Samsung S23a700D - Real Bad lag or OK for price?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Krypton

Samsung S23a700D - Real Bad lag or OK for price?

Post by Krypton » 28 Dec 2014, 17:47

So I got one of these 120hz monitors for $150. I currently am on an Acer h226hql, but it is an IPS panel. The Samsung is 120hz, and I will mainly use it for Competitive Counter Strike gaming. I get 300 fps so getting120hz is no problem, but I'm worried the input lag will be super bad and cause just bad problems. My mouse will be a Zowie FK1 and I'll obviously be using the dual link DVI. I don't think the input lag will be very noticeable personally but can anyone give me an idea? Also, I know the strobing removes blur but also provides a lot of lag, so I'll have to avoid that.

PoWn3d_0704

Re: Samsung S23a700D - Real Bad lag or OK for price?

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 28 Dec 2014, 19:11

Input lag?

The 120hz monitor will have MUCH less input lag than the IPS. IPS displays are pretty, but slow.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

Krypton

Post by Krypton » 28 Dec 2014, 21:10

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Input lag?

The 120hz monitor will have MUCH less input lag than the IPS. IPS displays are pretty, but slow.
Thanks for replying. I am aware the TN panels are superior in that category, But I also saw a lot of posts saying the Samsung actually suffered around 12 ms or so of input lag. Can I even perceive that?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Dec 2014, 21:51

Krypton wrote:

Thanks for replying. I am aware the TN panels are superior in that category, But I also saw a lot of posts saying the Samsung actually suffered around 12 ms or so of input lag. Can I even perceive that?
There is much lag on the Samsung than almost any 60Hz display.

That said, there is more lag in the Samsung (especially when you eliminate motion blur via the Samsung Zero Motion Blur Trick) than most other 120Hz monitors by ASUS/BENQ in the Official List Of 120Hz+ Monitors.

You got a very good price for a 120Hz monitor. Most 120Hz monitors are not available for less than 250 bucks.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Krypton

Post by Krypton » 28 Dec 2014, 22:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Krypton wrote:

There is much lag on the Samsung than almost any 60Hz display.

That said, there is more lag in the Samsung (especially when you eliminate motion blur via the Samsung Zero Motion Blur Trick) than most other 120Hz monitors by ASUS/BENQ in the Official List Of 120Hz+ Monitors.

You got a very good price for a 120Hz monitor. Most 120Hz monitors are not available for less than 250 bucks.
The first part of your post says there is much lag than any 60hz..is that a typo or is there actually way more lag on here than even 60hz ones. Also do you think I will notice it terribly bad or should I see an improvement rather

maniacza

Post by maniacza » 29 Dec 2014, 10:28

I play a lot of high level competitive CS:GO and I have the S23A700D. Using the blur reduction thing for this screen by enabling the frame sequential mode or whatever does introduce quite a bit of input lag. It's too much for me, I just use it without that and to be honest the difference isn't all that much. For other games the input lag doesn't really matter too much, just CS:GO that I can notice it.

What you want is the 120hz, that makes all the difference. I've played on ASUS and BenQ 144hz screens and while they are slightly nicer for CS:GO, if you can manage to get a bargain deal on the Samsung then I'd say it's worth it. That's pretty much what I did and I don't regret it.

So basically yes I'd get it for a cheap price, but the built in blur reduction feature adds too much input lag for CS:GO. But it's still awesome for CS:GO because of the 120hz, well relative to a 60hz screen.

flood

Post by flood » 29 Dec 2014, 12:35

5 seconds on google tells me it's about 10ms

which is about what the fg2421 has

which has been used in several top level lan events without issues

idk its not ideal but you can live with it for sure

Krypton

Post by Krypton » 29 Dec 2014, 15:19

UPDATE: I have received the Monitor, and I am amazed at the difference and clearness in it. There is NO detectable input lag, and the colors are very very easy on my eyes. Very Pleased. One thing I noticed is that in CS:GO, crappy weapons are now MUCh easier to use. After about 7 minutes of warmup I played deathmatch with the Galil...went 14-5 with 6 asists even though I was only in game for 3 minutes. Incredible.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 29 Dec 2014, 17:08

Lag is caused by more than just the panel route and refresh rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krypton

Post by Krypton » 29 Dec 2014, 21:27

Black Octagon wrote:

Lag is caused by more than just the panel route and refresh rate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah either way I cannot detect any input lag at all. Either in Arma nor CSGO. I was able to accurately snap shots and hit targets without there being a problem.