Nvidia or AMD for competitive gaming ?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ecay

Re: Nvidia or AMD for competitive gaming ?

Post by ecay » 15 Feb 2015, 02:39

HD4600 can get 160 fps at cs go 1024x768 all low setting but the main problem HD4600 doesnt support 144 HZ with DVI-D at 1920x1080.It unofficially supports 144 Hz with displayport connection.So custom resolution will not work wit DVI-D.It might work DP to Dual DVI active dongle but this solution expensive and unnecessary.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 15 Feb 2015, 03:20

ecay wrote:HD4600 can get 160 fps at cs go 1024x768 all low setting but the main problem HD4600 doesnt support 144 HZ with DVI-D at 1920x1080.It unofficially supports 144 Hz with displayport connection.So custom resolution will not work wit DVI-D.It might work DP to Dual DVI active dongle but this solution expensive and unnecessary.
but you will be the coolest kid on the block.

gold

Post by gold » 24 Feb 2015, 14:37

yo ecay,

Heres my story Was lurking on this form mid 2014 then after all little suggested tweaks via flood and roach got csgo to what i thought was best possible settings, jumped 3 ranks instantly then I got my hand on a MSI z87-GD65 for dirt cheap (switched from the cheapest z87 gigabyte mobo) everything was exactly the same besides the mobo and i have applied all the same settings. yet my system feels sluggish. and now im back on blurbusters

good for 3-4 months - mine was a return item... ?!

I really think its the mobo but ive been too busy to switch back
I have tried switching the e2200 to the Athero AR8161, minimal improvement
Im on Display full screen 1280x960
MM Severs have been trash for the past few months (worst than usual)

keep me updated on your findings!

ecay

Post by ecay » 26 Feb 2015, 06:47

Thank you for your reply @gold :)

casedistorted

Post by casedistorted » 26 Feb 2015, 20:39

I had an AMD card for years and years and was always disappointed with the Control Panel options. I was glad when I went back to Nvidia and had their constant driver updates and massive amounts of options. It seems AMD doesn't like to update their older cards but once in a blue moon. I still haven't decided which one though I want to get for my next GPU, probably Nvidia though because of their support with drivers and things just working better overall imho.

MechaNImaL

Post by MechaNImaL » 24 Jun 2016, 22:53

Hey guys I know this post is old but was just searching for this as I noticed better input response with nvidia...

Ive always been an AMD fanboy but now Im thinking my next upgrade might be nvidia...

Right now I have an AMD and an Nvidia card in the same machine (friend gave me his old nvidia card). When I plug the monitor cable into the Nvidia card I instantly notice it feels better in windows. The difference visually is incredibly slight but makes a huge difference in how good it feels.

Although I am using the standard driver that windows gave me and also I have noticed more mouse lag between Win10 and Win7 before putting the extra nvidia card in. This may also be because of a driver problem. In win7 use an old AMD driver Catalyst v14.2 (i think) and in Win10 I downloaded the latest AMD Crimson driver with all the new features like VSR and the overclocking features removed.

Im gonna try updating the nvidia drivers now and see if theirs a difference. (since Paragon game just told me this driver has issues)

May it's just newer driver have too many features and things going on. I dont know too much about how driver work tbh but I can definitely notice the slightest difference in input lag. And the upgrade to win10 was a massive lag increase (massive in my terms most ppl dont notice it) witch is what started me down this road to find a solution.

Ive done a LOT of different things and reduced the input lag significantly in win10, but was still noticing an improvement when booting back into win7 with old drivers. And even then more difference when switching to nvidia. (still using default win7 nvidia driver)

So.. maybe my AMD fanboy days are over... not sure. I do miss the slightly sharper and more vibrant display of AMD but if I play better with Nvidia thats the way Im going.

I know this post is old but has anyone got a definitive answer yet before I fork out for my next upgrade?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 25 Jun 2016, 00:37

Hey guys I know this post is old but was just searching for this as I noticed better input response with nvidia...
Unless you have definitive proof that the input lag is lower on Nvidia than AMD it's pretty much all meaningless, expectation bias can travel a long way. Even if your case it is true, we don't know if you had something as silly as V-Sync set in your AMD driver and not your Nvidia's.

You can find people online saying Nvidia has more input lag than AMD, it's all silly unless you test it.