Inherent click delay found in mice.

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
flood

Re: Inherent click delay found in mice.

Post by flood » 05 Jan 2015, 12:12

lexlazootin wrote:
flood wrote:too bad the g302's shape is retarded
I was going to get one, what mice do you use or like the shape of? palm or claw?
g100s; using ninox aurora now. used to use logitech g3
i dont think palm/claw is a black and white thing... and i dont think that it even matters
Sparky wrote:
flood wrote:nope but i tried a few times to make sure i had none >170ms :p
anyway i think the "clickiness" of the mouse could affect our response time by maybe up to 10ms. simply because in some mice more physical movement is needed to click the button.

too bad the g302's shape is retarded
I was curious how accurate those web tests were, so I set the arduino up to measure reaction time(just had to hook up a LED and randomize it to light up after 1~5 seconds). Turns out my reaction time is garbage either way, median of about 250 on the web test, 205 on the arduino. Is reaction time something that improves with training, or is it more intrinsic?
no idea to be honest but if you have windows aero off it's fairly accurate (<10ms) i believe

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Jan 2015, 07:33

I got my g302 and I improved in the humanbenchmark test a lot...

#HumbleBrag #lovinLife

Man, I wish a had a crt or a 144hz monitor. :lol:

flood

Post by flood » 29 Jan 2015, 15:07

177 with aero on at 60hz is pretty ridiculous

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 23 Mar 2015, 16:52

It's pretty interesting that the response time of mouse clicks can vary so much. But the part I find most interesting is that the most popular mice with pro gamers are far from the most responsive, whereas Logitech mice which are generally ignored in pro gaming in my experience are all frontrunners. I would expect to see pros using different mice if they are really as sensitive as they say to input lag.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 23 Mar 2015, 17:21

nimbulan wrote:It's pretty interesting that the response time of mouse clicks can vary so much. But the part I find most interesting is that the most popular mice with pro gamers are far from the most responsive, whereas Logitech mice which are generally ignored in pro gaming in my experience are all frontrunners. I would expect to see pros using different mice if they are really as sensitive as they say to input lag.
I also find it interesting. Most pro gamers don't have nearly the expertise in gaming hardware and settings as many people believe they do. A lot of them are also required to use sponsored equipment that often isn't that great. But plenty of kids buy exactly what the pros have and use their exact settings thinking they're using the best equipment and settings in hopes to become pro gamers.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 23 Mar 2015, 17:42

sharknice wrote:
nimbulan wrote:It's pretty interesting that the response time of mouse clicks can vary so much. But the part I find most interesting is that the most popular mice with pro gamers are far from the most responsive, whereas Logitech mice which are generally ignored in pro gaming in my experience are all frontrunners. I would expect to see pros using different mice if they are really as sensitive as they say to input lag.
I also find it interesting. Most pro gamers don't have nearly the expertise in gaming hardware and settings as many people believe they do. A lot of them are also required to use sponsored equipment that often isn't that great. But plenty of kids buy exactly what the pros have and use their exact settings thinking they're using the best equipment and settings in hopes to become pro gamers.
That's exactly why I don't take pro gamer equipment and game settings very seriously. Hearing about people turning their mice down to 400 dpi "because the pros do it" makes me cringe.

wheeler9691

Post by wheeler9691 » 24 Apr 2015, 16:00

Most people use lower DPI settings because they are factually and objectively better at tracking. I cringe equally hard when I see someone using DPI switching buttons on their mouse in game.

flood

Post by flood » 24 Apr 2015, 20:18

true for some mice but i believe most modern mice have a "base dpi" of 800 though, which means there's really no reason to use 400 in 3d games.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 26 Apr 2015, 23:08

flood wrote:true for some mice but i believe most modern mice have a "base dpi" of 800 though, which means there's really no reason to use 400 in 3d games.
This is exactly it. The most accurate DPI is the native DPI of the mouse's sensor, not just that lower is better or that 400 is the best. Many mice also have multiple native DPI's. I believe mine does 800 and 3200, though 3200 is way too fast for desktop use without adjusting the OS mouse speed which will negatively impact accuracy. Using 1/2 of a native DPI as 400 is to a native 800 is about the best accuracy you can get using a non-native DPI but it's not optimal.

Anyway...my point was that people blindly copying pros without understanding the reasons they use these settings is a bad thing.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 27 Apr 2015, 00:47

is there a surefire way to figure out the native dpi of a mouse/sensor?