Creators Update Game Mode reduces input lag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
drmcninja

Re: Creators Update Game Mode reduces input lag

Post by drmcninja » 18 May 2017, 04:40

He says that component changes may have been responsible for the reduced input lag? Did he ever run this test again with the new computer?

I've read on reddit/r/overwatch that you should disable Game Mode, run Overwatch in Windows 7 compatibility mode, and check 'Disable Full Screen optimizations'. Is that legit advice?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 May 2017, 07:40

I don't see how that would be legit advice. These sound like random settings with no rhyme or reason.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Nocebo

Post by Nocebo » 16 Jul 2017, 14:45

So running in game mode does not lower input lag?

Im playing fullscreen vsync off in cs go.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Jul 2017, 15:08

I don't think game mode has anything to do with input lag. It's supposed to reduce freezes/hitching.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jul 2017, 08:58

Lag tests by multiple parties have shown Game Mode (at least in exclusive full screen mode) doesn't have lag improvement.

However, it will indeed reduce intermittent interruptions by the system which causes momentary freezes and hitching. (e.g. certain Microsoft Windows system tasks will be suspended/lowered in priority/etc during playing a game).

And you may get lag improvements in windowed mode (borderless maximized window mode).

Reduced lag in windowed mode can occur when it has the DWM-bypassing enabled (getting tearing in full screen borderless window mode). But that is simply a symptom of DWM-bypassing itself -- skipping that extra framebuffer of the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) during windowed mode. DWM does the stuff like composing multiple windows into one desktop before displaying to the screen, translucency effects, etc. And historically, DWM always run in permanent VSYNC ON mode, even in borderless windowed mode. But if you're already in full screen (exclusive mode, not borderless maximized window mode) -- then DWM is already being bypassed even in the days before Game Mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jul 2017, 10:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Reduced lag in windowed mode can occur when it has the DWM-bypassing enabled (getting tearing in full screen borderless window mode).
I think this is affected only by the "fullscreen optimization" setting, not "game mode."

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jul 2017, 11:26

RealNC wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Reduced lag in windowed mode can occur when it has the DWM-bypassing enabled (getting tearing in full screen borderless window mode).
I think this is affected only by the "fullscreen optimization" setting, not "game mode."
Yes, thanks for this little clarification.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MordecaiW

Post by MordecaiW » 22 Oct 2017, 05:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Lag tests by multiple parties have shown Game Mode (at least in exclusive full screen mode) doesn't have lag improvement.

However, it will indeed reduce intermittent interruptions by the system which causes momentary freezes and hitching. (e.g. certain Microsoft Windows system tasks will be suspended/lowered in priority/etc during playing a game).
Chris A.K.A. Battle(non)sense on youtube, has done testing with the Windows 10 game mode in exclusive fullscreen that shows it *does* have an effect on input delay when it is enabled (~5ms reduced delay, tested in both Battlefield 1 and Overwatch):

https://youtu.be/mVNRNOcLUuA?t=8m57s

Anyone willing to verify these results? It seems you have data to the contrary from "multiple parties". Perhaps it is something worthy or re-testing?

It would also be nice to see these results compared with input delay in Windows 7, to see how that stacks up against Windows 10 with this enabled.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Oct 2017, 18:15

MordecaiW wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Lag tests by multiple parties have shown Game Mode (at least in exclusive full screen mode) doesn't have lag improvement.

Chris A.K.A. Battle(non)sense on youtube, has done testing with the Windows 10 game mode in exclusive fullscreen that shows it *does* have an effect on input delay when it is enabled (~5ms reduced delay, tested in both Battlefield 1 and Overwatch):

Anyone willing to verify these results? It seems you have data to the contrary from "multiple parties". Perhaps it is something worthy or re-testing?

It would also be nice to see these results compared with input delay in Windows 7, to see how that stacks up against Windows 10 with this enabled.
(We're not the ones who tested)

Battle(non)sense is right. I'll trust Chris more than the other mainstream sites.

The "multiple parties" you speak of, are some mainstream sites (some big names, I forget which -- it was a long ago) that published shortly after it first came out. Lag savings varied between games, and at the time, they tested many games that had less lag benefit than that. (CS:GO benefits far less than Battlefield, for example).

MordecaiW

Post by MordecaiW » 22 Oct 2017, 18:19

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
MordecaiW wrote:

(We're not the ones who tested)

Battle(non)sense is right. I'll trust Chris more than the other mainstream sites.

The "multiple parties" you speak of, are the mainstream sites that published shortly after it first came out. Lag savings varied between games, and at the time, they tested many games that had virtually no lag benefit from it.
Is there anybody on the site here that has the necessary equipment to test this lag reduction in windows 10 with game mode enabled vs Windows 7 with the same in-game settings, and would be willing to test this? Perhaps Windows 10 could be the best version of Windows for input lag if this is proven. Up until now I've had doubts about that, and it would be nice to see proven, if possible.