USB 3.0 one port working better than the other one

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
yajin

USB 3.0 one port working better than the other one

Post by yajin » 30 Apr 2024, 07:06

So my problem is simple to explain, One of the two USB 3.0 HUB ports has better mouse movement than the other one. The difference is obvious, one port gives me slower but smoother mouse movement and the other one gives me faster movement, I feel that the one with faster movement gives me less input lag. And It's not the mouse since I already tested two different mouse and the performance is always better at one port. My question is how could this be true, if one port isn't working properly, shouldn't the hub disconnect or smth. And what could be the fix, can you replace the hub? Because I feel that since there's a difference at performance between two ports maybe the port that has better performance could actually have even better one if replaced.
My specs:
Monitor - Pavilion 23cw 60hz oc to 70hz
Motherboard - Gigabyte H110M-S2H
CPU - Intel i7-6700
GPU - NITRO+ RX 580 8G G5 SE
Ram - Kingston Fury 1x16gb
PSU - Corsair CX650
Mouse - I use Razer viper 8khz but always at 1000hz
The other mouse I tested with is Mastermouse MM710

MatrixQW

Re: USB 3.0 one port working better than the other one

Post by MatrixQW » 30 Apr 2024, 17:55

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/tr ... ce-viewer/

I don't know if this has something to do with it but worth a try to test.
With usb device viewer from Microsoft, check what you have for the slower and faster port in Companion Port Number/Hub Symbolic Link.
If the fast port has no companion port number and no symbolic link and the slow port has, then this could mean something.
Try other ports following this.
Attachments
usbdeviceviewer.png
usbdeviceviewer.png (23.47 KiB) Viewed 1086 times

yajin

Post by yajin » 01 May 2024, 04:33

Thank you man for your suggestion. So here are the two pictures of both ports, they're the same I think.
Attachments
Slower mouse movement port
Slower mouse movement port
slower port.png (39.67 KiB) Viewed 973 times
Faster mouse movement port
Faster mouse movement port
faster port.png (121.18 KiB) Viewed 973 times

Mr1991

Post by Mr1991 » 01 May 2024, 19:37

So port 4 feels slow, but port 3 feels fast? What’s the other usb devices, I assume one is keyboard, are these plugged into 3.0 ports, or do you have a mix of 3.2/2.0?

phx

Post by phx » 02 May 2024, 23:32

So my problem is simple to explain, One of the two USB 3.0 HUB ports has better mouse movement than the other one. The difference is obvious, one port gives me slower but smoother mouse movement and the other one gives me faster movement, I feel that the one with faster movement gives me less input lag.
I can confirm this, the same thing happened with my Viper8kHz, but the bigger problem was that the mouse in the more responsive port (ASMedia) itself switched to 1kHz mode, and this was only fixed by physically reconnecting the connector in the PC, I read here and in other places that this is a problem with the Viper 8kHz firmware and in the end I had to use it in other ports or at 1kHz.
ASMedia ports (2074 for usb2/3074 for usb3 hub)
ASMedia ports (2074 for usb2/3074 for usb3 hub)
Screenshot 2024-05-03 060203.png (319.81 KiB) Viewed 548 times
Now I have an Atlantis Lamzu v2 4k, which, in my opinion, is much better than the Viper8kHz, if only because all the settings are saved in the mouse memory and you don’t need to have the software running in order to save the LOD settings, etc.

By the way, just running discord after some time greatly affects FPS with a large mouse Hz when moving (corrected instantly by restarting discord), even despite the corrections that were made on the latest Windows 11, it seems to be corrected by installing the x64 version of discord.

I need more time to test the ASMedia port on Lamzu and Discord in order to draw a conclusion.

p.s you can use USB Device Tree Viewer so that you can see where and how your mouse is connected.

dizelcs

Post by dizelcs » 03 May 2024, 12:40

phx wrote:
02 May 2024, 23:32
By the way, just running discord after some time greatly affects FPS with a large mouse Hz when moving (corrected instantly by restarting discord), even despite the corrections that were made on the latest Windows 11, it seems to be corrected by installing the x64 version of discord.
Did u try Discord-Fixer from github (also disables keyboard shortcuts)? Should help with mouse feel