New device: GILT Game Input Lag Tester

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Glide

Re: New device: GILT Game Input Lag Tester

Post by Glide » 01 Oct 2016, 13:17

I would be very interested in something like this if it can measure latency in-game.
Measuring latency inside a test application is not that useful to me; that's only going to give results similar to the Bodnar lag tester. (though being resolution-independent is nice)

If it could send a signal like a left-mouse click to fire a gun and then measure when the screen flashes, that would be very useful, because then you would be able to measure the effects of various settings on latency. (V-Sync, Fast-Sync, G-Sync, Pre-rendered Frames, RTSS, Drive FPS cap etc.)

Oomek

Post by Oomek » 01 Oct 2016, 13:20

I found a V1 for cheap. Will buy and measure the latencies again properly.
Btw I'm thinking about adding a button to my tester and the LED. In the software you will have an option to assign a key stroke or a mouse button, so anyone curious about it's accuracy will be able to test it using a camera. What do you think about that additional idea?

Oomek

Post by Oomek » 01 Oct 2016, 13:24

Glide wrote:I would be very interested in something like this if it can measure latency in-game.
Measuring latency inside a test application is not that useful to me; that's only going to give results similar to the Bodnar lag tester. (though being resolution-independent is nice)

If it could send a signal like a left-mouse click to fire a gun and then measure when the screen flashes, that would be very useful, because then you would be able to measure the effects of various settings on latency. (V-Sync, Fast-Sync, G-Sync, Pre-rendered Frames, RTSS, Drive FPS cap etc.)
Not entirely true. It wil give precise results for every game which is configured as the application is. For example if your game is set up with vsync on+doublebuffer+1 prendered frame will give exact same result as my application.

Btw: games with 3 prerendered frames or more is just a bad coding. Triple buffering is a way to avoid /2 framerate drops if you cannot achieve constant framerate of your display.

Oomek

Post by Oomek » 01 Oct 2016, 13:32

Glide wrote: If it could send a signal like a left-mouse click to fire a gun and then measure when the screen flashes, that would be very useful, because then you would be able to measure the effects of various settings on latency. (V-Sync, Fast-Sync, G-Sync, Pre-rendered Frames, RTSS, Drive FPS cap etc.)
That would be possible with the addition of a button I mentioned in one of my prefious posts. The app could sit in the background measuring the brightness spikes. Will think about making the GILT as versatile as possible.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 01 Oct 2016, 13:36

Oomek wrote:That would be possible with the addition of a button I mentioned in one of my prefious posts. The app could sit in the background measuring the brightness spikes. Will think about making the GILT as versatile as possible.
Measuring lag with a camera sucks. This is a much better idea.

Oomek

Post by Oomek » 01 Oct 2016, 13:39

lexlazootin wrote:
Oomek wrote:That would be possible with the addition of a button I mentioned in one of my prefious posts. The app could sit in the background measuring the brightness spikes. Will think about making the GILT as versatile as possible.
Measuring lag with a camera sucks. This is a much better idea.
It doesn't if you use a 1000fps camera. For me It's just a way to validate the results. Personally I don't trust Leo Bodnar. As the admin explained in one of his posts, too many unknown variables.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 01 Oct 2016, 15:20

Oomek wrote:
Glide wrote: If it could send a signal like a left-mouse click to fire a gun and then measure when the screen flashes, that would be very useful, because then you would be able to measure the effects of various settings on latency. (V-Sync, Fast-Sync, G-Sync, Pre-rendered Frames, RTSS, Drive FPS cap etc.)
That would be possible with the addition of a button I mentioned in one of my prefious posts. The app could sit in the background measuring the brightness spikes. Will think about making the GILT as versatile as possible.
The method I used for in-game measurements was to have the test device register a large mouse movement, measure the delay from the USB ISR to the next rising edge in brightness, move the mouse back to where it was, push the measurement to the log, wait long enough for the serial data to clear, the screen to get dark again, and the photoresistor to settle down, then repeat.

In game, you set your self up so you're looking at the shadowed side of a building and the camera motion either puts you looking up at the sky or to the side into stuff illuminated by sunlight. Then you press the button, tweak your threshold if necessary, mark your data start point, and go get a snack while your monitor tries to give your chair a seizure.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 01 Oct 2016, 16:32

lexlazootin wrote:
Q83Ia7ta wrote:Nikon 1 V1 or J1. 1200fps record.
Logitech g100s (500Hz).
1000fps ioquuake3 and ofc vsync off.
Was that a CRT? what hz?
LCDs:
It's kinda inaccurate since LED doesn't light up immediately. I think it's bad LED or bad resistor choice. (made by mate).

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 01 Oct 2016, 16:41

lexlazootin wrote:Measuring lag with a camera sucks. This is a much better idea.
It's takes many time to search frames with start of transaction and these series Nikon records only 5 or 7 seconds. Because it records to RAM and dumps to SD after finish.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 01 Oct 2016, 16:46

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
lexlazootin wrote:
Q83Ia7ta wrote:Nikon 1 V1 or J1. 1200fps record.
Logitech g100s (500Hz).
1000fps ioquuake3 and ofc vsync off.
Was that a CRT? what hz?
LCDs:
It's kinda inaccurate since LED doesn't light up immediately. I think it's bad LED or bad resistor choice. (made by mate).
LED and resistor choice shouldn't matter much. What do you mean by not lighting up immediately? As in you can see physical movement of the button before the thing lights up? That would be caused by a combination of switch actuation point, the time it takes the switch contact to fly across the gap, and possibly bouncing, depending on how long your shutter is open.