vertical scan lines in fast paced games

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
kPhobos

vertical scan lines in fast paced games

Post by kPhobos » 04 May 2022, 14:58

Hello,

i have always been into anything performance, wether its for cars, pc's, peripherals, and monitors. i have a BenQ xl2546 monitor, which i run at a custom resolution (1512x1080) as i've been playing all my fps games since quake 3, at a somewhat 4:3 resolution. I know my current one isnt one, but thats not what i wanted to talk about.

I used to have a msi 240 hz monitor, cant remember the name. before i got this one, i switched because of response times, and customizability. on both monitors i've noticed when i play Apex Legends, that i often get vertical scanlines when moving around. I have tested this out in the aim trainer called kovaaks, where the back walls in my scenarios, which are large purle squares with black outlines , tend to tear up aswell. the issue lies in the black lines in Kovaaks. the game runs constant 240 fps with no dips, tried 241 fps cap aswell, but with same results. I was thinking if there was a way to get rid of these lines, which kinda feels like micro stutters on the monitors end, but in very specific areas. i don't play with vsync, as i play on a competetive level, so i need the best input latency possible. can anyone help me out to find a solution for this? its not doing it constantly, but its very apparent when it happens, which is really off putting, when i try to single out targets.

tried running 1920x1080, but with no difference... i use CRU to get the custom res, but haven't changed any other values, as i have a hard time understanding when to use what, and what values to set.

any help is appreciated - if needed i can try and get recordings of my issue, but i don't know what it will look like when recorded with a 240fps camera

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: vertical scan lines in fast paced games

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 May 2022, 18:18

This is probably called an "inversion artifact". Purples/greens, chessboard-texture artifacts, and scanlines artifacts during motion, are often all traced to the voltage inversion logic of the LCD (balancing), and sometimes the inversion logic is not perfect, creating visible inversion artifacts.

This is hard to fix without buying a new monitor.

You could change refresh rate, or change strobe settings, and see if it changes things. If this doesn't solve it, you have to try a different monitor specimen.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

kPhobos

Post by kPhobos » 05 May 2022, 10:02

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 May 2022, 18:18
This is probably called an "inversion artifact". Purples/greens, chessboard-texture artifacts, and scanlines artifacts during motion, are often all traced to the voltage inversion logic of the LCD (balancing), and sometimes the inversion logic is not perfect, creating visible inversion artifacts.

You could change refresh rate, or change strobe settings, and see if it changes things. If this doesn't solve it, you have to try a different monitor specimen.
i did the 182hz settings, to see if this does anything, whilst still running 240fps. will report back later, to see if it does any bbig difference.

its funny you mention the purple/green artifacts, because my target models are green in kovaaks, and the backwall is purple/black large squares :p

imma do some testing

kPhobos

Post by kPhobos » 09 May 2022, 13:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 May 2022, 18:18

When i initially changed the strobing and 182hz settings everything was buttery smooth, then it started to feel more stuttery than before, didn't change anything, the day before everything was smooth, next day it just felt kinda off - any suggestions?