What can I infer from these results?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
YukonTrooper

What can I infer from these results?

Post by YukonTrooper » 03 Apr 2015, 18:53

I recently received the Acer XB270H monitor and I wanted to compare the input lag to an ASUS VG278HE. I used the stopwatch method in clone mode and I'm using Windows 8.1. I came up with some interesting results, and I'm wondering what, if anything, can be read into them.

- Using the web stopwatch, the clone source is 16ms slower than the cloned display
- Using the .exe stopwatch in full screen mode, the clone source is 10ms slower than the cloned display
- Which display is the clone source and which display is the clone does not affect results

Am I right in assuming the input lag is comparable between the two displays? I'm assuming v-sync behavior is being observed with the web app. It's interesting that the clone source becomes the slower display.

flood

Re: What can I infer from these results?

Post by flood » 05 Apr 2015, 00:13

stopwatch methods are pretty inaccurate for computer displays.
i'd just trust reviews from prad or tftcentral. iirc xb270hu has basically no input lag and vg2478he has a few ms

they should both be fine.

YukonTrooper

Post by YukonTrooper » 05 Apr 2015, 19:40

Yes, the stopwatch methods are inaccurate, but I thought there might be enough data there to come to some general conclusion.

It's the 1080p 27" TN XB270H, not the XB270HU.

flood

Post by flood » 05 Apr 2015, 20:20

well it depends on what you're looking for, but yes it can be used to determine if a monitor has less lag than the other if you take several pictures and swap the source/clone configuration for the monitors and always see a consistent result.