Input Lag my Monitor

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Input Lag my Monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jun 2014, 15:47

RealNC wrote:What I meant was there were not enough squares in the picture, since it was taken in portrait mode.
Oh right - yes, you are right.
Although, that would be only important if the illuminated squares were offscreen. In this specific case, this new photo is valid because the start thru end squares are all visible, in enough numbers to confirm lack of frameskipping at 76Hz
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alex667

Post by alex667 » 07 Jun 2014, 15:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RealNC wrote:What I meant was there were not enough squares in the picture, since it was taken in portrait mode.
Oh right - yes, you are right.
Although, that would be only important if the illuminated squares were offscreen. In this specific case, this new photo is valid because the start thru end squares are all visible, in enough numbers to confirm lack of frameskipping at 76Hz
Some things to ask again sorry but thank you for your help ^^ :

1. You told me on another thread that there are EU stores who deliver with v2 preinstalled ( xl2411z).
Can you link me one ? Anything but not britain (uk) amazon ...^^

2.Do you think my monitor right now has a very low input lag with capped 128 fps and v sync off ?

3.How much hz do I need to feel a smooth gameplay ? It still looks weird with 76 hertz.

thanks so far for help

e: and excuse my english

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jun 2014, 17:43

alex667 wrote:1. You told me on another thread that there are EU stores who deliver with v2 preinstalled ( xl2411z).

2.Do you think my monitor right now has a very low input lag with capped 128 fps and v sync off ?

3.How much hz do I need to feel a smooth gameplay ? It still looks weird with 76 hertz.
1. BENQ Europe's online store at http://www.benq.eu sells Version 2 of the BENQ Z-Series monitors. This is guaranteed if you really don't want to take a risk. Amazon USA/Canada is now confirmed V2 too. Some of the Amazon resellers in Europe now sell V2 but it's hard to guarantee it as V1 reports keep popping up now and then. If you don't mind trying, get BENQ Z-Series V2 on Amazon Germany/France/Spain/Italy/UK as several of the Amazon resellers are now shipping Version 2 (the ones "Shipped and fufilled by Amazon").

2. I think your monitor now has low lag, but refresh rate does not guarantee low lag. There are low-lag 60Hz monitors with less input lag than higher-lag older 120Hz monitors (e.g. certain older Samsung models).

3. Depends -- there are a number of variables. Sometimes 60Hz is smoother than 120Hz. However, if you can run your games in the neighborhood 120 frames per second, then 120Hz looks a hell lot better than any framerate at 60Hz. Also, refresh rate isn't everything, there's also persistence, see PHOTOS: 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost. Low-persistence reduces motion blur a lot. And there's also variable refresh rate technologies such as GSYNC that can make low framerates much smoother looking.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

flood

Post by flood » 08 Jun 2014, 00:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Sometimes 60Hz is smoother than 120Hz.
wwhat?? how is that possible?

alex667

Post by alex667 » 08 Jun 2014, 06:05

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
alex667 wrote:1. You told me on another thread that there are EU stores who deliver with v2 preinstalled ( xl2411z).

1. BENQ Europe's online store at http://www.benq.eu sells Version 2 of the BENQ Z-Series monitors. This is guaranteed if you really don't want to take a risk. Amazon USA/Canada is now confirmed V2 too. Some of the Amazon resellers in Europe now sell V2 but it's hard to guarantee it as V1 reports keep popping up now and then. If you don't mind trying, get BENQ Z-Series V2 on Amazon Germany/France/Spain/Italy/UK as several of the Amazon resellers are now shipping Version 2 (the ones "Shipped and fufilled by Amazon").

2. I think your monitor now has low lag, but refresh rate does not guarantee low lag. There are low-lag 60Hz monitors with less input lag than higher-lag older 120Hz monitors (e.g. certain older Samsung models).

