XL2420T And strobing = input lag?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
solarlfare

XL2420T And strobing = input lag?

Post by solarlfare » 14 Mar 2014, 22:12

Every time i try to run my XL2420T in 2d light-boost it always feels like i have some massive input lag or display lag is their a reason for this ? did some XL2420T's have problems that others didnt?

Aside from that its quite dim to view with 2d light-boost on i'm assuming that's par for the course though ..

I've tried it a few times always end up turning it off.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2420T And strobing = input lag?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2014, 23:17

solarlfare wrote:Every time i try to run my XL2420T in 2d light-boost it always feels like i have some massive input lag or display lag is their a reason for this ? did some XL2420T's have problems that others didnt?

Aside from that its quite dim to view with 2d light-boost on i'm assuming that's par for the course though ..

I've tried it a few times always end up turning it off.
Which LightBoost HOWTO method are you using?

LightBoost only adds an approximate ~4ms average of input lag if you use ToastyX method.
It adds a lot more lag, if you use the 3D emitter method or the EDID method.

Here are tips to improve LightBoost:
- Use the ToastyX Strobelight method.
- Test out fps_max of 118 or 119. It makes LightBoost feels smoother (eliminates most of "lightboost jitteriness")
- Switch your gaming mouse to 1000Hz. The 1000Hz poll rate improvement is more noticeable/important when using LightBoost. (See http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/mouse-guide)

There is always an unavoidable minor input lag with strobe backlights because the whole screen is refreshed in total darkness before the backlight is strobe-flashed after the refresh is completed. The goal is to make the motion clarity benefits (e.g. faster human reaction time) outweigh the minor input lag penalty of doing the strobing. Some people play much better competitively with LightBoost (LightBoost testimonials of improved gaming scores), while others do not -- it depends on the game and the way you play competitively (e.g. tracking eyes on moving objects, etc).

If you are feeling obvious blatantly gigantic input lag (like a monitor with >25ms lag), something is not working correctly. Try unplugging and plugging the monitor, switch to Instant Mode, keep Stereoscopic 3D disabled, and then use ToastyX Strobelight to turn on LightBoost. The LightBoost lag should feel extremely minor, especially if you've followed the above tips. However, even "minor" may not be good for some uber-elite (sponsored/professional) competitive game players, but it shouldn't feel massive (e.g. several frames lag) like a crappy non-gaming monitor -- if that's what you are referring to as "massive".

I do wonder, however, if some older LightBoost monitors (e.g. old XL2420T Version 1.0 units) had abnormally high input lag in LightBoost mode, as I have never measured an XL2420T Version 1.0 unit. This is not the case with newer XL2411T, XL2411Z, XL2420T (Version 2.0) or XL2420Z; I have measured the XL2411T and XL2720Z as having only a ~4ms extra average input lag during strobe mode.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Scout255

Post by Scout255 » 26 Mar 2014, 11:53

Is the input lag on the newer Z monitors reduced by going to 144 Hz instead of 120? If so, how much of a reduction is there? (I do realize that motion clairity is reduced W/ the higher refresh rate unfortunately)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Mar 2014, 12:46

Scout255 wrote:Is the input lag on the newer Z monitors reduced by going to 144 Hz instead of 120? If so, how much of a reduction is there? (I do realize that motion clairity is reduced W/ the higher refresh rate unfortunately)
Yes, there's lower input lag, the higher refresh rate you go.
The motion clarity is still similar for the central zone (after calibration with Strobe Utility) but the size of the crosstalk zone is much larger and far more distracting, especially as the large blanking interval trick (Vertical Total 1350) usually isn't possible at a monitor's maximum refresh rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

etegv

Post by etegv » 04 Apr 2014, 19:53

hi, I have a question

is there a way to disable the 3d stereo mode on an ati card? i have an r9 290

thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Apr 2014, 09:54

etegv wrote:hi, I have a question
is there a way to disable the 3d stereo mode on an ati card? i have an r9 290
thanks
If you are using LightBoost for 2D, then 3D mode is always enabled even if you use it for 2D.
Are you talking about LightBoost for 3D, or for 2D?
If you are using ToastyX Strobelight, you just turn OFF the strobing that way.

If these don't answer your question, can you describe your situation in more detail?
Which app are you using to enable the "3D" mode -- ToastyX Strobelight? Another LightBoost hack? Or something else?