Inherent click delay found in mice.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Sparky

Re: Inherent click delay found in mice.

Post by Sparky » 03 Jan 2015, 22:54

So, I reconfigured my arduino micro to use all 4 interrupt pins(two per throw), and gathered some data. Here's an example of a single "normal" click:

http://pastebin.com/8n9zFHCV

big number = microsecond timer.

0= rising edge on normally high throw = definitely released
1= falling edge on normally high throw
2= falling edge on normally low throw
3= rising edge on normally low throw = definitely pressed

One thing to note is that there are definitely some transitions that were missed, because they happened too quickly to actually handle them all. If you want me to check something else, or have a good way to look at the data for many clicks, let me know.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Jan 2015, 04:50

Open source mouse please :D

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 04 Jan 2015, 08:08

lexlazootin wrote:Open source mouse please :D
I've had that idea, but there are a lot of things that require capital, like all the injection molding, and getting access to a lot of different sensors and surfaces for testing. Know someone with a huge variety of mice to frankenstein together?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 04 Jan 2015, 11:24

Sparky wrote:
I've had that idea, but there are a lot of things that require capital, like all the injection molding, and getting access to a lot of different sensors and surfaces for testing. Know someone with a huge variety of mice to frankenstein together?
Pretty ignorant, but is it actually possible to unsolder the sensor and putting it on your own board/arduino? that would be pretty fucking incredible. :shock:

would buy $200

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 04 Jan 2015, 13:32

lexlazootin wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Pretty ignorant, but is it actually possible to unsolder the sensor and putting it on your own board/arduino? that would be pretty fucking incredible. :shock:

would buy $200
Yes, that's possible, though not the preferred way to obtain sensor samples. May be easier to reprogram the mouse's microcontroller, if you only want 1.

flood

Post by flood » 04 Jan 2015, 19:03

was just trying a g302's buttons. they feel really nice; the actuation is really close to the top and there's no mushiness
and got my lowest ever average on humanbenchmark.

http://i.imgur.com/APuhjS3.png

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 04 Jan 2015, 19:36

flood wrote:was just trying a g302's buttons. they feel really nice; the actuation is really close to the top and there's no mushiness
and got my lowest ever average on humanbenchmark.

http://i.imgur.com/APuhjS3.png

impressive. were you highly caffeinated? or in a deep meditative state?

flood

Post by flood » 04 Jan 2015, 20:30

nope but i tried a few times to make sure i had none >170ms :p
anyway i think the "clickiness" of the mouse could affect our response time by maybe up to 10ms. simply because in some mice more physical movement is needed to click the button.

too bad the g302's shape is retarded

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 04 Jan 2015, 22:44

flood wrote:nope but i tried a few times to make sure i had none >170ms :p
anyway i think the "clickiness" of the mouse could affect our response time by maybe up to 10ms. simply because in some mice more physical movement is needed to click the button.

too bad the g302's shape is retarded
I was curious how accurate those web tests were, so I set the arduino up to measure reaction time(just had to hook up a LED and randomize it to light up after 1~5 seconds). Turns out my reaction time is garbage either way, median of about 250 on the web test, 205 on the arduino. Is reaction time something that improves with training, or is it more intrinsic?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 05 Jan 2015, 00:55

flood wrote:too bad the g302's shape is retarded
I was going to get one, what mice do you use or like the shape of? palm or claw?