DVI-D vs DVI-I Input lag on MSI GTX 970?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Elfields

Re: DVI-D vs DVI-I Input lag on MSI GTX 970?

Post by Elfields » 03 Oct 2016, 21:31

RealNC wrote:Did you verify in your monitor's OSD that:

a) the connection is digital
b) it actually runs at high refresh rates and is not stuck at 60Hz
The monitor is an Asus VG248QE. Pretty sure it's strongly advertised that it's capable of running at 144hz. Plus, in my nvidia control panel, I am getting the option of 144hz.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 03 Oct 2016, 22:21

Elfields wrote:
Sparky wrote:Does the cable have the analog pins, or just the digital ones? Might try a digital only cable, to make sure there isn't a digital->analog->digital conversion going on.
What does the digitial only cable look like in terms of pins?
The analog pins are around a + shaped thing, on a dvi-d cable that + is just a - You can search for DVI pinout for pictures.

Anyway look for stuff like input selection and information in the OSD, or try a DVI-D cable.

Elfields

Post by Elfields » 04 Oct 2016, 11:18

Sparky wrote:
Elfields wrote:
Sparky wrote:Does the cable have the analog pins, or just the digital ones? Might try a digital only cable, to make sure there isn't a digital->analog->digital conversion going on.
The analog pins are around a + shaped thing, on a dvi-d cable that + is just a - You can search for DVI pinout for pictures.

Anyway look for stuff like input selection and information in the OSD, or try a DVI-D cable.
The cable I'm using is DVI-D. When I plug it into the bottom port which is DVI-D I notice lag of some sort. When I plug it into the port above, which is DVI-I, it seems more reactive and fast.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 04 Oct 2016, 11:31

Elfields wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Elfields wrote:

The cable I'm using is DVI-D. When I plug it into the bottom port which is DVI-D I notice lag of some sort. When I plug it into the port above, which is DVI-I, it seems more reactive and fast.
So the opposite of the other guy? Not sure what to say about that, there shouldn't be any difference. If you go into the osd ->system setup ->information, what does it say your refresh rate is?

Elfields

Post by Elfields » 05 Oct 2016, 12:49

Sparky,

No. The other guy reported the same issue but named his ports wrong (mixed them up). You can actually find evidence of him coming to that conclusion from a simple google search. He had the original post on multiple forum sites.

Just a reminder, and to clear some things up,:

-My cable is a DVI-D Cable. (all pins and dash sign).
-I am not having trouble running anything on 144hz. I have an asus vg248qe that outputs 144hz.
-When I plug in my cable to the bottom dvi port (which is a dvi-d dual link port), and run league of legends, the game looks ultra smooth and damn nice. However, it feels slow. like there is some kind of input lag or something. It actually affects my performance.
-When I plug in my cable to the top dvi port (which is a dvi-i dual link port), league of legends feels a lot more fast while playing, just a lot more reactive and crisp feeling.