Do we all agree on vsync?(about frame pacing)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
war1

Do we all agree on vsync?(about frame pacing)

Post by war1 » 08 Dec 2014, 05:41

So, i was curious, do we all agree that vsync is a workaround for tearing, and that most of us would rather play with tearing than deal with measurable input lag? yes?

Why is it then that we do NOT agree on frame pacing as a work around for slight stuttering adding variable input lag dependent on THEORETICALLY stable fps, being forced ALWAYS ON, is just as bad an idea? Is it ignorance on the subject? is it the test that show stationary -> first movement showing no input lag(various tests, including recently done tests by noacc on esreality) undermines the real cause, and the ppl affected.

The fact that not all configurations are as affected as others, but some get the full bs of having to deal with frame pacing interfering even at limited fps aka 125fps etc?

An ON/OFF switch would be the definitive workaround as we do have on VSYNC, since most ppl know how vsync works, some make the choice(most) to not use it. Why not on frame pacing is my big problem.
Taken from esreality, I can prove frame pacing is always on, on my current setup. Windows xp, stalker cop with variable framerate 50-100 gives me oldschool stutter, which is bad, yes, but mouse is snappy nonetheless. Windows 7, same game and variable framerate gives not stutter, but HUGE mouse smoothing, making it really unplayable. Limiting framerate to 35fps with nvidia inspector gives most of the crisp mousefeel back(should in any case)

Can i record this behavior with software, or do i need a camera pointed at screen?
Last edited by war1 on 08 Dec 2014, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Do we all agree on vsync?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Dec 2014, 09:35

original poster wrote:So, i was curious, do we all agree that vsync is a workaround for tearing, and that most of us would rather play with tearing than deal with measurable input lag? yes?
True -- though I must point out for solo gameplay, is not as simple as just tearing. VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF also affects microstutter mechanics too. This can be very important for game emulators, or any game that uses ultrasmooth scrolling such as TestUFO. Lots of emulators stutter more with VSYNC OFF, for example. For competitive play, we prefer to not deal with input lag. However, some of us love the image quality of supersmooth motion (e.g. GTX Titan with solo gameplay in Bioshock Infinite, 100fps@100Hz, with blur reduction strobing (ala LightBoost clones) with zero stutters and zero tearing -- looks very pretty when sliding very fast on the aerial rails.
original poster wrote:Why is it then that we do NOT agree on frame pacing as a work around for slight stuttering adding variable input lag dependent on THEORETICALLY stable fps, being forced ALWAYS ON, is just as bad an idea? Is it ignorance on the subject? is it the test that show stationary -> first movement showing no input lag(various tests, including recently done tests by noacc on esreality) undermines the real cause, and the ppl affected.
I believe it "depends". Frame pacing sometimes the lesser of evil (add lag for predictability) or the worse of evil (predictability doesn't improve enough to compensate for lag). This equation appears to changes based on how powerful your GPU is, which game you play, and what refresh rate you are running at. The lag compromise is much smaller in some situations, than others. So for some people, frame pacing can become the lesser of evil, because predictability can make it easier to aim (instead of more stuttery, erratic-aiming at only insignificantly less lag). The (semi-rheoretical) question is really -- how big is the tradeoff?
original poster wrote:
war1 wrote:An ON/OFF switch would be the definitive workaround as we do have on VSYNC, since most ppl know how vsync works, some make the choice(most) to not use it. Why not on frame pacing is my big problem.
Taken from esreality, I can prove frame pacing is always on, on my current setup. Windows xp, stalker cop with variable framerate 50-100 gives me oldschool stutter, which is bad, yes, but mouse is snappy nonetheless. Windows 7, same game and variable framerate gives not stutter, but HUGE mouse smoothing, making it really unplayable. Limiting framerate to 35fps with nvidia inspector gives most of the crisp mousefeel back(should in any case)
If you see less stutter and no tearing, then under Windows 7 you may be running in full screen windowed mode which is actually Windows compositing in action (triple buffering effect). One method of solving this is to enable/disable the mouse raw input mode (google "enable mouse raw input windows 7") but several seem to have been able to do tweaks and workarounds to get a similar mousefeel they did under Windows 7.

On a related (but not exactly same subject), it is observed for many games that have massively variable-framerate situations (framerate fluctuates massively), then you may wish to try out a 500Hz or 1000Hz setting, because it creates less aliasing-effects (beat frequency effects = mouse jitteriness/mouse stutter) between the frequency of the pollrate and the frequency of the framerate. This is highlighted in the Blur Busters Mouse Guide, however, there are situations where 125Hz works really well (especially games like Quake Live). For example, 125Hz pollrate at 40fps, can create approximately three major mouse-induced microstutters a second (120 / 4 = 3). This might actually be the lesser of evil, if your mouse has unacceptable 'filtering' effects at 500Hz or 1000Hz, or becomes a lot less accurate at the high poll rate (can be helped with a better 500Hz or 1000Hz mouse) or can't track fast enough during a 180 degree fast flick (ditto). But in general, when playing games with massively-varying framerates (e.g. 30fps->150fps->70fps->100fps), using an ultrahigh poll rate can feel far more 'locked in' than using 125Hz. On the other hand if you're playing Quake Live at 125fps locked, then 125Hz may actually end up superior, as it would feel very brisk and locked-in.

Also, the high pollrate is also recommended if you're using high refresh rates or motion-improving technologies (120Hz+, or strobing, or GSYNC) since the stuttery-feel of 125Hz poll rate becomes much more apparent with "Better Than 60Hz" technologies...
war1 wrote:Can i record this behavior with software, or do i need a camera pointed at screen?
Tools to analyze mouse feel in a lab-quality way, would be lovely.
A lot of feel is subjective, but the numbers would be very interesting whenever things lagged or got artificailly smoothed.
High speed video can be very helpful.

