59.9fps and stutter/lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
MxOAgentJohnson

59.9fps and stutter/lag

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 23 Sep 2014, 16:28

Hey guys, long time Lightboost user here, and apologies if this is in the wrong section or wrong topic related to this forum, but in the past i have come here looking for help and everyone on here seems more knowledgable on how computers work.

For the longest time, i have been a CRT user, i've used one up until 2013 in which it decided to die and i replaced it with a Ben Q 2720t monitor, which is great, besides the blur of locked games at 60 w/o lightboost but oh well.

Anyway, i've never really gamed on much demanding, a few games here and there, but i've been noticing something strange about some games lately, and i dont know if its my computer, or down to the game (at this point, i put it down to the game)

Well, i had some bad experiences with stuttering in a few games, mainly Unreal games with bad use of texture streaming, where the game with for 0.5s hitch in certain locations and if i had my fps locked to say, 60, it would show up as 59 temporarily.

However, lately i had noticed something, a lot more games were doing this, outside of unreal.

I use a tool called Rivatuner to lock framerates outside of games, for example if i want a game that doesnt have an internal fps locker outside of vsync i'll use rivatuner.

Sometimes i notice that the framerate in the corner, drops to say, 59.9, 59.8, 59.7 and either one of two things will happen, which is mostly the first, is the game will stutter. Do that small micro pause.

I've tested this on a few games, Dishonoured (even if its unreal it doesnt suffer as bad from the texture popin problem) Team Fortress 2, Ultra SF4 etc.

I'm noticing it a lot more lately due to me actually having time to play games outside of my competetive circle. Now i dont know if the trouble is coming from RTSS locking the frames or the actual game, but lets use TF2 as an example.

When i join a server, everything needs to load, thats understandable, and for as long as ive played TF2 i've experienced stutters, but when i use rtss, if i join say a 30 man server and play the first 5 minutes will do this 60 to 59.9 or whatever drop at times and freeze very shortly, this happens all throughout the game but is mostly prevelant when i first join a new map or new server.

After like, 5-10 minutes it happens very rarely, only on like someone joining a server, someone getting something server side etc.

Now when i play Ultra, the same thing happens, all be it i dont get micro freezes, fraps never shows it go to 59, it stays at 60, but on rtss at times it shows 59.9, and ingame it doesnt stutter so much as slow down very very VERY slightly, but in a game like ultra this is something i really dont want as it messes about with inputs and preciseness of combos which i dont like to sacrifice.

A game that had this problem rampantly was Batman Arkham City, but that was due to texture streaming.

Can i just ask, which i wanna expand my knowledge, even when fraps doesnt show 59 when rtss goes to 59.9, does this actually mean anything, or have i drove myself so insane with worry that i'm starting to pretend to notice these things when it happens, like in ultra for example, or is it just me.

With tf2, i have no idea how to test this theory whilst locking the fps ingame using the ingame fps limiter because cl_showfps 1 sometimes shows a solid 59 or a solid 60 and thats it.

I really have no idea, it's kinda upsetting me, at first i thought it was my comptuer, things loading badly into ram, so i did a memory test, everything was crystal clear, i tried a few other graphics cards, heck even on a friends compter, and his kind of had the same problem at times his is a lot less rampant. I reinstalled windows onto an SSD, it didnt really help.

Archeage has this problem aswell, some games dont have it atall, whilst others do, and it's rather depressing because i worry it's my computer, but i've tested every component, checked all heating, lowered settings to lowest possible and it just happens consistently.

If anyone has any tips i'd be very grateful, again sorry if this is off topic for this sort of forum, but you lot seem very knowledgable on how framerates work as opposed to other forums, and myself being an avid user of lightboost when i can reach high framerates on games i thought it would be nice to sign up and learn new things!

Many thanks guys, also my specs are i7 2600 @ 3.5ghz, nVidia 680 2gb RAM Power edition, 8gb Samsung Green, 750w PSU

flood

Re: 59.9fps and stutter/lag

Post by flood » 23 Sep 2014, 19:04

hopefully someone else can give you a longer explanation, but basically this is expected behavior as if you dont have vsync/gsync it is impossible to sync to display refresh using a framerate limiter