Emulator settings

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ahead

Re: UDP packet always UNREPLIED.

Post by ahead » 17 Mar 2024, 05:23

ICMP. Google it.

Vegeta

Post by Vegeta » 17 Mar 2024, 06:33

I did a research. How can it be useful to me? I was not familiar with this type of package.
Do you feel like giving me some hints? How can I use these packages to fix the problem?

Ragerlis

Post by Ragerlis » 17 Mar 2024, 16:58

Vegeta wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 06:33
I did a research. How can it be useful to me? I was not familiar with this type of package.
Do you feel like giving me some hints? How can I use these packages to fix the problem?
He's likely making a reference to icmp because you need to have control of both ends to diagnose udp packets and its impossible to do it in a simple traceroute test.

Your unreplied packets is likely a icmp echo call who got ignored by the server because he is just configured to do it, means very little to real packets going trough this route.

Usually people use iPerf to check for problems with udp routes and transfer, for the packet itself, wireshark and relatives.

d-unknown

Post by d-unknown » 17 Mar 2024, 21:55

iperf is the way to diagnose any problem with udp packets, basically it will send a "known data" to a server and compares the sent data with the received data, i remember when i was on adsl , i had like 15% udp packet loss and sometimes more
the problem with iperfs is that it use a 1 location server, so even with 0% packet loss , that mean nothing because you still can have huge udp packet loss with a server in a different location

the best you can do is to rent a vps server close to your game server and do a 2 direction test (upload & download)

personally i did it and i get always 0% packet loss with an ftth internet connection, and guess what i still suffer from huge desync & hitreg

the nature of udp protocol is whatever you receive a packet or not , no one will give a shit