Capping fps to 30 on amd cards

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
ljubinko

Capping fps to 30 on amd cards

Post by ljubinko » 11 May 2017, 11:16

Hi all, i want to cap my fps to 30 on my 60hz monitor i have amd r7 250 graphics card, what's the best method to cap my fps without input lag, stuttering, tearing i try'ed radeonpro double vsync with rtss cap on 30 but games crashes, without rtss radeonpro working for some games. Thanks.

Sparky

Re: Capping fps to 30 on amd cards

Post by Sparky » 11 May 2017, 11:59

An in game framerate cap is the lowest latency. RTSS is 1 frame higher than that, and Radeonpro is yet higher than RTSS.

Framerate caps won't prevent tearing, for that you need v-sync(or freesync). As for stuttering, the framerate limiters with more latency will be better at smoothing out hitches, but the thing that really matters is the game engine.

ljubinko

Post by ljubinko » 11 May 2017, 12:20

Sparky wrote:An in game framerate cap is the lowest latency. RTSS is 1 frame higher than that, and Radeonpro is yet higher than RTSS.

Framerate caps won't prevent tearing, for that you need v-sync(or freesync). As for stuttering, the framerate limiters with more latency will be better at smoothing out hitches, but the thing that really matters is the game engine.
Sparky thanks, but what exactly i need to use for 30fps cap i'm confused, radeon pro or rtss or other option.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 May 2017, 14:02

ljubinko wrote:Sparky thanks, but what exactly i need to use for 30fps cap i'm confused, radeon pro or rtss or other option.
He just told you :-/

Tell the game to cap to 30FPS. If that's not possible, use RTSS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 May 2017, 14:32

Capping to 30fps is easiest with an in-game limiter.

Not all games have it, but if your game has it (e.g. CS:GO has fps_max configuration setting), use that.
Overwatch has its on-screen menu framerate cap.
If the game doesn't have it, then try using RTSS to cap.

Note: Ideally, it's better to upgrade the GPU to permit consistent 60fps operation. There is still often lag associated with capping to 30fps albiet the predictable consistency (fixed lag) may permit better aiming than wildly-fluctuating 30fps-60fps-30fps situations (erratic lag). The 30fps may not be usable for competitive play, so you might prefer to lower your resolution to maintain 60fps (e.g. 1280x720)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!