NVIDIA may have implemented a synchronous framerate limiter

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
lexlazootin

Re: NVIDIA may have implemented a synchronous framerate limi

Post by lexlazootin » 11 Feb 2017, 22:52

Woops, you're right. I downloaded the newer one but it still doesn't feel very good. I'll do some latency tests when i get the camera back tomorrow.

I think we talk about this at one point. I think it was MasterTaco said that nQuake/ezQuake and GeDoSaTo had a predictive fps limit feature or what ever you want to call it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1043959

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Feb 2017, 00:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:I haven't studied RTSS closely, but:

Does RTSS use predictive waiting before input reads? To do just-in-time rendering before VSYNC?
I don't think so. It seems to use a fixed target (1000/framerate milliseconds.) It just blocks until at least that amount of time has passed since the last frame.

Although Jorimt's tests didn't specifically test for this, the "up to 1 frame of latency with vsync enabled" result should probably be interpreted as RTSS not doing prediction.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Bouttime

Post by Bouttime » 12 Feb 2017, 10:29

RealNC wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:I haven't studied RTSS closely, but:

Does RTSS use predictive waiting before input reads? To do just-in-time rendering before VSYNC?
I don't think so. It seems to use a fixed target (1000/framerate milliseconds.) It just blocks until at least that amount of time has passed since the last frame.

Although Jorimt's tests didn't specifically test for this, the "up to 1 frame of latency with vsync enabled" result should probably be interpreted as RTSS not doing prediction.
Jorimt's tests show that Gysnc + VSync with RTSS limiting FPS just below refresh rate is the best solution.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk