New Display came with Lags - Please Help

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ENDZone

New Display came with Lags - Please Help

Post by ENDZone » 05 Apr 2024, 15:14

I just got a new display for my setup and now get micro freezes (lags) every few seconds.
I tried a bunch of stuff, things that i read here and elsewhere on the interwebs but cant figure out whats going on.

Here is my setup:
Display:
ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ (3840x2160@120Hz)
IIyama 24" LCD FullHD (currently disconnected but would be great if i can reconnect it)
PC:
Intel i9-13900k
Nvidia RTX2080Ti
128GB Corsair Dominator RAM
ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO Motherboard
Windows 10 64bit

I didnt experience any of those micro freezes before with my old FullHD Screen, but im fairly sure my Graficscard can handle the 4k since i still get 120fps in games.
The picture of my new OLED is incredible, but i cant enjoy games with those micro freezes.
Obviously i updated my grafics drivers and installed a driver for the display.
I locked my max frame rate to 120fps, g-sync is enabled on the Nvidia control panel and on the display.
V-Sync is ON in the Control Panel and OFF in games.
Im connected to the display via HDMI cable which was supplied with the display, i tried the DP cable too, but for some reasons i cant get a picture via DP.

I saw there are a bunch of really experienced people around here, so I'm asking if somebody could please help me get this fixed.
Let me know if you need more Data.

Thank you in advance!

Thatweirdinputlag

Re: New Display came with Lags - Please Help

Post by Thatweirdinputlag » 06 Apr 2024, 01:28

As per the G-Sync setup guide here, please try locking your in-game fps to 3-4 digits below your screen's refresh rate. I.E 116-117Fps. If the games you play are windowed, also make sure that you go to Nvidia Control Panel ---> G-Sync Tab ---> Enable G-Sync for windowed Applications too.

As this might not really solve the issue, but at least it's the correct way to setup G-Sync. Your 2080Ti is still a strong card. I've had it up until January of last year, yet I can assure you it will start struggling with a 4K 42" display :( ! Could you possibly download any of the hardware monitoring tools to keep an eye on overall temps? I'm guessing your new monitor is giving that poor GPU a run for its life.
Rog Strix Z790i - Intel 13700K - 4090 OC ROG Strix - 7200 Trident G.Skill - 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 - 1000W ATX3.0 Asus Tuf - 34'' Odyssey OLED G8 - FinalMouse Tenz S/Pulsar Xlite V2 Mini - Wooting 60HE - Sennheiser HD 560s - Shure SM7b - GoXLR Mini

HarryDrews

Post by HarryDrews » 11 Apr 2024, 14:34

Thatweirdinputlag wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 01:28
Your 2080Ti is still a strong card. I've had it up until January of last year, yet I can assure you it will start struggling with a 4K 42" display :( ! I'm guessing your new monitor is giving that poor GPU a run for its life.
You beat me to it. It's impressive that this GPU can be pushed so hard!

@OP - let us know if you find the fix. I'm curious..

ENDZone

Post by ENDZone » 19 Apr 2024, 18:34

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait.

So arguably the 2080Ti was able to put out a 4k picture but it ran hot, like reaching the limit hot. It had around 80°C on it continuously, and with that came the sound of a small jet turbine.
Actually im really proud that the AIO cooling could keep the Motherboard on a stable 50°C.
My 2080Ti is from Zotac, and only has 1 small fan - i regret that buy still to this date.

However, i want to have a smooth 4k experience and so it was time to upgrade yet again.
This week my brand new MSI 4080Super Slim (3 real fans) got delivered. After realizing that the power connector is different and having worries about the 850W PSU (Corsair) i had installed previously, i decided to spend even more money on a BeQuiet 1000W PSU.
After a long night yesterday, changing almost every cable so i can plug everything into the PSU (how is this not standardized?!) i ran some tests today.

Unfortunately i still have lags, but they seem different somehow.
I locked my frames to 60fps but kept my refresh rate on 120Hz - that should be no problem, right?
MSI Afterburner tells me i get a drop down to 50fps every couple seconds.
The temperatures are on a cozy 45°C on the GPU and even lower on the MoBo according to HWInfo.

Obviously i tried to update my graphics driver with the GeForce experience panel but apparently there was no new driver for my new card.

New Display, new GPU, new PSU - i only have one kidney left, but if i still get frame drops it was not worth it.
Maybe i forgot a setting somewhere somehow?!
Do you guys have an idea what could cause this?

Sorry that i left you waiting, ill be faster with my next response.
Attachments
A Snip of the Frame Drop
A Snip of the Frame Drop
Dota2 Lags_2..PNG (5.5 KiB) Viewed 763 times
The whole recording of one Dota Match
The whole recording of one Dota Match
Dota2 Lags.PNG (142.43 KiB) Viewed 763 times

Ragerlis

Post by Ragerlis » 19 Apr 2024, 18:56

ENDZone wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 18:34
Hey guys, sorry for the long wait.

So arguably the 2080Ti was able to put out a 4k picture but it ran hot, like reaching the limit hot. It had around 80°C on it continuously, and with that came the sound of a small jet turbine.
Actually im really proud that the AIO cooling could keep the Motherboard on a stable 50°C.
My 2080Ti is from Zotac, and only has 1 small fan - i regret that buy still to this date.

However, i want to have a smooth 4k experience and so it was time to upgrade yet again.
This week my brand new MSI 4080Super Slim (3 real fans) got delivered. After realizing that the power connector is different and having worries about the 850W PSU (Corsair) i had installed previously, i decided to spend even more money on a BeQuiet 1000W PSU.
After a long night yesterday, changing almost every cable so i can plug everything into the PSU (how is this not standardized?!) i ran some tests today.

Unfortunately i still have lags, but they seem different somehow.
I locked my frames to 60fps but kept my refresh rate on 120Hz - that should be no problem, right?
MSI Afterburner tells me i get a drop down to 50fps every couple seconds.
The temperatures are on a cozy 45°C on the GPU and even lower on the MoBo according to HWInfo.

Obviously i tried to update my graphics driver with the GeForce experience panel but apparently there was no new driver for my new card.

New Display, new GPU, new PSU - i only have one kidney left, but if i still get frame drops it was not worth it.
Maybe i forgot a setting somewhere somehow?!
Do you guys have an idea what could cause this?

Sorry that i left you waiting, ill be faster with my next response.
Remove all unecessary hardware for troubleshooting, storage, periphericals, etc. Try running the system with less ram, one stick even, its the easiest troubleshooting right now and can save you a shit ton of time before trying shady tweaks. Just run it more barebones possible.

Slender

Post by Slender » 19 Apr 2024, 23:50

check you connection.
i have same shit with hdmi cable. Just check your plug.