Stuttering in windows, games etc. - 144hz display

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
pepper82

Stuttering in windows, games etc. - 144hz display

Post by pepper82 » 31 Oct 2014, 08:24

Hi all,
I am having trouble with stuttering when moving windows (Windows 7 64-bit), looking around in shooters (3d), etc.
I have not been able to get rid of this issue whatever I tried (and I tried a lot of things).

I get "stuttering warning" when I do your test @ http://www.testufo.com/ (also it only shows 60 fps but not 120 fps ... but it should because I have a 144 hz display?!)

And then I tried this test, too:
http://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=smooth
It's not smooth but stutters and I notice tearing (it moves from top to the bottom within the white bars).

My system specs:
Hardware:

Monitor: Asus VG278h 144 hz Monitor

Betriebssystemname Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Prozessor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 5901 MHz, 4 Kern(e), 8 logische(r) Prozessor(en)
BIOS-Version/-Datum American Megatrends Inc. F19e, 21.11.2012
SMBIOS-Version 2.7
Installierter physikalischer Speicher (RAM) 16,0 GB
Gesamter realer Speicher 16,0 GB
Verfügbarer realer Speicher 12,9 GB
Gesamter virtueller Speicher 31,9 GB
Verfügbarer virtueller Speicher 28,4 GB
Größe der Auslagerungsdatei 16,0 GB
Auslagerungsdatei C:\pagefile.sys

What can cause this stuttering?

Thank you so much for your help!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Stuttering in windows, games etc. - 144hz display

Post by RealNC » 31 Oct 2014, 08:51

You need to enable Aero for this to work. With disabled Aero the UFO tests don't work correctly and moving windows on the desktop will stutter regardless of what you do. And you also can't have desktop vsync without Aero.

Also, you need a 1000Hz mouse, otherwise you get stutter both when moving windows as well as in games. If you already have a 1000Hz mouse, make sure that 1000Hz is actually activated in the mouse's configuration software, as some 1000Hz mice might not actually default to 1000Hz on boot.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Trip

Post by Trip » 31 Oct 2014, 09:24

Enabling earo will fix the tearing issue but it probably wont fix the stutter issue. If you are able to see stuttering on the windows desktop I would advise you to do a virus/spyware scan. If that doesnt help you could try some stress testing for both your cpu and gpu. If these are running fine with adequate performance I really dont know what it could be. A 1000hz mouse is nice to get a bit more smoothness but it shouldnt be the cause of excessive stuttering. Else people all around the globe would complain about it since >90% of people probably have a 125hz mouse and a 60hz screen.

amakusa

Post by amakusa » 04 Jan 2015, 05:00

last time I got stuttering in csgo, I scan my pc, there was a malware inside. I took it out and the problem was fixed.