8 x AA
16 x AF

Not touched much else

Slender

Post by Slender » 23 Feb 2024, 14:12

hazilla wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 16:24
I'm forever messing around with settings, atm I have it running really smooth atm. Here's what I'm using.

12900k @ 5.2 ghz
Vcore 1.3
XMP enabled
3600 Gear 1
Hyperthreading enabled

Windows 11 Pro, with Atlas AME
Installed ethernet, intel chipset + intel management drivers from mobo site
Network settings reset to default
Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling OFF (I think this made a difference)
disabledynamictick true

Nvidia:
VSYNC, GSYNC off
Low latency mode On

CS2
Reflex ON
8 x AA
16 x AF

Not touched much else
disabledynamictick not work in w11 anymore because w11 use rtc tick by default.
if you set llm on (it lock your prerender frame to 1), reflex ignore that.

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 23 Feb 2024, 21:05

I doubt it will be a pro who will give you help here, as there are only few pros who really understand all the settings and tweaks, blurbusters is more ahead. There is a nice topic with HUGE doc where all the tweaks are mentioned - how to setup PC for most optimal settings and its GREAT. Read and try.

Anyways as a cs2 player...
For uncapped fps i can recommend vsync fast. Without vsync the game runs always like 60hz crap, no matter which settings.

For testing persisted freqency and smoothness i recommend to go offline training and move mouse at spawn. With vsync fast its most fluent (the same persistented fluency you can notice with vsync and fps cap, never so good with any other settings without vsync, at least i didnt find any, but the frames with vsync fast are more actual so at performant rig its better setting to prefer vsync fast over vsync + limit which may be better at rigs which so so keep the fps to save their boost time for moments when need it the most).

My settings: vsync fast, gsync on, no cap, Reflex on, overclocked GPU, not overclocked CPU, gigabyte mobo (faster uncore, low latency support). And USB headset (disabled integrated sound card, disabled iGpu, disabled SATA, and other innecessary IRQs). And competitive settings cs2 (including 8xAA and 16xAF to see over metal floor in vertigo). You can find them at every 2nd youtube vid so i want describe every settings. Currently its also recommended to set shadows to LOW but with manual tweak rendering them from UNLIMITED distance (at high you have unlimited distance BUT you dont see people sitting in smokes e. g. in mirage mid ct smoke at the self boost at the crate the shadow will show CT silhouette at low at ground, but not at high)

Discutable:
- enabling hidden performance mode preset (may help but also may not)
- GPU overclock (may increase performance but also may cause overvoltage which can make things when EMI issue is present)
- CPU disabling fastest frequency step (again, if EMI issue is present, lowering voltage may help even if you sacrifice a bit of performance)
- the same about RAMS (to prevent EMI), SSD (SSD may also suffer from driver issue causing terrible input lag/stutter/EMI...)
- gaming mode (in my case 0 effect, sometimes may help, sometimes may not)

Sadly, for 2024 540hz Zowie XL2586K gaming is ideal hardware setup: Ryzen 9800X3D, 7400Mhz RAM, Improved Uncore GB MoBo with manual PBO (socket B650+), GF 5070Ti and better. This setup may keep fps above 540fps stable.
No, you cant buy it yet...

olofsson_tom

Post by olofsson_tom » 24 Feb 2024, 02:28

joseph_from_pilsen wrote:
23 Feb 2024, 21:05
. Currently its also recommended to set shadows to LOW but with manual tweak rendering them from UNLIMITED distance (at high you have unlimited distance BUT you dont see people sitting in smokes e. g. in mirage mid ct smoke at the self boost at the crate the shadow will show CT silhouette at low at ground, but not at high)
What is this tweak? Can you explain how to do it? 😀

ButWhatAbout

Post by ButWhatAbout » 24 Feb 2024, 07:57

Thank you guys for the responses!

Well...
I don't want to mess around with Windows registry/deep settings. I don't feel like there's a need for this on my system.
But thanks anyways!
I doubt it will be a pro who will give you help here, as there are only few pros who really understand all the settings and tweaks, blurbusters is more ahead. There is a nice topic with HUGE doc where all the tweaks are mentioned - how to setup PC for most optimal
I've read some articles and topics, but which do you mean in special?

Anyways as a cs2 player...
For uncapped fps i can recommend vsync fast. Without vsync the game runs always like 60hz crap, no matter which settings.
Ok, i give it a try.
But if I'm getting this right: Turn vsync in nVidia Control Panel on fast and leave ingame off?

Discutable:
- enabling hidden performance mode preset (may help but also may not)

- CPU disabling fastest frequency step (again, if EMI issue is present, lowering voltage may help even if you sacrifice a bit of performance)

Sorry... could you tell me more details to each of this points?

joseph_from_pilsen

Post by joseph_from_pilsen » 24 Feb 2024, 09:25

ButWhatAbout

Post by ButWhatAbout » 25 Feb 2024, 10:04

Ok thx.
Honestly. I‘m not that good or focused to look for player shadows.

But I tried the vsync tip. Well. I don‘t know. Frametimes are more stable and yes, it looks smooth, but there are some delays, like when I shoot a player, he gets killed by me after I stopped shooting.