NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency - How It Works & Why You Want To Use It

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
jorimt

Re: NVIDIA Reflex Low Latency - How It Works & Why You Want To Use It

Post by jorimt » 08 Mar 2023, 12:06

Patryk wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 10:52
Does anyone know how I can fix Reflex + VSync + ULLM locking frames to 225? I expected it to jump to at least 260 fps when I changed monitors, but it seems to be stuck at 225 from previous 240Hz monitor. I've tried switching each option on/off, but that didn't change anything. Am I forced to play without V-Sync and lock my frames manually now? I quite enjoyed the automatic fps cap before.
You didn't mention your new monitor model, or even its maximum refresh rate. Are you saying you now have a higher than 240Hz monitor, and the Reflex/ULLM auto limit is still at ~225 FPS, even when the physical refresh rate is set higher?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Patryk

Post by Patryk » 09 Mar 2023, 09:20

Ouch, yeah, sorry for the lack of details. I did post here way prematurely, mainly because I was trying to find some documentation about how that fps cap works and failed. Monitor is AW2723DF set to 280Hz. That was my fault as it turned out that I had RTSS running for the last 3 years with a cap to 225 fps that I completely forgot about. You don't wanna know how dumb I felt. I really appreciate you trying to help me though!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Mar 2023, 09:29

Patryk wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:20
That was my fault as it turned out that I had RTSS running for the last 3 years with a cap to 225 fps that I completely forgot about.
Ah, it happens (I've left a global RTSS limit enabled at times and wondered why a certain game's FPS won't exceed it myself before).

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

fjskmdl

Post by fjskmdl » 30 Sep 2023, 09:52

Does anyone know what could be the reason i cannot choose nvidia reflex and SMP in the Iracing graphics settings? they are greyed out.
In for example cyberpunk i do can set nvidia reflex

marcel151

Post by marcel151 » 17 Jan 2024, 08:05

I would like to bump this thread for 1-2 specific questions regarding capping the FPS and not capping the FPS.

I thought that you'll get screen tearing when going over monitor refresh rate. Since tearing is triggering me, I always cap my FPS. But I now heard that tearing is negligible when having very high FPS and it will also affect input latency in a positive way. Is that true?

So when playing high FPS games: NVIDIA Reflex ON + driver V-SYNC OFF or application controlled.
When playing not high FPS games or FPS < Monitor Hz: NVIDIA Reflex ON + driver V-SYNC ON.

Correct? Are there any tests out there when comparing NVIDIA Reflex High FPS vs screen cap input latency?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 17 Jan 2024, 09:34

marcel151 wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 08:05
I thought that you'll get screen tearing when going over monitor refresh rate. Since tearing is triggering me, I always cap my FPS. But I now heard that tearing is negligible when having very high FPS and it will also affect input latency in a positive way. Is that true?
See:
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ettings/9/
marcel151 wrote:
So when playing high FPS games: NVIDIA Reflex ON + driver V-SYNC OFF or application controlled.
When playing not high FPS games or FPS < Monitor Hz: NVIDIA Reflex ON + driver V-SYNC ON.
Up to context and what you're trying to accomplish.
marcel151 wrote:
Are there any tests out there when comparing NVIDIA Reflex High FPS vs screen cap input latency?
The link I shared covers those scenarios indirectly.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2024, 13:45

PSA: The latest version of RTSS allows you to use Reflex in every DX11 and DX12 game and limit FPS using the Reflex limiter rather than the normal RTSS limiter:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-a ... st-6172420
Added new framerate limiting mode : NVIDIA Reflex mode. In this mode RivaTuner Statistics Server completely disables its own precise framepacing implementation and uses NVIDIA's own framerate limiter instead. This mode is mainly intended to be used in conjunction with DLSS Frame Generation, which is generally not compatible with any third party framerate limiters. However you can also use this mode in the games with no native NVIDIA Reflex support, because enabling NVIDIA Reflex framerate limiter in such titles will also enable Reflex low-latency mode as a side effect. Please take a note that NVIDIA Reflex framerate limiting mode is currently supported on NVIDIA GPUs and in Direct3D11/Direct3D12 applications only. If you try to enable it on unsupported hardware on in unsupported applications, RivaTuner Statistics Server will fall back to default async framerate limiting mode.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 17 Jan 2024, 14:09

RealNC wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 13:45
PSA: The latest version of RTSS allows you to use Reflex in every DX11 and DX12 game and limit FPS using the Reflex limiter rather than the normal RTSS limiter:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-a ... st-6172420
Added new framerate limiting mode : NVIDIA Reflex mode. In this mode RivaTuner Statistics Server completely disables its own precise framepacing implementation and uses NVIDIA's own framerate limiter instead. This mode is mainly intended to be used in conjunction with DLSS Frame Generation, which is generally not compatible with any third party framerate limiters. However you can also use this mode in the games with no native NVIDIA Reflex support, because enabling NVIDIA Reflex framerate limiter in such titles will also enable Reflex low-latency mode as a side effect. Please take a note that NVIDIA Reflex framerate limiting mode is currently supported on NVIDIA GPUs and in Direct3D11/Direct3D12 applications only. If you try to enable it on unsupported hardware on in unsupported applications, RivaTuner Statistics Server will fall back to default async framerate limiting mode.
Maybe it's just me and I read this before, but what game offers FrameGen but not Reflex?

How useful is this, precisely?
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2024, 14:15

Kyouki wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 14:09
How useful is this, precisely?
From how I understood it, it means you can enable Reflex in all DX11 and DX12 games. FrameGen is not required. The games might even be 10 years old where neither FrameGen nor Relfex existed yet.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

marcel151

Post by marcel151 » 19 Jan 2024, 12:06

jorimt wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 09:34
marcel151 wrote:
Up to context and what you're trying to accomplish.
I am trying to accomplish to minimize input lag and not having tearing. I can see that you did the test with 60 Hz and having quite significant improvements when not capping your FPS. But what when doing it with a higher refresh rate of e.g. 144 Hz? I think the improvements in terms of latency between V-SYNC (NVCP) ON and OFF while using Reflex would be way less?