GPU scaling and input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: GPU scaling and input lag?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Feb 2014, 15:53

I have heard of situations where:
-- display scaling (of slower scaling engines) is slower than GPU scaling (of faster graphics cards).
-- display scaling (of faster scaling engines) is faster than GPU scaling (of slower graphics cards).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

NCX

Post by NCX » 25 Feb 2014, 14:44

Scaling vs. no scaling has no effect on the monitors delay. I tested this using 1440p monitors with a scaler (BenQ BL2710PT & Crossover 2755AMG) and without (Qnix QX2710) vs. a CRT (Samsung 700NF) using the SMT Tool 2.5 and also used the BL2710PT's Pixel Mapping feature since some believe using it can bypass the scaling delay, but the delay remained the same regardless of which settings and resolutions were used.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2014, 14:50

NCX wrote:Scaling vs. no scaling has no effect on the monitors delay. I tested this using 1440p monitors with a scaler (BenQ BL2710PT & Crossover 2755AMG) and without (Qnix QX2710) vs. a CRT (Samsung 700NF) using the SMT Tool 2.5 and also used the BL2710PT's Pixel Mapping feature since some believe using it can bypass the scaling delay, but the delay remained the same regardless of which settings and resolutions were used.
Yep, this is hopefully the case for most displays nowadays (real-time scaling), but this wasn't always the case (buffered scaling).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 10 Mar 2014, 14:48

GPU scaling vs Display is there a difference in Image Quality, I always use GPU scaling, as you usually have more control on the output then the display scaling which may or may not have some options for pictures adjustment depending on your monitor.