144hz and stutter

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
knypol

144hz and stutter

Post by knypol » 29 Jan 2017, 10:20

HI,

I have a fast question: will i get stuttering if i set refresh to 144Hz but ingame i will get only 120fps with VSYNC OFF? On 75Hz monitor when i dip below 75fps stutter is obvious.

Sparky

Re: 144hz and stutter

Post by Sparky » 29 Jan 2017, 10:44

With vsync off you'll get tearing regardless of whether your framerate drops below refresh rate or not. I wouldn't call tearing stutter, but it can feel like stutter in some situations.

knypol

Post by knypol » 29 Jan 2017, 10:56

Tearing and stuttering are completelly different things...

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 29 Jan 2017, 11:50

"Stuttering" is a very vague/generic term for a lack of fluid animation, and is used by many people to refer to problems that can be described much more specifically.

The reason I zeroed in on tearing is because you were asking about the impact of refresh rate, and specified vsync off.

Now, with vsync off, the age of image data being displayed varies by 1/refresh rate + 1/framerate. That's the entire impact your refresh rate has on smoothness with vsync off.

With vsync on it's a different story, as you do actually get smoother animation when vsync is limiting your framerate, but that comes with a lot of input lag.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2017, 14:45

TestUFO animations using the [/testufo] tags to show difference between stuttering and tearing:

Stuttering

Tearing

Tearing & Stuttering at same time

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 29 Jan 2017, 15:08

Maybe my caffeine hasnt kicked in yet, but I'm looking at those animations at 60hz with blur reduction and I think I'm going to be sick...stuttering at such low framerates is bad.

BTW Chief please send me a PM

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Feb 2017, 14:23

knypol wrote:HI,

I have a fast question: will i get stuttering if i set refresh to 144Hz but ingame i will get only 120fps with VSYNC OFF? On 75Hz monitor when i dip below 75fps stutter is obvious.
Addressing original question.

In regards to stutter, you will still get stutter. But the stutter will be less at higher frame rates.

120fps @ 144Hz will have half-amplitude stutter as 60fps @ 72Hz. Meaning object edges will 'vibrate' at only half amplitude. And stutter can be high-frequency to blend as motion blur.

You need framerate matching refreshrate, for the most stutter-free motion. Stutters are often also beat-frequency effects between framerate and refresh rate. At 273fps@240Hz can still be noticeed by human eyes, since that's a 33Hz beat frequency (273 minus 240 equals 33). It'll be much less visible, though.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Glide

Post by Glide » 02 Feb 2017, 15:16

FYI embedding those tests on the page makes it unreadable in Safari on iOS (iPhone).
The page just keeps scrolling down.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Feb 2017, 15:39

Interesting. It doesn't happen on my iPhone or iPad (iOS 10.2). What model iPhone and version of iOS are you using? Older iPhones had problems with these due to RAM limitations, especially when there was more than 1 test embedded. I'll have to debug that.

Glide

Post by Glide » 03 Feb 2017, 14:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Interesting. It doesn't happen on my iPhone or iPad (iOS 10.2). What model iPhone and version of iOS are you using? Older iPhones had problems with these due to RAM limitations, especially when there was more than 1 test embedded. I'll have to debug that.
It's an iPhone 7 Plus running 10.2.1