CS:GO fps_max

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
navik111

CS:GO fps_max

Post by navik111 » 26 Apr 2016, 12:06

Hello, I have this monitor AOC G2460PG 144Hz with G-Sync. I like to know what is best for a monitor with 144Hz, because I read a lot but I can't deal a conclusion:
A) fps_max 300 //G-Sync OFF, default
B) fps_max 289 //G-Sync OFF, using formule (Hz * 2) + 1 No idea wtf is this formule XD
C) fps_max 143 //G-Sync OFF, cap to 143 + "0" = 144fps = 144Hz Best logic conf fps_max in my opinion
D) fps_max 0 //G-Sync OFF, no limit I guess this is useless and your GPU always at 100%
E) fps_max 150 //G-Sync OFF, seems like is 143 but someone said 150 is more "stable" xd
F) fps_max 140 //G-Sync ON

I can't find a difference in game with these... if someone know? :D

Thank you!

Sparky

Re: CS:GO fps_max

Post by Sparky » 26 Apr 2016, 13:23

If you're ever GPU limited you need a framerate cap. The best framerate cap to use would be just below your uncapped minimum framerate, whatever that happens to be(assuming no gsync/vsync/freesync).

fps_max 140 with GSYNC ON is the best option that eliminates tearing.

G-Sync off will cause tearing. Using a framerate cap that's close to a multiple of your refresh rate will cause those tears to either stay in the same place on screen or move up/down slowly. Same for a cap close to your refresh rate(like 143).

The difference in latency between all these options should be under 10ms, latency changes that small aren't generally obvious without a simultaneous comparison, but they can impact your performance, with reaction time and consistency being the main concerns.
Last edited by Sparky on 26 Apr 2016, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

navik111

Post by navik111 » 26 Apr 2016, 13:40

Sparky wrote:If you're ever GPU limited you need a framerate cap. The best framerate cap to use would be just below your uncapped minimum framerate, whatever that happens to be(assuming no gsync/vsync/freesync).

fps_max 140 with GSYNC ON is a good option that eliminates tearing.

G-Sync off will cause tearing. Using a framerate cap that's close to a multiple of your refresh rate will cause those tears to either stay in the same place on screen or move up/down slowly. Same for a cap close to your refresh rate(like 143).
So you explained me, the best option is F) fps_max 140 //G-Sync ON and second C) fps_max 143 //G-Sync OFF?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 26 Apr 2016, 13:47

navik111 wrote:
Sparky wrote:If you're ever GPU limited you need a framerate cap. The best framerate cap to use would be just below your uncapped minimum framerate, whatever that happens to be(assuming no gsync/vsync/freesync).

So you explained me, the best option is F) fps_max 140 //G-Sync ON and second C) fps_max 143 //G-Sync OFF?
143 gsync off is a bad option. You want to use the highest cap that never puts you in a gpu limited situation, provided you're not using G-sync.

navik111

Post by navik111 » 26 Apr 2016, 14:25

Sparky wrote:
navik111 wrote:

143 gsync off is a bad option. You want to use the highest cap that never puts you in a gpu limited situation, provided you're not using G-sync.
Oh I understand, but with G-sync OFF if your monitor has max 144Hz the normal is you can "see" until 144fps. If you don't cap you are squandering resources, in my opinion...

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 26 Apr 2016, 14:46

navik111 wrote:
Sparky wrote:
navik111 wrote:

Oh I understand, but with G-sync OFF if your monitor has max 144Hz the normal is you can "see" until 144fps. If you don't cap you are squandering resources, in my opinion...
If it's a question of latency, going from say 144 to 300fps will save about 4ms, and this is the Input Lag subforum.

navik111

Post by navik111 » 26 Apr 2016, 15:46

navik111 wrote:
Sparky wrote: Oh I understand, but with G-sync OFF if your monitor has max 144Hz the normal is you can "see" until 144fps. If you don't cap you are squandering resources, in my opinion...
If it's a question of latency, going from say 144 to 300fps will save about 4ms, and this is the Input Lag subforum.
Ah, right! So, if you have G-Sync ON use fps_max 140 If if not fps_max 300. Thank you @Sparky ;)

.kernel 0x000

Post by .kernel 0x000 » 15 May 2016, 15:37

All the pros use either fps_max 0 (uncaps fps) or fps_max 999 (caps it at 999 but no one can get that much so it's the same as 0)

Higher fps means less input lag. There is no reason to cap, if your fps are high enough you won't see screen tearing.

note: Valve games freak out if they get 1000 fps or more. The games become throttled to like 15 fps. So when playing Half Life 1 do 999.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 15 May 2016, 19:26

If you are GPU limited, a framerate cap will reduce input lag. If you are CPU limited, it won't. At high framerates(300+) the difference is too small to notice by feel, even for progamers(<10ms), but it can be the difference between a hit and a miss in some cases.