Zero to low input lag important for ALL games

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
mdzapeer

Zero to low input lag important for ALL games

Post by mdzapeer » 10 Mar 2014, 15:23

Its true that low input lag benefits fast paced FPS and similar games. But I believe ALL games even the slowest of games benefit from low latency input. Yes even menu driven games, it just adds to immersion factor more when everything is responsive and snappy.

Agree or disagree?

Black Octagon

Re: Zero to low input lag important for ALL games

Post by Black Octagon » 10 Mar 2014, 15:30

Hmmm, not sure. Lag would have to be REAL bad to disturb me in a point-and-click, for instance (don't laugh, I still play them)

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Zero to low input lag important for ALL games

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Mar 2014, 15:48

mdzapeer wrote:Its true that low input lag benefits fast paced FPS and similar games. But I believe ALL games even the slowest of games benefit from low latency input. Yes even menu driven games, it just adds to immersion factor more when everything is responsive and snappy.

Agree or disagree?
Agree, though for me it depends on genre.
Having four frames of lag at 60Hz is unacceptable, while one frame of lag at 120Hz is good.
Far more critical for online FPS competition (where lag is critical), less so for solo gameplay (where I often turn VSYNC ON for better motion fluidity)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!