Is Bodnar input lag tester accurate?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is Bodnar input lag tester accurate?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 May 2014, 09:55

flood wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:VGA is the lowest lag, while HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort has a bit more.
Are there actual measurements of this? or is it something related to the HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort protocols?
I suppose it varies depending on the graphics card and monitor...
Measurements were made by numerous websites many years ago when the digital connections first came out, including AnandTech, and it was found to be minor (e.g. 1ms or 2ms).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

flood

Re: Is Bodnar input lag tester accurate?

Post by flood » 04 May 2014, 14:20

it would be interesting to try that again on modern hardware.
The only thing I could find is
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3754/a-ne ... w-review/8
In addition, using the VGA input on any LCD is bound to add additional lag, as this is definitely a hardware scaler operation to go from analog to digital signaling, compared to the entirely digital DVI datapath.
This makes sense but there could be some overhead inherent in DVI. Regardless it's not a big deal and I avoid vga on lcd screens simply to not have to adjust phase.