CS:GO -- Does 2 milliseconds matter?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lexlazootin

Re: CS:GO -- Does 2 milliseconds matter?

Post by lexlazootin » 21 Dec 2014, 03:12

spacediver wrote:Here's a recent FFA of me in 60 fps (watch in chrome). Wasn't in a twitchy mood, so no crazy flicks, but some nice smooth railing. Will try to compile some flick shots soon :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wlTGmpKJHE
Quake is probably one of the most important games to have accurate equipment on because of how accurate the railgun is. there are defantly a few shots in there that if you had doggy equipment that was jumping by a few milliseconds for what ever reason, you probs would of missed. unlike csgo were the awp doesn't hit perfect centre even when not moving.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 21 Dec 2014, 03:47

this is exactly why I love quake so much. The precision and reliability of the game means that the potential skill barrier is astronomical, and you can practice it like a sport.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 30 Dec 2014, 11:48

I've been deep into CSGO for the last month or two, and let me tell you...

Milliseconds are everything. I really need a 1000fps camera so I can look at the kind of things I want to.

The AWP lets you quickscope, where you right click, and then left click faster than the scope can appear on your screen. Then, most people double tap Q to get out of the scope and reload your gun faster.

I've seen quickscopes that look like hip shots (usually due to 60hz or 24hz youtube) and I've seen people hit Q so fast the game registers it has a hip shot instead of a quickscope.

I have no idea what the delay in game is between right clicking and being scoped in, but it cant be more than 200ms, and I have a feeling it's more like 100. But people are consistantly clicking and FLICKING in that window between the right click and the scope coming up.

It would be interesting to measure the amount of time it takes to perform a quickscope in CSGO. I have a feeling it's frightenly fast, at least on the client side.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

flood

Post by flood » 30 Dec 2014, 14:43

you dont need a 1000fps camera and it woujldn't show you anything interesting for recording actual gameplay
just get msi afterburner or dxtory or something and record 100fps video

for accurate "quickscopes" in csgo you need to press m1 at least 0.2 seconds after m2

to see the accuracy, go into a local server, do
sv_cheats 1
give weapon_awp
cl_crosshairstyle 2 (change back afterwards
weapon_debug_showspread 1 (or whatever it's called.. i cant remember ri ght now)

you should see a yellow square around the crosshair. that tells you how accurate your shots will be. when you zoom, the accuracy approaches the final accuracy after around 0.2-0.3seconds

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 02 Jan 2015, 03:17

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:It would be interesting to measure the amount of time it takes to perform a quickscope in CSGO. I have a feeling it's frightenly fast, at least on the client side.
http://youtu.be/0mPLVp51SoA

I fling my mouse pretty much as fast as i can to a point were i can't really time the shot and it turn out to be much slower then i thought. maybe with a higher sens it would be faster but most pros have it this low. i don't think 10ms would make a differance, but i'm dying to try on a 144hz with a not crappy 30ms delay mouse.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 02 Jan 2015, 20:17

So, that's 142ms from thge start of the swipe to the shot?

Interesting. You have to remember, there are people playing against me with more ping than that. 142ms is pretty fast.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

flood

Post by flood » 02 Jan 2015, 23:56

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=diPonkYH0iU
someone figure out the timing of this shot

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 03 Jan 2015, 05:58

flood wrote:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=diPonkYH0iU
someone figure out the timing of this shot
The demo for that POV was deleted so i tryed to find one close too that, and found one by ChrisJ...

http://youtu.be/0ydTR9esVZ8

too bad that HLTV 30tick is useless... the shot fires way before the mouse movement. also note that the bullet hits the wall too the right of him.... lel :lol:

so i found another clip of ChrisJ POV view that shows him killing two people. Although not MLG quick scopes, it does show how fast he takes his shots (From the moment he "Sees" him, to the moment he shoots.). much better timings :)

http://youtu.be/tQd8OKqnpSc

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 03 Jan 2015, 21:11

RealNC wrote: I'm on a GTX 780, which isn't *that* much slower compared to a Titan. The problem is that the 150-ish FPS it gives with single-core rendering is not useful, since it's a best-case. The minimum FPS can drop down to 60 in many situations, and the GPU isn't even getting used at all when that happens. In those situations, the bottleneck is the CPU, which seems to be the reason why enabling multicore rendering gives such a huge performance boost in this game. I can drop the graphics quality settings down to minimum and it doesn't help a bit in those situations.

This game is quite light on GPU usage (most maps are very well hand-optimized, using manually placed visleafs, where stuff that you don't see isn't even considered for rendering,) which means that uncapped frame rates will be CPU bottlenecked at some point, especially since the network engine also eats up quite a bit of CPU.

If you fall below 128FPS, your hit registration is going to suffer, unless you're playing on servers with a tick rate of 64. This is much, much worse than multicore rendering's slightly higher input lag. Consider that an AWP flick-shot is in the ballpark of 2-3ms. This is a muscle-memory reflex, where times are really that low. In many occasions, 60FPS Twitch.tv broadcasts of top-level tournaments are not even able to capture these shots.
And what about BBR\LightBoost that took several times more than 2 milliseconds?

harrwang38

Post by harrwang38 » 03 Feb 2015, 19:25

Hello guys, after getting back into CS GO and being a min/maxer I have experimented with a lot of settings to make the game look better/feel better to play in I can with 100% say that input lag is a HUGE deal in CS GO. It is just as important to having a 144hz/blur reduction capable monitor.

I don't any scientific findings, just hours of testing with different settings and playing in high ranked MMR matches (I'm currently supreme master). You want to have the lowest input lag possible while still maintaining good graphics. Currently I play with everything on LOW except for shadows which is on the highest possible setting. AA adds way to much input lag to even use for such a miniscule increase in visibility (it makes it so you can see through fences a LITTLE bit easier, it is not much). Not to mention it makes everything a little bit blurrier.

I also use sweetfx which is pretty much a must for CS GO. It's way better then digital vibrance/saturation and also provides lumasharpening which makes everything further easier to spot enemies. I messed around with a LOT of sweetfx settings and even though SMAA and HDR made the game look so much better, these 2 settings create HUGE amounts of input lag and made me play A LOT worst. It was simply not worth it.

I play with blur reduction on also over 144hz. Blur reduction mode lets you make shots that no one else in the game unless they have BR/lightboost on also seem impossible. It's simply that good. I hardly feel any more input lag when having this setting on over 144hz.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions. I'm just a very competitive gamer that likes to have the best possible setting in video games. I love to mess around with these things!

PS: I haven't tried the single core rendering yet as I just came back to this website. I'll test it out and come back with my findings!