Best way to test display lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
nimbulan

Best way to test display lag?

Post by nimbulan » 12 Jan 2014, 16:19

I'd like to compare the display lag of my two monitors but am having difficulty finding a program to do so. My main issue is that I do not have a CRT to test with, the monitors have different native resolutions and since timing programs seem to require you to use display cloning, I am concerned that running one at a non-native resolution will skew the results. I ran across a really promising program called SMTT but it is paid only and currently not for sale. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best way to test display lag?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Jan 2014, 18:49

nimbulan wrote:I'd like to compare the display lag of my two monitors but am having difficulty finding a program to do so. My main issue is that I do not have a CRT to test with, the monitors have different native resolutions and since timing programs seem to require you to use display cloning, I am concerned that running one at a non-native resolution will skew the results. I ran across a really promising program called SMTT but it is paid only and currently not for sale. Does anyone have any suggestions?
SMTT requires a CRT.

I have a hardware solution coming, keep tuned.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 12 Jan 2014, 19:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:SMTT requires a CRT.

I have a hardware solution coming, keep tuned.
I don't need to directly test the absolute display lag, I just want to see the difference in lag between the VG248QE and my old monitor.

SS4

Post by SS4 » 13 Jan 2014, 04:12

Well, at 144hz the VG248QE has the lowest input lag of all monitors currently available according to multiple websites. Want links to some hard numbers?

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 13 Jan 2014, 07:11

Even if your both monitors handle 120hz then you will get ~8.33ms accuracy.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Jan 2014, 07:24

Well, you can try the dumb method. Use two identical computers, with identical settings, with two identical mice, glue those mice together, then move windows around is see if one monitor seems to lag behind.

The setup would look rather funny :-D

Edit:
Maybe you can get away with just one computer, but with two identical mice. Each mouse will give you a different cursor, and you are not required to operate the displays in clone mode. Still, you'll have to glue the mice together.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 13 Jan 2014, 11:29

RealNC wrote:Well, you can try the dumb method. Use two identical computers, with identical settings, with two identical mice, glue those mice together, then move windows around is see if one monitor seems to lag behind.

The setup would look rather funny :-D

Edit:
Maybe you can get away with just one computer, but with two identical mice. Each mouse will give you a different cursor, and you are not required to operate the displays in clone mode. Still, you'll have to glue the mice together.
Unless you're using some sort of special program you only get one cursor no matter how many mice you connect.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 13 Jan 2014, 14:00

SS4 wrote:Well, at 144hz the VG248QE has the lowest input lag of all monitors currently available according to multiple websites. Want links to some hard numbers?
I am fully aware of this. I just want to determine the relative speed of my old monitor to see what sort of lag I've been dealing with for years.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 13 Jan 2014, 14:27

SS4 wrote:Well, at 144hz the VG248QE has the lowest input lag of all monitors currently available according to multiple websites. Want links to some hard numbers?
All monitors or all LCDs?

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

SS4

Post by SS4 » 13 Jan 2014, 15:26

Yeah all LCDs since CRT have no input lag :P