3. Depends -- there are a number of variables. Sometimes 60Hz is smoother than 120Hz. However, if you can run your games in the neighborhood 120 frames per second, then 120Hz looks a hell lot better than any framerate at 60Hz. Also, refresh rate isn't everything, there's also persistence, see PHOTOS: 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost. Low-persistence reduces motion blur a lot. And there's also variable refresh rate technologies such as GSYNC that can make low framerates much smoother looking.
Thanks.

1. On the EU store there is no "xl2411z" listed. look there : http://shop.benq.eu/store/benqeu/en_GB/ ... D.27926500

2. I am currently playing csgo with 75hz and 200 fps (uncapped) but the fps isnt droping hard. And in my eyes I feel there is something not smooth. I dont know if it is just my monitor or my mouse or my keyboard.

3.SO a new monitor is not really worth when I just want to have low input lag for competetive csgo gaming ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jun 2014, 10:03

flood wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:Sometimes 60Hz is smoother than 120Hz.
wwhat?? how is that possible?
Very occasional situations where you have a 60fps-locked game that plays stutterfree at 60Hz than 120Hz
Frames can repeat 3:1:3:1:3:1 instead of 2:2:2:2:2:2. At this point, 60hz becomes nicer.

flood

Post by flood » 08 Jun 2014, 19:36

uh any actual examples of that? I guess it could happen when using sli on a 60fps game.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jun 2014, 21:20

120Hz is almost always better, of course. I'm just saying there has been exceptions in the past, where the microstutter harmonic frequencies are better at a specific refresh rate. In fact, you pointed out in another thread lowering the monitor refresh rate to 100Hz solved mouse microstutters for a 500Hz/1000Hz mouse, since it's a multiple of the mouse Hz.

There's the strobing use case, where you need one-strobe-per-frame for the best effect, so 60Hz impulse-driving has clearer motion than than 120Hz impulse-driving for a 60fps-limited game.

There's also movie playback, as several movie players have had problems playing 60fps smoothing during 120Hz operation, because they aren't perfectly synchronizing to every other VSYNC (e.g. variable bitrate where sometimes some 60fps frames take slightly more than 1/120sec to decode, and other frames take slightly less than 1/120sec to decode).

The microstutter harmonics effect happens in certain games where some 60Hz frames may be rendered a little slower than 1/120sec and others a little longer than 1/120sec (e.g. your GPU utilization is hovering around roughly the 50% level), causing the occasional early/missed VSYNC. It happens with just about any 60fps-limited game during the "exact 50% GPU workload situation" where falling to 49% one frame then going to 51% the next frame, 48% the next frame, 51% the next frame, causes the 1:3:1:3 microstutter effect. It does not matter which game, but by the specific scenes that hit that midpoint of GPU workload. It happens when your GPU workload is hovering around the 1/120sec interval (two 1/1210sec intervals make a single 60fps frametime, so varying missing a VSYNC or being on time on a VSYNC). I'm obviously talking about the VSYNC ON situation -- whether double buffered or triple buffered -- because triple buffering during a 60fps framecap during either 60Hz or 120Hz, actually ends up looking almost like double-buffered motion, with some stutter harmonics.

Input lag is a different story altogether, as 120Hz can reduce input lag relative to 60Hz, and many 120Hz monitors have faster pixel response (which also reduces effective input lag too), amongst less monitor processing latencies.

Again, you would agree with me that 120Hz is almost always better -- just not "unamiously always" as there are exceptions.

That said, any 120Hz monitor can easily be run in 60Hz mode, so it's not an excuse not to buy a 120Hz monitor :D

We're getting back off topic, so back to the original OP's question.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jun 2014, 21:27

alex667 wrote:3.SO a new monitor is not really worth when I just want to have low input lag for competetive csgo gaming ?
Most CS:GO players report that 120Hz has definitely been worth it for them. It makes the CS:GO gaming experience more enjoyable, especially during the hectic moments where you've got lots of on-screen motion.

A blind test shows that gamers overwhelmingly prefer 120Hz over 60Hz:
http://techreport.com/news/25051/blind- ... resh-rates
(The numbers reached almost 90%)

So, yes, the bottom line -- it is a worthwhile purchase if your CS:GO game is able to run at >100fps.