1ms 60Hz monitor vs 1ms 120Hz monitor

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Irlwizard

1ms 60Hz monitor vs 1ms 120Hz monitor

Post by Irlwizard » 09 Jun 2015, 21:29

Is there a difference on input lag? What difference does it have to the overall experience apart from more FPS.

What I'm more interested in is there going to be a reaction time or ghosting difference between a 4ms 60Hz vs 4ms 120Hz display. Screw TN I'm waiting for a good VN release. But how would I calculate the hypothetical difference between a two VN panels '4ms 60Hz vs 4ms 120Hz' in a FPS like CS:GO?

Also what would be the main difference between like 4ms 120Hz vs 1ms 120Hz? If you are FPS capped on both.

Sparky

Re: 1ms 60Hz monitor vs 1ms 120Hz monitor

Post by Sparky » 09 Jun 2015, 21:54

The 120hz monitor will generally have lower input lag, and the "1ms" probably isn't input lag, it's more likely GTG pixel response. My "2ms" LCD has an input lag about 6ms slower than a CRT at the same refresh rate.

Basically, ignore anything the manufacturer tells you about input lag, and find a review for that monitor where input lag is actually measured.

Irlwizard

Re: 1ms 60Hz monitor vs 1ms 120Hz monitor

Post by Irlwizard » 09 Jun 2015, 22:07

Sparky wrote:The 120hz monitor will generally have lower input lag, and the "1ms" probably isn't input lag, it's more likely GTG pixel response. My "2ms" LCD has an input lag about 6ms slower than a CRT at the same refresh rate.

Basically, ignore anything the manufacturer tells you about input lag, and find a review for that monitor where input lag is actually measured.
Yeah I like tftcentral reviews - but what about when you can't find reviews?

The guy from tft usually only reviews one monitor for each category e.g. one Gsync monitor that is 24" then one that is 27" so I can't tell what the best Gsync 24" monitor is. I'm not after Gsync anymore anyway it is too expensive and the fact that you can't run it in windowed mode ruins it for me. I don't know if they will add that feature as a firmware update or if you have to buy Gsync 2.0 (new monitor), something I would find unacceptable after paying $500+

Btw what is the diff between the GTG and other ms? All review seem to talk about two different ms measurements GTG is usually 1-2ms and then you have the slow 5ms one for colours or something.

Edit: But basically what you are saying is that high Hz rate is most important. A monitor can be 120Hz and 8ms but that is still better than a 60Hz 1ms, correct? Because if that is the case monitor buying all comes down to panel hunting. I had a 27" BenQ VN panel that I liked but gave it away for being too large. However I did feel the colours were oversaturated and it needed calibration but the colours were dark and rich - very nice compared to IPS monitors that I have seen at shops. It was only about $300 I can find out the model number after talking to the person I gifted it to.