I wonder if someone, could perhaps invent a test: to measure the accuracy/variability of mouse report in a "button-to-eyeballs" manner that is also measurable via high speed camera (Much like I did for my GSYNC input lag tests). Maybe someone may need to find a way to measure mouse position reports quickly onto a zero-lag display (e.g. LED indicators or a 1000Hz union-jack numeric readout created out of an electronics circuit connected to, say, signal lines of a parallel printer port PCI card), so one can corroborate the mouse reports on a readout (<1ms lag), versus the actual mouse report occuring on the screen (variable lag).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

war1

Post by war1 » 08 Dec 2014, 10:01

Just to set it straight, yes, variable frame rate is bad in any case, and i would always limit frame rate to lowest, depending on how much it fluctuates, and what game i play.

If i get you right, is it still composition lagging mouse in stalker even when i disabled it in performance and visibility options on windows 7? im using classic theme, because i DON'T want hardware accelerated drawing of 2d? Or is it in fact frame pacing? (edit: its a 1000hz mouse)

i get that doing all the frame pacing and whatnot to minimize stutter is prob a fair trade in the long run, but right now, the technology behind it is still messing with input when it should not, and creating a worse experience, at least for some configurations, than oldschool stutter here and there, which is totally livable compared to average or fluctuations in mouse feel/input lag(since measuring it from a stand still -> movement is proven to be very low, proving why this is so bad seems ever so elusive/really hard)

Im simply hoping nvidia will soon give us an on/off option, just like vsync. Would there be any harm in that? i can't imagine with all the great work on compatibility, it would be very hard to do.

Im just not sure hoping will do it, we need ppl asking for it.

EDIT: O.K, i just did testing on an ATI card, same frame rate fluctuations, but MUCH crisper mouse, and Lots of stutter, just as it's supposed to be. Nvidia definitely has frame pacing always on, which on some configurations are worse than others maybe. We need an OFF option :/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Dec 2014, 11:37

war1 wrote:If i get you right, is it still composition lagging mouse in stalker even when i disabled it in performance and visibility options on windows 7? im using classic theme, because i DON'T want hardware accelerated drawing of 2d? Or is it in fact frame pacing? (edit: its a 1000hz mouse)
Hmmm, based on the new info. Not sure.
Have you filled around with mouse raw input settings too?
war1 wrote:EDIT: O.K, i just did testing on an ATI card, same frame rate fluctuations, but MUCH crisper mouse, and Lots of stutter, just as it's supposed to be. Nvidia definitely has frame pacing always on, which on some configurations are worse than others maybe. We need an OFF option :/
This probably is it -- framepacing that's always on.
I agree with you here. I like frame pacing, but I agree it needs to be toggleable. The added lag and mousefeel interference can be a problem when it comes to competitive gameplay -- so count me in (even if I would only use it for uber-competitive situations myself). I am more of a solo player at the moment these days.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

war1

Post by war1 » 08 Dec 2014, 12:02

Ok, you're gonna like this, i can record with 120fps an no limiter, i have footage of AT I done, with stutter and fluctuating frame rate, tried to do stuff like tracking objects to show the crisp feel. It stutters like shit becuase no frame pacing like olschool days, but at least mouse is SUPER CRISP no matter the frame rate.

I'll test nvidia now, and show why i think frame pacing is such a deal breaker
Last edited by war1 on 08 Dec 2014, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

war1

Post by war1 » 08 Dec 2014, 15:02

I couldn't get the visual effect when recording, but the added delay required by the smoothing was still very much in effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHTZG6RSqd4

nuninho1980

Re: Do we all agree on vsync?(about frame pacing)

Post by nuninho1980 » 08 Dec 2014, 15:11

Try need 60 fps (min 1280x720 or higher resolution screen) in youtube because only 35 fps.

Not sure... But... I have no any problems at VSYNC but no triple buffering. :P
CPU: [email protected]
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4@3600MHz
MB: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
GPU: Zotac RTX 4090 non-OC new! <3 :D
Opt. disc: LG BD-RE writer BH16NS40
HDD: SATA 1TB
SSDs: OCZ RD400 0.5TB+Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU: AEROCOOL 1kW 80+ Gold
Disly: CRT 21" Sony E530 :D

war1

Post by war1 » 08 Dec 2014, 15:22

nuninho1980 wrote:Try need 60 fps (min 1280x720 or higher resolution screen) in youtube because only 35 fps.

Not sure... But... I have no any problems at VSYNC but no triple buffering. :P
The point is not how many fps the video is, it was recorded at 120fps. You do not have to feel anything, only I did. Also, getting stable fps is not the problem :)

flood

Post by flood » 08 Dec 2014, 15:39

are you not playing with fullscreen?
this may be relevant:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1541

basically, when aero/compositing is off, nvidia maxwell cards (and probably kepler as well) aren't as responsive as fermi and pre-fermi.

war1

Post by war1 » 09 Dec 2014, 06:01

flood wrote:are you not playing with fullscreen?
this may be relevant:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1541

basically, when aero/compositing is off, nvidia maxwell cards (and probably kepler as well) aren't as responsive as fermi and pre-fermi.
yes it's fullscreen. Hmm, it's a pre-anything card i have, but i'll try messing around. I've heart about borderless-windows drawing of "fullscreen" games before, if that's what you mean?

I also tried looking into if stalker had raw input, it does not until Call of Pripyat, unfortunately :/

Funny thing still is, why do nvidia NEED raw input, but ATI does NOT?