New Display, New GPU, FPS Drops - Help Me Please

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ENDZone

New Display, New GPU, FPS Drops - Help Me Please

Post by ENDZone » 27 Apr 2024, 02:06

Hi Guys,

I posted here previously with no success, now its round two.
All started with a new Display - Asus ROG OLED PG42UQ (native 4k, max 138Hz refresh rate, 42", g-sync, all the goodies, looks great)
My old 2080Ti had stutters and thermal issues, so i upgraded to a MSI RTX4080 and installed a new BeQuiet PSU with 1000W.
Thinking i can now enjoy games at 4k at a stable 60fps.

But heres my disappointment:
I get frame drops from my locked 60fps down to 50fps and i cant figure out why.
It happens in every game that i played so far : Dota2, Squad, Tarkov, HellLetLose, also Singleplayer games like Deathloop.
Constant frame drops after a couple secounds.
Weirdly enough, the Mark3D Benchtest runs smoothly even though my final score is not as high as i thought it would be.
I'll attach a picture from MSI Afterburner, showing the frame drops during a Dota Game.

Im thinking, the RTX 4080 should be super fine running games at 60fps in 4k, i even reduced the graphics settings for some to see if it helps - it doesn't.

Did anybody experience something similar and
can anybody help me solve this so i can finally enjoy gaming again?
Attachments
Dota2 Lags.PNG
Dota2 Lags.PNG (142.43 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Dota2 Lags_2..PNG
Dota2 Lags_2..PNG (5.5 KiB) Viewed 682 times

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: New Display, New GPU, FPS Drops - Help Me Please

Post by RealNC » 29 Apr 2024, 10:22

I think you use 128GB RAM? What configuration? For games, you're usually much better off with something like 2x16GB with high XMP clocks and lower latencies. More but slower RAM can have a negative impact on minimum framerates, which you seem to be suffering from.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Kanipshun

Post by Kanipshun » 29 Apr 2024, 10:55

You haven't posted your cpu specs unless I missed it. Two of the games you mentioned (squad and hll) are very much cpu bound and you should have been fine with a 2080ti. Squad is also a hot pile of garbage. I used to get 276 fps in training range while ads before they added PIP scopes and with the exact same scopes I get 160 fps now. Devs killed the optimization of that game.

If you're cpu is outdated and was struggling, you've only made it worse by trying to play in 4k.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 Apr 2024, 13:25

Kanipshun wrote:
29 Apr 2024, 10:55
You haven't posted your cpu specs unless I missed it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13273&p=103052#p103052
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.