Asus vg248qe vs Benq xl2430t

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
kevin2428

Asus vg248qe vs Benq xl2430t

Post by kevin2428 » 09 Nov 2014, 18:58

I have both the asus vg248qe and the benq xl2430t right now and am deciding on which one to keep. I ran game mode on the asus and the picture quality when compared to the benq is horrible. The colors are washed out and overall picture quality is just worse. Should be noted that this is while the asus is in game mode. In standard mode the benq and asus look almost alike in terms of picture quality/color. Anyways, game mode in the asus is supposed to minimize screen processing to achieve better input lag and response hence why it looks so damn terrible compared to the benq. The question is, how does the benq maintain such good picture quality while also trying to optimize performance? The benq looks amazing in its fps mode with ama turned to high or whatever but it leaves me feeling dubious that it can look so good while trying to minimize screen processing and decrease input lag. I honestly dont care about picture quality as long as i get the best performance out of online fps like csgo etc, however, ill take the benq if it still maintains performance over the asus or matches it even with the picture looking twice as better than asus' game mode. Any thoughts?

aeliusg

Re: Asus vg248qe vs Benq xl2430t

Post by aeliusg » 09 Nov 2014, 23:09

I picked up one of these (XL2430T) to play around with. The new Blur Reduction 2.0 with the built-in controls is pretty convenient. The Display Pilot software they have needs to have more than a few kinks worked out, however, in terms of getting calibration and settings to stick, but you can access all the settings from the OSD anyway, so that's OK.

You have both don't you? If you have a good camera you can see if one is faster than the other with testUFO. AFAIK the XL2430T should be very fast in Instant Mode if it hasn't gotten any worse since the XL2420Z, and that doesn't seem to affect picture quality negatively at all.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Nov 2014, 23:40

Can you please tell us about these new modes? No one has done a proper review of this monitor or elaborated about these modes :(

is there still strobe phase settings? (besides strobe duty (persistence)? What do these adjustments do?
How is the crosstalk on testUFO /alien invasion/full screen WITHOUT using Vertical total tweaks?
Does it have accelerated scanout by default ? (the Z series don't, which is what the VT tweaks are for; it does in lightboost mode as LB has extra hardware for this and per line overdrive).

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 10 Nov 2014, 00:11

Falkentyne wrote:Can you please tell us about these new modes? No one has done a proper review of this monitor or elaborated about these modes :(

is there still strobe phase settings? (besides strobe duty (persistence)? What do these adjustments do?
How is the crosstalk on testUFO /alien invasion/full screen WITHOUT using Vertical total tweaks?
Does it have accelerated scanout by default ? (the Z series don't, which is what the VT tweaks are for; it does in lightboost mode as LB has extra hardware for this and per line overdrive).
First off, I don't have a camera, so I can't give you any proper evidence, but from what I'm eyeballing it does have accelerated scanout. Crosstalk is heaviest on the first two lines of UFOs, lightest in the center and middling on the last two lines.

I've been a bit busy (and it looked quite good out of the box) so I haven't played with the blur reduction settings, but they are: intensity (which I presume is strobe length) and area (which is probably the phase adjustment).

I don't know about the new modes, but there are three preset "game" settings that come with it: FPS1, FPS2 and RTS. There are three settings for you to save your own adjustments: Gamer1, Gamer2, and Gamer3. And there are the Standard and Movie settings. These all seem to be various color and gamma settings. I can't say much in particular about the color accuracy, because that isn't an area I'm all to familiar with, but compared to the VA panel (Seiki 4K) and the 8-bit TN (ROG Swift) I have, color seems noticeably inferior, but that's to be expected. It can't be any worse than the previous models, because they are the same panel, from what I understand.

kevin2428

Post by kevin2428 » 10 Nov 2014, 00:18

i was just sketched out since in the asus game mode the picture quality is so inferior which suggests that the monitor is actually not doing extra processing to make the picture quality better hence achieving i guess better performance. However, the benq picture still looks good. Which is by all means good haha but doesn't that mean its doing the extra processing to achieve that quality and therefore might negatively affect game input lag when compared to asus' game mode? Unless of course picture quality doesn't really affect that kind of stuff but then what would be the reason for a "game mode".

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Nov 2014, 00:21

Interesting. From your description, it looks identical to how the Z series looks with VT tweaks and strobe phase 0, or how the Z series looks in lightboost mode. Might consider picking one up. It's $400, so that's why I wanted to doublecheck to make 100% sure.....I already have a 2720Z....

Otherwise im just wasting cash :(

I just hope you're right about the accelerated scanout...

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 10 Nov 2014, 00:28

Falkentyne wrote:Interesting. From your description, it looks identical to how the Z series looks with VT tweaks and strobe phase 0, or how the Z series looks in lightboost mode. Might consider picking one up. It's $400, so that's why I wanted to doublecheck to make 100% sure.....I already have a 2720Z....

Otherwise im just wasting cash :(

I just hope you're right about the accelerated scanout...
Wish I could take a picture for you. It's very clear in the center. With the default "area" setting of 10, the crosstalk band is in the upper two lines. Increasing the value moves the band down.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 10 Nov 2014, 00:51

kevin2428 wrote:i was just sketched out since in the asus game mode the picture quality is so inferior which suggests that the monitor is actually not doing extra processing to make the picture quality better hence achieving i guess better performance. However, the benq picture still looks good. Which is by all means good haha but doesn't that mean its doing the extra processing to achieve that quality and therefore might negatively affect game input lag when compared to asus' game mode? Unless of course picture quality doesn't really affect that kind of stuff but then what would be the reason for a "game mode".
If you have a good camera, put the monitors side by side in "duplicate" mode and use the testUFO flicker test. I think you can get an input lag differential out of that.

kevin2428

Post by kevin2428 » 10 Nov 2014, 01:05

will do thanks. btw im guessing an iphone 5 camera will be enough? lol

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 10 Nov 2014, 01:14

kevin2428 wrote:will do thanks. btw im guessing an iphone 5 camera will be enough? lol
I don't know. It has to be fast to be able to determine a ms difference if such exists. However, if one is significantly faster than the other it will show up I expect. FWIW, BenQ Instant Mode seems quite fast to me. I'm noticeably better with it on.